This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    My point is that I see teams (their fans at least) whining about what they will lose from these games against bigger schools. Rather, the schools, should they continue playing hockey, should adapt and work on drawing more casual fans. My opinion is that winning more often will offset that.
    Do you read? I've said it's not so much losing the games (but let's take two or three of the biggest-drawing weekends away from your school and see how you do) as it is losing the perception of being a serious D-I conference. A "Northern Sun Hockey Conference" is simply not going to excite the locals, or the students for that matter. And that's a fact.

If "winning" was all that mattered, then Gustavus Adolphus should be able to fill a 5000 seat arena in their D-III conference. But they don't, because it is not seen as big-time college hockey, just like the WCHA leftovers would be seen.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Re: The end of leagues as we know?

And this is why I knew the Big 10 would end college hockey as we know it. The small schools will die because as soon as the Big 10 decided to kick them out then all the other big hockey schools would do the same to keep pace. Anyone who thought UND, Miami, Notre Dame, etc. wouldn't follow suit was kidding themselves.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Follow the money. Do not forget that taxpayers have been obliged to finance many private sports venues.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Few. A lot start in the papers or in reputable blogs. Then like wild fires, they take on a life of their own and spread and spread and spread.

But - the BTHC will be the only multisport conference in D-I hockey and hence will have a lot of input in NCAA circles on the future of college hockey. I'm wondering if the Ivy Group needs to split off from the ECAC just to counterbalance (that's a rumor or speculation or wishful thinking).
          I have to say that I'm awfully flattered that you think the NCAA would consider the Ivy League's input on a remotely equal basis with their interest in the B10's input, but I still think you're a little nuts.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            I have to say that I'm awfully flattered that you think the NCAA would consider the Ivy League's input on a remotely equal basis with their interest in the B10's input, but I still think you're a little nuts.
            I'm still banking that the ivies have no reason to split off at this point, given they're getting the autobids quite frequently in recent history.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              And this is why I knew the Big 10 would end college hockey as we know it. The small schools will die because as soon as the Big 10 decided to kick them out then all the other big hockey schools would do the same to keep pace. Anyone who thought UND, Miami, Notre Dame, etc. wouldn't follow suit was kidding themselves.
              Ironic that not too long ago several of these schools were considered "small schools" and "second level" hockey schools...how quickly they forget...

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                There are seven other schools in this scenario that are looking to form a conference I would blame the BTHC farce for this mess.
                The new conference won't take a school with an "abusive and hostile" nickname, so you guys will be able to keep your rivalry with BSU.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  You can do what you want, but your school and its fans were the ones bemoaning Minnesota and Wisconsin for doing what was in their best interests. Now it appears you are doing the same thing. It may hurt your feelings that your precious little UND is now as big a ******s as the Big Ten is, but it doesn't change the fact that it is the truth.

You are going to dump the same schools the Big Ten teams did and screw them over for the exact same reason. If you deny it, you are nothing but a hypocrite. Since we know that is true, feel free to deny it....
                  Wow! So Hand-job let me make sure that I get this right... It's OK for the BTHC Farce to blow up College hockey for the sake of making more money and not wanting to play the small schools like Bemidji's and Mankato's of the world because they are the almighty Big Ten and everyone knows that college hockey revolves around them. But the flip side of that argument for college hockey fans in general, who basically aren't happy about the Big Ten formation; so when their teams/schools try to answer the formation of the Big Ten Hockey Conference with a possible college hockey formation of their own, our fans aren't allowed to be happy about it or applaud the move because it's now considered hypocritical? I just want to make sure that I have your logic right. What kind of ****en logic is that?
                  Last edited by Goon; 07-03-2011, 05:36 PM.
                  Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                  Eric's Twitter
                  The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Wow! So Hand-job let me make sure that I get this right... It's OK for the BTHC Farce to blow up College hockey for the sake of making more money and not wanting to play the small schools like Bemidji's and Mankato's of the world because they are the almighty Big Ten and everyone knows that college hockey revolves around them. But the flip side of that argument for college hockey fans in general, who basically aren't happy about the Big Ten formation; so when their teams/schools try to answer the formation of the Big Ten Hockey Conference with a possible college hockey formation of their own, our fans aren't allowed to be happy about it or applaud the move because it's now considered hypocritical? I just want to make sure that I have your logic right. What kind of ****en logic is that?
                    Not exactly. It isn't "ok" for Minnesota and Wisconsin to take off, but yes, if you chastize them but support UND forming a new conference, that's the DEFINITION of hypocritical.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I know that this will rile many feathers but how about a true East/West "powerhouse" league consisting of:

Maine
                      UNH
                      BU
                      BC
                      Providence
                      UMass

Miami
                      Notre Dame
                      UNO
                      North Dakota
                      CC
                      Denver

Scheduling - 3 games vs. division, 1 game vs. each vs. other division, total league games = 21

Travel partners - Maine/UNH, BC/BU, UMass/Providence, Miami/ND, UND/UNO, CC/Denver

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        Not exactly. It isn't "ok" for Minnesota and Wisconsin to take off, but yes, if you chastize them but support UND forming a new conference, that's the DEFINITION of hypocritical.
                        I am glad that my school is being proactive instead of reactive!!!
                        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                        Eric's Twitter
                        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Hey, justify it however you like, but to talk bad about Minnesota, then go out and do the same thing, is pretty dumb.
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                            I know that this will rile many feathers but how about a true East/West "powerhouse" league consisting of:

Maine
                            UNH
                            BU
                            BC
                            Providence
                            UMass

Miami
                            Notre Dame
                            UNO
                            North Dakota
                            CC
                            Denver

Scheduling - 3 games vs. division, 1 game vs. each vs. other division, total league games = 21

Travel partners - Maine/UNH, BC/BU, UMass/Providence, Miami/ND, UND/UNO, CC/Denver
                            Was the inclusion of UMass intentional or unintentional comedy? Vermont would be a better choice or heck, even UMass-Lowell. At least they have had somewhat a taste of national success.

Comment

Fine, be glad.
                              But shut up then about ANY Big Ten school because what your school is doing makes them no better.
                              The majority of true hockey fans on here wanted nothing to do with a BTHC, they wanted to stay where they were but they also knew that they couldn't do anything to stop it as the Big Ten calls the shots and Minnesota wasn't going to spite the Big Ten just for hockey's sake.
                              Your school however is deciding it can't survive without other big name schools so they figure to hell with it, let's do what we want and watch these other schools die.
                              I'm really worried this kills several programs and SCSU will be among them.
                              But go ahead and applaud your school while chastising the Big Ten.
                              Hypocrite.
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                                Do you read? I've said it's not so much losing the games (but let's take two or three of the biggest-drawing weekends away from your school and see how you do) as it is losing the perception of being a serious D-I conference. A "Northern Sun Hockey Conference" is simply not going to excite the locals, or the students for that matter. And that's a fact.

If "winning" was all that mattered, then Gustavus Adolphus should be able to fill a 5000 seat arena in their D-III conference. But they don't, because it is not seen as big-time college hockey, just like the WCHA leftovers would be seen.
                                Not sure why you chose Gustavus Adolphus - they only have had somewhat recent success, a rink capacity of 1000, and enrollment around 2500.

However, I do think I get your point. The fans would see the new league as a step down. And you believe they would not support even a winning team in a weaker league. Is that what you think?
                                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2010 Frozen Four participant
                                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                                X