Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Originally posted by RMUColonials View Post
    I'm wondering if this is more a shot across the bow of the other AHA teams to vote in increased scholarship limits. They were only 1 vote away from passing last year and it would only take one school worried about losing a quarter of the conference to get it through this time.
    I wish I could concur on it being a shot across the bow but considering that the vote was to increase only from 12 to 13 scholies, I find it a stretch to think it is a strong-arm strategy to get to 18.
    GO PURPS!
    Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

I'm wondering if this is more a shot across the bow of the other AHA teams to vote in increased scholarship limits. They were only 1 vote away from passing last year and it would only take one school worried about losing a quarter of the conference to get it through this time.
      I've got no doubt in my mind that the issue will come up the next time the AHA ADs meet. I think that would've happened independent of the CCHA putting out feelers, though.

I've said before, but it will come down to whether the AHA wants to go full scholarship; apart from that, the difference between a reformed CCHA and the AHA is minimal.

The plan of action is pretty much guaranteed to always go:
      1) The CCHA talks to the AHA Four about helping them out.
      2) The AHA Four go back to the AHA Core and says "So, check it, you willing to up the limit for us?"
      3a) The AHA Core says no, and the AHA Four says "Smell ya later."
      3b) The AHA Core says sure, and the AHA Four says "Well, now we've got a hard decision."
      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
        I've got no doubt in my mind that the issue will come up the next time the AHA ADs meet. I think that would've happened independent of the CCHA putting out feelers, though.

I've said before, but it will come down to whether the AHA wants to go full scholarship; apart from that, the difference between a reformed CCHA and the AHA is minimal.

2) The AHA Four go back to the AHA Core and says "So, check it, you willing to up the limit for us?"
        3b) The AHA Core says sure, and the AHA Four says "Well, now we've got a hard decision."
        The AHA isn't going to 18 though regardless...so its a choice between staying and upping to 13 or 14 or leaving and getting 18 plus playing teams with some history...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          The AHA isn't going to 18 though regardless...so its a choice between staying and upping to 13 or 14 or leaving and getting 18 plus playing teams with some history...
          I'm not sure history really matters at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            I'm not sure history really matters at this time.
            Well they certainly are higher profile than most of the 8 teams not looking to change leagues...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Well they certainly are higher profile than most of the 8 teams not looking to change leagues...
              Well that may be true but as you know recent events show that history does not matter as much.

Comment

...getting 18 plus playing teams with some history...
                History of mediocrity, for the most part.
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post

You skipped the step (anywhere in the sequence would be appropriate) where the AHA core says "Hey Canisius: Just leave, please. We're calling your bluff. Good luck getting funding for that arena you still don't have! Hah!"
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I think it's: "12 scholarships, Five non-conference games, 1 auto-bid for 12 teams" versus "18 scholarships, six non-conference games (could be more if they lessen league games), and 1 auto-bid for seven or eight teams."
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Robert Morris wants 18 scholies. End of story. We all know Niagara does, too. Mercyhurst wants the Men's team to get somewhere close to a level that the 'Hurst Women are at. Canisius... well... ummm... I don't know.

My gut says this happens for the RMU, NU, and Mercyhurst for sure. Canisius is probably a 60/40 at this point. UAH getting an invite will all depend on what the four wild cards (WMU, ND, LSSU, and UA_) all end up doing. If two or more of those move, UAH probably gets in. They stay adrift if the 'new' CCHA is sitting with 8 teams after all this shakes out.
                      Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Glad to read that Brophy actually made a statement about the hockey program. Hope it actually means something. Only took Jared Ross trying to organize a fund-raising drive to save the program to wring a few words out of the guy.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ckey_prog.html
                        UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                        2006 Time Person of the Year
                        Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                        It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Things do not sound good...sorry to hear that

Comment

Agreed - The fact that AD Brophy said no decision has been made re D1 hockey continuing does not sound good at all. Then there is the problem of the CCHA probably asking for travel stipends from a program that is likely to be suffering budget cuts.

Very discouraging, to say the least. Will the 2011-2012 schedule be played regardless?

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
                              Agreed - The fact that AD Brophy said no decision has been made re D1 hockey continuing does not sound good at all. Then there is the problem of the CCHA probably asking for travel stipends from a program that is likely to be suffering budget cuts.

Very discouraging, to say the least. Will the 2011-2012 schedule be played regardless?
                              I can't imagine the stipend would be that big of a deal with playoff $ and more home games happening.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                                Glad to read that Brophy actually made a statement about the hockey program. Hope it actually means something. Only took Jared Ross trying to organize a fund-raising drive to save the program to wring a few words out of the guy.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ckey_prog.html
                                I'm glad someone in the media asked him questions about it, and that John Turner and The Huntsville Times did this.
                                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                                U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                                NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                                CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                                CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X