Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Originally posted by RMUColonials View Post
    I would think they would start with the western AHA teams first, rather than reaching for the "outlier" in UAH.
    Exactly.

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Just trying to get everyone a home and keep both the CCHA and WCHA at the mandated six team minimum. That way the two auto bids stay out of the at large pool.
    But it's not about everybody. No one else gives a rip about UAH. It's all about what's best for the individual schools. It was the same two years ago, it was the same five years ago when AFA bolted, it's the same now.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
      Exactly.

But it's not about everybody. No one else gives a rip about UAH. It's all about what's best for the individual schools. It was the same two years ago, it was the same five years ago when AFA bolted, it's the same now.
      Has UAH been in talks with any of the Boston schools for playing a game up here? I am a college hockey fan who lives in Boston and would like to see them. I know they played a set at UML and probably will play a pair at Merimack but it would be nicer to see them play one of the four schools in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Did you guys lose the Maine series? You don't have it listed here, but as far as I know, Maine still has it listed. I'll keep it in for now.
        I'm glad you reminded us of that one. I don't believe it's ever been on the UAH "Tentative" schedule, and I had apparently forgotten it between 6/16 and 6/23.

on 6/16:
        Originally posted by tnlong View Post
        That's interesting. I wonder if they're taking a 2plus-week trip to the area. Thinking Maine might be in the mix, I found them at Maine on Feb. 3 & 4 instead.

Sat. Oct. 1 v's Lake Superior State
        Sun. Oct. 2 v's Lake Superior State
        Fri. Oct. 14 v's Bowling Green State
        Sat. Oct. 15 v's Bowling Green State
        Fri. Nov. 11 @ Providence
        Sat. Nov. 12 @ Providence
        Sat. Nov. 26 @ New Hampshire
        Fri. Dec. 9 @ Minnesota State
        Sat. Dec. 10 @ Minnesota State
        Fri. Dec. 16 @ Bemidji State
        Sat. Dec. 17 @ Bemidji State
        Fri. Jan. 6 @ Denver
        Sat. Jan. 7 @ Denver
        Fri. Jan. 20 @ Minnesota-Duluth
        Sat. Jan. 21 @ Minnesota-Duluth
        Fri. Feb. 3 @ Maine
        Sat. Feb. 4 @ Maine
        Fri. Feb. 10 @ Miami
        Sat. Feb. 11 @ Miami
        on 6/23:
        Originally posted by tnlong View Post
        http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=566835
        http://predators.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm?&gameType=3

The Pred's host the Flyers on Sat. 1/14 and the Blues on Sat. 2/4.
        http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...11-12/schedule
        Last edited by tnlong; 07-14-2011, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
          Has UAH been in talks with any of the Boston schools for playing a game up here? I am a college hockey fan who lives in Boston and would like to see them. I know they played a set at UML and probably will play a pair at Merimack but it would be nicer to see them play one of the four schools in Boston.
          It would have to be next year or later. Those schools are full on their NC schedule this year.

Not to mention, they only effectively get 5 NC games (because of the Beanpot).

Comment

Hey, has anything happened in the last couple of weeks?

I'm pretty sure that there's going to be a spot waiting for us in the next week or two, and that's not based on what I've heard internally. That is all.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Hoping the best UAH - I miss the olden days when they played UAA every year.
              Upper Deck Fan

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                Hey, has anything happened in the last couple of weeks?
                CONFERMAGEDDON!!!

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                I'm pretty sure that there's going to be a spot waiting for us in the next week or two, and that's not based on what I've heard internally. That is all.

GFM
                WE'RE ALL GONNA DI--Huh? Oh...that's nice...
                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by revfnb View Post
                  Hoping the best UAH - I miss the olden days when they played UAA every year.
                  Thanks...UAH actually hosted and visited both UAA and UAF in the same season a number of times in the late '80s and early '90s. (My first Charger game was Nov. 16, 1990 against Fairbanks, and then against Anchorage later that season. Thought it was so cool to be playing them.)
                  Michael Napier - UAH '97
                  uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...schools_to.php

UAH? Nowhere to be found...
                    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                    2006 Time Person of the Year
                    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

At least you were mentioned. I really do hope you find a home, though.

Comment

It's really hard for me to stay excited about this sport considering that once again we will have a major conference realignment and, more than likely, once again, UAH will be left out of the whole picture, and, once again, not a single **** will be given.

Hard to hang out with people who simply don't want you around...
                        I care but I have no control!
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I think you guys will be ok, but it may take a couple more months to know for sure.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

If AK won't leave the CCHA, then the solution is for the CHA to be revived as a conference that includes the AHA schools mentioned plus Bowling Green, Ferris, LSSU, and UAH. If UAH could float that idea backed maybe by the Predators hosting several games each year, it might at least get UAH included in the CCHA conversations as a defensive ploy by them.

Comment

The article was rather AHA-centric rather than CCHA-centric. In fact, the headline could've easily been "AHA commissioner concerned about realignment". It would've been better to get more details from the CCHA side. The CCHA is the league on shaky ground, not the AHA. And if it were more from the CCHA point of view, I think we would have heard more about UAH's chances.

Let's try to analyze the paragraph where UAH is actually mentioned:

"It's also believed that the Atlantic schools are not prepared to play in the league if Alaska is still involved, which could be another sticking point. That sentiment also does not bode well for Alabama-Huntsville, Division I's lone independent, which has been searching unsuccessfully for a new home since the dissolution of the CHA."

This paragraph is rather unclear. Does this mean if Alaska stays, the AHA schools won't come, the CCHA crumbles and UAH's best chance is gone? Or does it mean the AHA schools won't want to replace Alaska with UAH because they feel UAH is still too much of an outlier?

I really don't know what UAH's chances of getting into the CCHA are, but it seems our fate could be determined by these factors:

* Whether Alaska switches to the WCHA.
                              * Whether Western Michigan can follow Notre Dame to the NCHC, if Notre Dame goes to the NCHC.
                              * The number of Atlantic Hockey teams that switch to the CCHA.

Personally, I'd like the answers to these factors to be "Yes", "Yes" and "4". Then UAH could join and make the CCHA a tidy 8-team league. We could conceivably be in the CCHA if it's "No", "No" and "2", but I think that's less likely.
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                                The article was rather AHA-centric rather than CCHA-centric. In fact, the headline could've easily been "AHA commissioner concerned about realignment". It would've been better to get more details from the CCHA side. The CCHA is the league on shaky ground, not the AHA. And if it were more from the CCHA point of view, I think we would have heard more about UAH's chances.
                                The AHA's not exactly the picture of stability if 1/3 of its membership, including two founding members, is in discussions to go elsewhere. And losing most of its top end programs will leave the remnants in...well, let's be honest, an even worse of a craphole league than now.

"It's also believed that the Atlantic schools are not prepared to play in the league if Alaska is still involved, which could be another sticking point. That sentiment also does not bode well for Alabama-Huntsville, Division I's lone independent, which has been searching unsuccessfully for a new home since the dissolution of the CHA."

This paragraph is rather unclear. Does this mean if Alaska stays, the AHA schools won't come, the CCHA crumbles and UAH's best chance is gone? Or does it mean the AHA schools won't want to replace Alaska with UAH because they feel UAH is still too much of an outlier?
                                I'm reading this as "the AHA schools definitely do not want to travel to Alaska on a regular basis". Between the lines, it's saying "travel costs in a new league are a concern of ours". One can thus infer that the travel to UAH would also be a point of concern.

I really don't know what UAH's chances of getting into the CCHA are, but it seems our fate could be determined by these factors:

* Whether Alaska switches to the WCHA.
                                * Whether Western Michigan can follow Notre Dame to the NCHC, if Notre Dame goes to the NCHC.
                                * The number of Atlantic Hockey teams that switch to the CCHA.

Personally, I'd like the answers to these factors to be "Yes", "Yes" and "4". Then UAH could join and make the CCHA a tidy 8-team league. We could conceivably be in the CCHA if it's "No", "No" and "2", but I think that's less likely.
                                I'm not certain that UAH's chances of getting in a league are very good, but it's plausible someone is in a position to "do the right thing" and help them out. That may end up being Atlantic Hockey, as unpalatable an option as that seems to the fans on the board I'm sure. That being said, with many more avenues for non-conference matchups now available with smaller leagues in the West (as now the Big Whatever, the Super Friends, the nWCHA, and the non-Ivy ECAC, will have 10+ non-conference games available), playing an independent schedule may not be as painful as imagined (although tournament access will of course be an issue).
                                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                                X