Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    If Notre Dame were to go to Hockey East, look for them to grab a 12th team. Some ECAC teams have been mentioned in that discussion, as has Miami.
    They should pick up UAH.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      I'm not sure why the WCHA would look here. ...
      The answer is
      http://www.uscho.com/2011/07/06/prop...-wcha-schools/
      UAH could go from being the outcast to being extremely valuable to both the CCHA and WCHA.
      UAH could go from providing incentives to asking for incentives
      Last edited by tnlong; 07-07-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

FYI
        http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/209049/
        "My greatest achievement."
        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

If WMU doesn't get in but Notre Dame does, and assuming that math is OK in the UAH thread...

6 (big ten) + 7 (BHHC) = 13
          11 (CCHA) + 12 (WCHA) + 1 (Penn State) + 1 (UAH) = 25
          25 - 13 = 12 (pretty good number for the size of a league)

Comment

The pessimistic outlook has the remaining CCHA and WCHA teams merging and leaving UAH as the odd-program-out again.

The optimistic outlook would be for a "ballsy" sort to revive the CHA and add Bowling Green, RIT, Minn. St., and S't Cloud St.
            That would leave the remaining northern hockey outposts (minus Bemidji) out-in-the-cold to form a North Conference.

Comment

Reading the title of this thread, I think someone out west needs to tell Geoff, "You're welcome."

Now I just wonder if the dust will settle as fast as it's been whipped up.
              Michael Napier - UAH '97
              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
              U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
              NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
              CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
              CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

It's really hard for me to stay excited about this sport considering that once again we will have a major conference realignment and, more than likely, once again, UAH will be left out of the whole picture, and, once again, not a single **** will be given.

Hard to hang out with people who simply don't want you around...
                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                2006 Time Person of the Year
                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                  ... Hard to hang out with people who simply don't want you around...
                  What we're seeing is that the Alaskas, Mich. Tech., Lake Superior State, Northern Mich., Ferris State, and Bemidji could just as easily fall into that category. I would think that Minn. St. and S't Cloud St. would be as valuable as Western Mich. though. That's why UAH could help craft another new conference to their liking if they had anyone with the energy and ability to make it happen. The resulting WCHA is only a marginally good option for UAH, while the resulting CCHA is a relatively poor option. I'd like to see the Nashville Predators host the A.D.'s from Bowling Green, RIT, Minn. St., S't Cloud St, and the former CHA schools for discussions on the subject. Following-up on the fairly successful first step last year, a UAH/Predators partnership should be pursued aggressively by UAH.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                    It's really hard for me to stay excited about this sport considering that once again we will have a major conference realignment and, more than likely, once again, UAH will be left out of the whole picture, and, once again, not a single **** will be given.

Hard to hang out with people who simply don't want you around...
                    We'll see...I was a bit pessimistic simply because there weren't any doors to be found (let alone open), but that was before the fracturing of the WCHA and the further fracturing of the CCHA. I think the remaining teams will need numbers, and that's where we come in. So I'm optimistic now.

Now if it doesn't happen...well, I'm not going to think about that right now.
                    Michael Napier - UAH '97
                    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Now that the BHHC has been announced, see what you can do to get into the WCHA and get them up to autobid status.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Now that the BHHC has been announced, see what you can do to get into the WCHA and get them up to autobid status.
                        According to the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, the remaining CCHA schools had a call and would like to set up a meeting with the remaining WCHA schools. I'm really hoping we get in on that action.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...e=local_sports
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                          Interesting proposal on making the best of a less-than-ideal situation, but what about Bowling Green? They'd have to be included and one of your East schools left out -- unless the league can manage to have 13, which could be messy.
                          13 doesn't look as bad to me. You play the other 12 teams twice for a 24 game conference slate. Now, scheduling that, given that someone always is either on a bye or on a non-con weekend, that's a different issue.

And I hope that UAH gets in on this as well. If one team drops hockey, that might set off a reaction that none of us want, either.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Can't remember where I have seen parts of this, but adding a couple of my own thoughts to it. Not ideal, but a possible way to stick it to the "big boys" a little bit, if I understand the NCAA rules correctly......

Somehow, the "Leftover Teams" can get to 12 and form two, six team leagues under the CCHA and WCHA brands (not divisions under one league, the NCAA would only issue one autobid then). That way the two leagues would keep the automatic bid given to those two leagues, while, according to NCAA rules, the Big Ten Hocley League and the Yet To Be Named Super League would have to wait two years to get their autobids due to forming new leagues. Then, when the dust settles and IF the NCAA stays at a 16 team tournament, two at large bids are taken from the "big boys" by having two leagues.

WCHA:
                            Alaska-Anchorage (Keep the two game Alaska exemption)
                            Bemidji State
                            St. Cloud State
                            MSU-Mankato
                            Michigan Tech
                            Northern Michigan

CCHA:
                            Alaska-Fairbanks (keep the two game Alaska exemption)
                            Lake Superior State
                            Ferris State
                            Western Michigan (if they don't end up in the Super League)
                            Bowling Green
                            Alabama-Huntsville (outlier, I know, but a home is needed)

If Western Michigan goes to the Super League or Bowling Green (or anyone else) ends up folding, maybe look at Atlantic Hockey for Niagara, Robert Morris or Mercyhurst in the CCHA. One could also move Lake Superior to the WCHA (All UP Teams together) and find another team or two to put in the CCHA.
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                              Can't remember where I have seen parts of this, but adding a couple of my own thoughts to it. Not ideal, but a possible way to stick it to the "big boys" a little bit, if I understand the NCAA rules correctly......

Somehow, the "Leftover Teams" can get to 12 and form two, six team leagues under the CCHA and WCHA brands (not divisions under one league, the NCAA would only issue one autobid then). That way the two leagues would keep the automatic bid given to those two leagues, while, according to NCAA rules, the Big Ten Hocley League and the Yet To Be Named Super League would have to wait two years to get their autobids due to forming new leagues. Then, when the dust settles and IF the NCAA stays at a 16 team tournament, two at large bids are taken from the "big boys" by having two leagues.

WCHA:
                              Bemidji State
                              St. Cloud State
                              MSU-Mankato
                              Michigan Tech
                              Northern Michigan

CCHA:
                              Lake Superior State
                              Ferris State
                              Bowling Green

If Western Michigan goes to the Super League or Bowling Green (or anyone else) ends up folding, maybe look at Atlantic Hockey for Niagara, Robert Morris or Mercyhurst in the CCHA. One could also move Lake Superior to the WCHA (All UP Teams together) and find another team or two to put in the CCHA.
                              It's either that or some crazy set-up involving one 12 team conference. Or one 11 team conference, if everyone feels like screwing UAH again.

Other possibility is that they successfully lobby some more schools to go D-I. Which is a lot of effort to go through just to screw UAH.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

WCHA:
                                Bemidji State
                                St. Cloud State
                                MSU-Mankato
                                Michigan Tech
                                Northern Michigan

CCHA:
                                Lake Superior State
                                Ferris State
                                Bowling Green

Why do people keep referring to a fold by Bowling Green? Last year the school made a major commitment to the program and to upgrade the arena.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X