Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL Demographics -- CHL, NCAA, Euro and Birthplaces.....real data.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHL Demographics -- CHL, NCAA, Euro and Birthplaces.....real data.

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    Data: The WCHA was founded (named) in 1961. The CCHA was founded in 1971. The fracture of these conferences in 2011 has astonished and dismayed reactionary (check definition) hockey fans on this site. One of the better hockey players in 1960, Rocket Richard, earned $25 thousand Canadian. In 2010 the AVERAGE NHL player was paid $2.4 million dollars. In 2011 the CCHA and the WCHA underwent major changes.
    Not data: College hockey fans believe their team's success relies upon the number of NHL draftees among their recruits and players, as evidenced by the posts on this site. You can ignore this financial data as inconsequential or you can reach some conclusions which may defy reactionary doctrine.
    Come again?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Come again?
      Slap, I'd like to request that you replace "Come again?" with "Ok". Osorojo needs a hug. *****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/icon_confused2.gif******

Comment

How much NHL players are paid has a greater impact upon college hockey than where NHL players were born.
        Since the CCHA and the WCHA were founded there have been spectacular changes in NHL player compensation.
        Only short-sighted individuals were surprised by or confused about the motive for realigning college hockey conferences.
        If you want to see where college hockey is headed look where the money in hockey is going.

Comment

I'm not sure how NHL salaries have anything to do with conference realignments in the NCAA. I can certainly see where television money, like for the Big 10 network, has an impact, but to me that is independent of the NHL.

I would agree, if this is what Osorojo is hinting at, that the huge increase in NHL salaries over the years is more of an incentive for NCAA bound players to cash in early and take their signing bonus and run ...
          "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
            How much NHL players are paid has a greater impact upon college hockey than where NHL players were born.
            Since the CCHA and the WCHA were founded there have been spectacular changes in NHL player compensation.
            Only short-sighted individuals were surprised by or confused about the motive for realigning college hockey conferences.
            If you want to see where college hockey is headed look where the money in hockey is going.
            I disagree. There are only a handful of Minnesotans in the CHL now, and will only be a handful of Minnesotans in the CHL in 20 years. Unless Minnesota's culture changes, that won't change. And it isn't just Minnesota. WI and ND to a smaller extent.

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
              Great Job cetihrca!

Confirms the conventional wisdom in Canada that roughly half of the NHL players come through the CHL. Not remotely close to the 1/3-1/3-1/3 mix espoused by certain NCAA coaches.
              One wonders if these coaches knowingly spread such misinformation, though that is somewhat hard to believe in this day and age of instant information verification. I think it’s more of a case of them not really knowing or understanding much about the CHL and that could also explain why they lose some high profile recruits.....as the old saying goes, you must know your enemy!

Anyway, some great leg work there cetihcra

Comment

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say Mike Eaves doesn't understand the CHL. I think it's more likely he meant something other than active players in the NHL. Anyone have the breakdown for players drafted, regardless of whether they saw any NHL ice time?

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                  I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say Mike Eaves doesn't understand the CHL. I think it's more likely he meant something other than active players in the NHL. Anyone have the breakdown for players drafted, regardless of whether they saw any NHL ice time?
                  Without looking, I can tell you that the NCAA never had as many nor more players drafted as the CHL...I believe Eaves was quite explicit in his comment and believed what he said about the breakdown of players in the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                    Without looking, I can tell you that the NCAA never had as many nor more players drafted as the CHL...I believe Eaves was quite explicit in his comment and believed what he said about the breakdown of players in the NHL.
                    Yeah, he was pretty explicit. Why make the comment if you aren't sure though?

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                      Yeah, he was pretty explicit. Why make the comment if you aren't sure though?
                      Again, it appears that he really doesn't understand the CHL and its relationship with the NHL...goes back to knowing your enemy.

Comment

Working...
                      X