Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
    500? The Boston-Montreal game I went just before Christmas had 25-30 tops! Heck the people working in the building were unaware of what league or who was on the teams playing....
    Was it in Boston or Montreal?

Comment

The game was in Salem, NH. The Boston games at UNH and Harvard drew less than 200...with minimal paid admissions at UNH. The Boston-Montreal games north of the border drew over 1000 I was told.

Comment

That's because Paciorettyplayed inthat game

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
          500? The Boston-Montreal game I went just before Christmas had 25-30 tops! Heck the people working in the building were unaware of what league or who was on the teams playing....
          The one game I went to, the game wasn't even listed on the Arena Board inside. The ice was listed for a boys game, and actually the game started late. I almost left.

That's what you can expect to get with these bozos still in charge of marketing. I don't know why anyone would waste sponsorship dollars on that sort of operation. Minor hockey in Ontario is better run.

Comment

It cost the X-Treme $300,000 to run every year (apparently) which is why they went under. So who's going to be paying for it? It's not like talent is a problem (who knows what national team players may again relocate to Calgary), Having to fly 20 or so people 5 hours across the continent every week is. Is WestJet or Air Canada going to sponsor this league and offer free flights? The thought is nice but the reality probably isn't there.

But if it works out I'd expect to see a perennial Calgary-Montreal Clarkson Cup final.

Comment

This upcoming year if players make the cut will they be able to chose where they go?
              If make team in Canada would be hard to move from New England since have full time job.

Comment

Originally posted by beantownchica4u View Post
                This upcoming year if players make the cut will they be able to chose where they go?
                If make team in Canada would be hard to move from New England since have full time job.
                I'm not really sure what you're asking. The only teams who were involved in the draft were the GTA teams and only involved players who were based in the GTA. If somebody wanted to play for Montreal or Boston (and now Calgary) they'd get to play there. The rules deciding where players play are (to put it lightly) pretty lax in the CWHL.

Comment

I heard they are trying to bring all teams including Boston and Montreal into the draft. That players if make it would speak to coaches and would try to find best fit for their team.

Comment

Originally posted by beantownchica4u View Post
                    I heard they are trying to bring all teams including Boston and Montreal into the draft. That players if make it would speak to coaches and would try to find best fit for their team.
                    Would probably be even more of a farce than their first draft if that were the case. What are they going to do with the better players who can't/don't want to make a move from the GTA to Montreal or vice-versa? Block them? I doubt it. They're not getting paid so there's no financial motivation and if they can already make the local team the playing level isn't really motivation either. So you're pretty much left with just a draft for the sake of it just to make for a better press release. I don't think anybody who actually follows the league would be tricked into thinking it provides any sort of legitimacy either.

If there is indeed a draft no players, aside from a few in the GTA I guess, will be forced to play somewhere they don't want to.

Comment

This league is a farce plain and simple!! You have a Director of Scouting who probably hasn't seen a college game in about 3 years!! It has been 1 bonehead decision after another!

Expanding to Alberta has done absolutely nothing positive for the game!! All it has done is force the WWHL to exist!! Well Sami and Brenda, I can see the money coming down the trough now!! You have blatantly lied to players over the past two years regarding "payment" and "professional". Those of us in the know, know that this will never come to fruition!!

Brian Burke has already stated that the Maple Leafs will support women's hockey...but they would rather sponsor it on a development level assisting 1000 girl's rather than paying the salaries of 100 women!!

The jig is up ladies....now, show some accountability and step aside!!!

Comment

The desire for a top women's hockey team in Alberta exists for one reason, and that's because of Hockey Canada and centralization. Logistically it makes no sense whatsoever for the CWHL, but it seems they're identifying what has traditionally made sense for the top women's hockey players in Canada which is moving to Calgary. The players will continue to do what's best for them until they actually get paid, this is the CWHL preparing for that to try and keep the best players in the league otherwise it will be back to the days when half a dozen or so national team players are playing in a league with no other good teams.

Providing the option for the best players available to play in the best league available in the city they'll have to move to anyway is positive for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by west View Post
                          The desire for a top women's hockey team in Alberta exists for one reason, and that's because of Hockey Canada and centralization. Logistically it makes no sense whatsoever for the CWHL, but it seems they're identifying what has traditionally made sense for the top women's hockey players in Canada which is moving to Calgary. The players will continue to do what's best for them until they actually get paid, this is the CWHL preparing for that to try and keep the best players in the league otherwise it will be back to the days when half a dozen or so national team players are playing in a league with no other good teams.

Providing the option for the best players available to play in the best league available in the city they'll have to move to anyway is positive for the game.
                          So what happens when centralization occurs?? Will the best players in this league move to Calgary in hopes of playing for the National Team?? All that will do is give Calgary a stacked team like Montreal has had for the past few years!

Unless HC is ponying up some cash this will not work!! And if West Jet or Air Canada decide to give comp airfare....well, I am glad I am not a shareholder!! The feel good story of the CWHL has passed!! It is time for the "leadership" to get their heads out of their butts and take the necessary steps to make this league legitimate..something they feel that they do not need to do as the "draft" and the throwing around of the word "affiliation" seems to make them think that they are!!

I feel sorry for the players in all this as they just want to play and stay out of the administrative mess that is the CWHL!!!

How can having a team in Calgary with players from all the other teams be good for the CWHL?? The WWHL is no more...is that good for women's hockey?? The CWHL will only care about themselves as long as there is someone pulling the strings who only cares about herself!!

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwigg View Post
                            So what happens when centralization occurs?? Will the best players in this league move to Calgary in hopes of playing for the National Team?? All that will do is give Calgary a stacked team like Montreal has had for the past few years!

Unless HC is ponying up some cash this will not work!! And if West Jet or Air Canada decide to give comp airfare....well, I am glad I am not a shareholder!! The feel good story of the CWHL has passed!! It is time for the "leadership" to get their heads out of their butts and take the necessary steps to make this league legitimate..something they feel that they do not need to do as the "draft" and the throwing around of the word "affiliation" seems to make them think that they are!!

I feel sorry for the players in all this as they just want to play and stay out of the administrative mess that is the CWHL!!!

How can having a team in Calgary with players from all the other teams be good for the CWHL?? The WWHL is no more...is that good for women's hockey?? The CWHL will only care about themselves as long as there is someone pulling the strings who only cares about herself!!
                            Perhaps you can share with us what the necessary steps you think would be required to make this the legitimate league you speak of and what action you would take to ensure that this happens. I for one, would be interested in knowing.
                            Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 05-24-2011, 08:26 PM. Reason: spell chick

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwigg View Post
                              When centralization occurs you'll have the same situation you had in 09-10 in the CWHL and WWHL. Lack of talent because none of the best players are playing in the league, they're playing for the national team. As for them having a stacked team, even the Oval X-Treme had a far better team than the local talent should have warranted because national team players moved here. Going beyond the list of flatlanders who were going to move here anyway (Bechard, Sostorics, Antal, Collins, Wickenheiser), you have Campbell, Goyette, Piper, Kingsbury, Bonhomme, Ferrari and several others with short stints because it's where they were going to end up eventually. With the way Winsport is growing it's operations (The $150M Athletic and Ice Complex) it will probably become even more tempting for any potential Olympian to make the move.

What are the steps to become legitimate? Or I suppose a better question would be, what is your idea of legitimacy? I think that far more popular women's sports will show that without affiliations with people who have deep pockets and influence (see: men's leagues and teams) you're going to have nothing more than a legimately amateur league, both in the financial and operational sense.

Who's going to change the administrative mess if the players stay out of it? It's their league, they should be taking up a more active role if they want things to change.

I'm not sure who this puppet master is but I'm sure they're just raking in the cash and prestige of operating the CWHL in the manner they are.

Comment

Originally posted by west View Post
                                When centralization occurs you'll have the same situation you had in 09-10 in the CWHL and WWHL. Lack of talent because none of the best players are playing in the league, they're playing for the national team. As for them having a stacked team, even the Oval X-Treme had a far better team than the local talent should have warranted because national team players moved here. Going beyond the list of flatlanders who were going to move here anyway (Bechard, Sostorics, Antal, Collins, Wickenheiser), you have Campbell, Goyette, Piper, Kingsbury, Bonhomme, Ferrari and several others with short stints because it's where they were going to end up eventually. With the way Winsport is growing it's operations (The $150M Athletic and Ice Complex) it will probably become even more tempting for any potential Olympian to make the move.

What are the steps to become legitimate? Or I suppose a better question would be, what is your idea of legitimacy? I think that far more popular women's sports will show that without affiliations with people who have deep pockets and influence (see: men's leagues and teams) you're going to have nothing more than a legimately amateur league, both in the financial and operational sense.

Who's going to change the administrative mess if the players stay out of it? It's their league, they should be taking up a more active role if they want things to change.

I'm not sure who this puppet master is but I'm sure they're just raking in the cash and prestige of operating the CWHL in the manner they are.
                                As you are in the "west" you probably have not been around long enough to understand the issues surrounding this league and if you don't know who the "puppet master" is, well, then you are even more out of the loop than first imagined.

Okay, I will answer some of your questions pertaining to what I think.

Let's tackle the legitimacy question first...

1.) If you are going to have a draft, have a proper draft!! Don't have one for what the league envisions as "historic". There was nothing historic about this draft and it was totally publicity geared. It was a submitted list of players...no recruiting was done by the league whatsoever. Yes, they have a "Director of Scouting" now who hasn't been to a college game in 3+ years!! You want to talk legitimacy??

2.) Don't confirm something to the players that has not been confirmed! Players were told that there would be salaries and even that GM's and Coaches were told that they were going to get paid. They were told that the "money is coming" and yes, that is a direct quote! Guess what, nothing came and as I told one Coach, I hope he got it in writing!

The problem with the CWHL was that a few players took a position of control and undermined the process of "legitimacy"!! There were meetings whereby the financial status of the league was explained and it was dire, and someone player, no names mentioned, decides to ask for 15k for a dressing room. The problem back then was that some egos were hurt because they were told what should be done, and they did not like it!!

And you are right, without the deep pockets that is what you will have. The problem with that is you have SJS and BA chiming out about the "professional" league that the CWHL is..and sadly, it is not!! Being the "puppet master" has nothing to do with monetary gain but rather control!

The time that they could have capitalized on the 2010 Olympics is long gone!! They also were misguided in the fact that they figured 15,000 fans at the Olympics would transcend into record crowds at their games. We get more people watching my kids HL games!! What they should do...and this is an easy business decision..is stop wasting money on those beautiful season's passes...and allow everyone in for free!!!! Sponsors do not care about the 20 people in the stands who paid $5!! They care about how many people are there PERIOD. And if that means having free admission to get people in, then that is what you should do.

No matter what the CWHL leadership says...NO, I repeat NO NHL affiliation is on the way! There are NHL teams in trouble financially and there are no fewer than 4 teams with "For Sale" signs on them. They have their own financial issues to deal with nevermind throw a $1 million at the CWHL. As Brian Burke stated, they would rather throw money at 1000 female players at the amateur level than to financially support one hundred women with a paycheck!!! So, we will continue to hear the CWHL preach about "dialogue" with the NHL...and it is just that..nothing more!

Unfortunately, this league is light years behind where they should be. This is because you have people making the decisions who have no idea on what it takes to run a successful operation. Medals do not equate to good business savvy...and that has become VERY apparent!

One last thing...why do we even have "centralization"?? The National Women's team is the only HC entity that does this. It cannot be because the Women's side is overly competitive because it is not. It's the same thing over and over..Canada vs. US. Take the money that would be saved from axing centralization and put it back into the women's game at the grassroots level.

Just my 2 cents..X a 1000..LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X