Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2011-2012 hockey thread

Crap! 2 years in a row with this goalie stuff. I'm glad we have our 5th year senior Hunwick coming back.

Summer is my least favorite season because that seems to be when we hear all the awful hockey news.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

From annarbor.com

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/john-...will-turn-pro/
      The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
        UND had the same problem with JT Miller this year, decommitted to play for some OHL team. Brad Schlossman posted some interesting statistics on all the NHL players on the OHL team v NHL players from UND and it was a landslide in favor of UND. Some fans think more games is better for player development, personally I think Red Berenson and UMich training facilities probably blow any OHL team out of the water.
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Just chalk it up to the Big Ten Hockey conference Karma......

**** on everybody else and it eventually happens to you....

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
            Just chalk it up to the Big Ten Hockey conference Karma......

**** on everybody else and it eventually happens to you....
            That's a bunch of poy and you know it. Get a friggin program and you wouldn't have to run around like chicken little and lay blame.

The same thing just happened to Miami, UND, etc. It's happening to US COLLEGE HOCKEY.

You can't legislate against unethical behavior and poaching. USA Hockey, CHL, NHL all seek the same end game-
            get the talent in their system at any cost or by any tactic. Gibson isn't clean on this, either- he played his hand real well and Michigan got screwed with
            two months left before the pre-season practices start. It doesn't help that college hockey is riding in an rudderless ship right now, too.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              That's a bunch of poy and you know it. Get a friggin program and you wouldn't have to run around like chicken little and lay blame.

The same thing just happened to Miami, UND, etc. It's happening to US COLLEGE HOCKEY.

You can't legislate against unethical behavior and poaching. USA Hockey, CHL, NHL all seek the same end game-
              get the talent in their system at any cost or by any tactic. Gibson isn't clean on this, either- he played his hand real well and Michigan got screwed with
              two months left before the pre-season practices start. It doesn't help that college hockey is riding in an rudderless ship right now, too.
              Yeah this sucks
              but as this post states http://thecollegehockeyblog.com/2011...6-16-michigan/
              good thing we have Shawn coming back between the pipes.

Also as the college hockey blog points out we have Zach Hyman to look forward to and on D Brennan Serville.

But ranking us #16 is too low IMO.

Comment

Just a reminder that the alumni game is this Friday, August 5. That means we're already more than half way through the off-season.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new scoreboard in action for the first time.

Comment

I'm fine with Hunwick between the pipes this year but I am getting real nervous about next year.
                  Like mentioned earlier this is two years in a row. Also don't forget about Bacasishua (sp?) though that was several years ago.

On a different note - I just renewed my season tickets - $525 each this year +$10 processing, $1060 total. For those who don't know where I sit those are right on the blue line.
                  Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                  Row 1
                  Seats 6 & 7
                  Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Big Papa.....there are several reasons why the Wolverines attract top blue chip recruits. Among them are:
                    1. Having an icon Head Coach in Red Beranson
                    2. Having seasoned veteran assistants (until Mel Pearson left for Michigan Tech) in Mel Pearson & Billy Powers.
                    3. Proximity to the USA Development Program also in Ann Arbor
                    4. Recruiting a year ahead for the very best student/atheletes. They use "bird dogs" to legally communicate with the chosen ones they are interested in and have them contact the program so they can talk to them and get a commitment. It's a win-win deal as the recrit can enjoy their Junior & Senior years without going through the recruiting wars and Michigan skims the creme de la creme from the Junior class while most of the rest are focused on Seniors.
                    5. This all combines into recriting momentum that's a real juggernaut!!!!

Comment

I think he was refering more towards the Big Ten schools leaving the CCHA and WCHA to form the BTHC. Did Michigan really have a choice once the die was cast? Nope, but Michigan didn't do a whole lot else to stop em from setting up the mold either.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I cant wait to see the new scoreboard in action tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          I think he was refering more towards the Big Ten schools leaving the CCHA and WCHA to form the BTHC. Did Michigan really have a choice once the die was cast? Nope, but Michigan didn't do a whole lot else to stop em from setting up the mold either.
                          I don't completely buy that, either. TBTC is an established major athletic conference- it only makes sense that once a sixth BTC hockey team is established, that they would take advantage of the riches a sanctioned hockey league would bring. It's not like this was unexpected, nor a surprise.

The reaction by certain WCHA teams, though, is a bit puzzling. The "super conference" consists of small time programs (in other athletics) in comparison to the Big Ten schools. It is simply a money grab on their part and an attempt to shed the bottom feeders in their league in order to compete with an even tougher schedule so they could still be a major player in the NCAA hockey tournament- whatever that may shape up to be. If anything, fans from the programs left holding the bag should vent their spleens at those teams-sans Miami- which destroyed what was still going to be a perfectly competitive conference.

AND, as I tried to point out- Michigan Tech hasn't been a relevant program since the early 1980's. Whose fault is that? Why has other like sized schools had better success than they since that time? Why wasn't there more urgency to demand that their hockey program should have had more investment by the school? Why is it that programs like UNO- 11 years at D1- has been more progressive and forward thinking about their athletics than a former NCAA power and member of the elitist WCHA? Bemidji State? How is the forming of the BTHC suddenly responsible for all of this, as if MTU wasn't already on life support? THAT was my subtle point.

BUT, aside from that, the karma factor when it comes to recruits bolting two months before the season can't be attributed to that separate issue- it's just sour grapes from a fanbase that is eager to blame anyone for the demise of their program or conference. It can be attributed to NHL teams like Anaheim or LA directing their draftees to the CHL in order to develop them in the manner they think is best. Certainly the 17-18 year old can say no and choose his own path, but $$ talks and the leverage used by the CHL and theNHL is broad. It doesn't serve the character image of the former recruit much, and it's business as usual for the pro teams.
                          Last edited by streaker; 08-05-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Speaking of Hunwick.... Nice article on him...
                            http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...shawn_hunwick/
                            He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

it's just sour grapes from a fanbase that is eager to blame anyone for the demise of their program or conference.
                              Don't go lumping all of us into that category, please.

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
                                Speaking of Hunwick.... Nice article on him...
                                http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...shawn_hunwick/
                                Yes great article on Shawn, He is an awesome goalie.
                                Can't wait until the home opener, heck, even exhibition games will be great.

Comment

Working...
                                X