Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 108

Thread: CWHL expands to Alberta

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Airdrie, Alberta
    Posts
    1,178

    CWHL expands to Alberta

    So....Boston has BARELY survived its first year...and there are rumours it wont survive a second...and now this...the Calgary girls FLY five hours for each away game!! Other teams FLY five hours to play Calgary...and no one is being paid...my question is...WHO"S PAYING FOR THESE EXPENSES???

    These girls have full time jobs elsewhere...who's got time for all this travel...AND expense???

    C'mon!!!


    Canadian Elite Women’s Hockey Moves West with League’s Expansion to Alberta
    Tuesday April 19, 2011


    TORONTO, April 19, 2011 - The Canadian Women’s Hockey League (CWHL) today announced their expansion to Alberta, adding a new team to their roster of teams in Boston, Montreal, and Toronto Areas. The CWHL also announced that the team that will join the CWHL for the 2011 -2012 season will be made up of players from various teams in the former Western Women’s Hockey League.

    The expansion into Western Canada makes the CWHL North America’s largest professionally run elite women’s hockey league.

    “This is a momentous announcement for elite women’s hockey in Canada and across North America,” said Brenda Andress, Executive Director of the CWHL. “We are thrilled about the popularity of women’s hockey and are proud to add a new team to our roster, offering new opportunities for North American women to play hockey.”

    The new team will be housed in Calgary, Alberta, and will share their home games with fans across the province by playing in various arenas. Currently, the CWHL has teams in Boston, Brampton, Burlington, Montreal and Toronto.

    “There are so many talented women hockey players in Alberta,” said Arlan Maschmeyer, recently appointed team manager. “We believe we can put together a very competitive team for the League, one that will truly represent the skills of Western Canada’s elite athletes.” Mr. Maschmeyer has been the Operations Director of the Edmonton Chimos of the WWHL since 2009 and also coached the Chimos in the 2008/09 season.

    Also joining the CWHL is Samantha Holmes-Domagala, former member of the Canadian National Women’s Hockey Team program. Samantha will join the sponsorship division of the league working with Sami Jo Small, looking after the needs of the new western team. In 2006 Samantha formed her own team in Calgary, the Strathmore Rockies, after realizing the growth of elite women hockey players in Calgary without a team to play on.

    “The CWHL’s expansion to Western Canada is one of the most positive advances in women’s hockey since its debut as an Olympic sport in 1998,” said Ms. Holmes-Domagala. “There is now one united league that allows elite women hockey players to compete in, at the highest level in the world and play for the ultimate prize in women’s hockey – the Clarkson Cup.”

    “As Official Bank of the CWHL and presenting sponsor of the Clarkson Cup, we support the league’s decision to expand to Western Canada, where grassroots community hockey enrollment is at its peak, and interest and support for the game is at its strongest,” said Duncan Hannay, Scotiabank Senior Vice-President Canadian Marketing. “The popularity of women’s hockey continues to grow across the country, and the growth of the CWHL to include the WWHL helps encourage more young women athletes to participate in Canada’s favourite sport.”

    The CWHL’s expansion will now provide a unique opportunity for fans of all ages to enjoy hockey at an elite level across Alberta. This announcement follows a very successful Clarkson Cup tournament, presented by Scotiabank, won by Montreal.

    The CWHL exists to allow elite level players the opportunity to play after college and continue to work toward Olympic and national team goals. Though the leagues are considered professional, the players aren’t financially compensated, and many of them are continuing their education or working fulltime while playing a sport they love.

    For more information, please contact: Brenda Andress, Executive Director, CWHL: 647 278 6515

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
    So....Boston has BARELY survived its first year...and there are rumours it wont survive a second...and now this...the Calgary girls FLY five hours for each away game!! Other teams FLY five hours to play Calgary...and no one is being paid...my question is...WHO"S PAYING FOR THESE EXPENSES???

    These girls have full time jobs elsewhere...who's got time for all this travel...AND expense???

    C'mon!!!


    Canadian Elite Women’s Hockey Moves West with League’s Expansion to Alberta
    Tuesday April 19, 2011


    TORONTO, April 19, 2011 - The Canadian Women’s Hockey League (CWHL) today announced their expansion to Alberta, adding a new team to their roster of teams in Boston, Montreal, and Toronto Areas. The CWHL also announced that the team that will join the CWHL for the 2011 -2012 season will be made up of players from various teams in the former Western Women’s Hockey League.

    The expansion into Western Canada makes the CWHL North America’s largest professionally run elite women’s hockey league.

    “This is a momentous announcement for elite women’s hockey in Canada and across North America,” said Brenda Andress, Executive Director of the CWHL. “We are thrilled about the popularity of women’s hockey and are proud to add a new team to our roster, offering new opportunities for North American women to play hockey.”

    The new team will be housed in Calgary, Alberta, and will share their home games with fans across the province by playing in various arenas. Currently, the CWHL has teams in Boston, Brampton, Burlington, Montreal and Toronto.

    “There are so many talented women hockey players in Alberta,” said Arlan Maschmeyer, recently appointed team manager. “We believe we can put together a very competitive team for the League, one that will truly represent the skills of Western Canada’s elite athletes.” Mr. Maschmeyer has been the Operations Director of the Edmonton Chimos of the WWHL since 2009 and also coached the Chimos in the 2008/09 season.

    Also joining the CWHL is Samantha Holmes-Domagala, former member of the Canadian National Women’s Hockey Team program. Samantha will join the sponsorship division of the league working with Sami Jo Small, looking after the needs of the new western team. In 2006 Samantha formed her own team in Calgary, the Strathmore Rockies, after realizing the growth of elite women hockey players in Calgary without a team to play on.

    “The CWHL’s expansion to Western Canada is one of the most positive advances in women’s hockey since its debut as an Olympic sport in 1998,” said Ms. Holmes-Domagala. “There is now one united league that allows elite women hockey players to compete in, at the highest level in the world and play for the ultimate prize in women’s hockey – the Clarkson Cup.”

    “As Official Bank of the CWHL and presenting sponsor of the Clarkson Cup, we support the league’s decision to expand to Western Canada, where grassroots community hockey enrollment is at its peak, and interest and support for the game is at its strongest,” said Duncan Hannay, Scotiabank Senior Vice-President Canadian Marketing. “The popularity of women’s hockey continues to grow across the country, and the growth of the CWHL to include the WWHL helps encourage more young women athletes to participate in Canada’s favourite sport.”

    The CWHL’s expansion will now provide a unique opportunity for fans of all ages to enjoy hockey at an elite level across Alberta. This announcement follows a very successful Clarkson Cup tournament, presented by Scotiabank, won by Montreal.

    The CWHL exists to allow elite level players the opportunity to play after college and continue to work toward Olympic and national team goals. Though the leagues are considered professional, the players aren’t financially compensated, and many of them are continuing their education or working fulltime while playing a sport they love.

    For more information, please contact: Brenda Andress, Executive Director, CWHL: 647 278 6515


    Seymore I can't figure out if it won't survive or if it's just you ...that doesn't want it to survive.
    Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 04-21-2011 at 12:41 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,095

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    5-4...call Brenda, they're looking for a coach. Salary will be deferred to your local charity of choice.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by CanHockGuy View Post
    5-4...call Brenda, they're looking for a coach. Salary will be deferred to your local charity of choice.
    No... I'm good. Coached for years with no pay.

    This team will be a cross between the Chimo's and the Oval Extreme methinks and it will be a good one.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Airdrie, Alberta
    Posts
    1,178

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
    Seymore I can't figure out if it won't survive or if it's just you ...that doesn't want it to survive.
    Hey...if it survives GREAT! I have no problem with that. I'm just wondering about the expense of such a venture to each of the players. Boston had travel problems and barely survived one season with a travel schedule that's just a fraction of what the Alberta team will endure.

    The Alberta team will be on the road, in a plane for EVERY AWAY GAME..and they all have jobs to attend to as well. And th eother teams have to do the same for all away games against Alberta...So answer me this...how committed are the players to have to pony up for the flights, hotels, meals, etc on a regular basis...not to mention the time commitment???

    Now if there was a western division to the league...that would be one thing...but we all know what happened to the WWHL...so, now we're having these girls fly all over hells creation on their own dime...unless of course some wealthy law firm comes up with some gigantic sponsorship deal...So now, we're back to the time commitment...Their places of employment better be VERY understanding.

    I dunno!!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    80

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Maybe the League will take on a tournament format like the JWHL. With decent corporate sponsorship and planned tournaments for all teams, it could be possible for the players to juggle school, work & travel. There was talk about a team being formed in Winnipeg, but I haven't heard anything lately.....other than the big news, hopefully coming soon.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Additional info here: https://cwhl-insider.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,095

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    J...E...T..S...Jets, Jets, Jets, Jets. There a comin back.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by CanHockGuy View Post
    J...E...T..S...Jets, Jets, Jets, Jets. There a comin back.
    I'm still pithed those Desert Dawg fans stole the white out idea from the Winnipeg fans.

    How chessy is that?

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    234

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by Save the Jets View Post
    Maybe the League will take on a tournament format like the JWHL. With decent corporate sponsorship and planned tournaments for all teams, it could be possible for the players to juggle school, work & travel. There was talk about a team being formed in Winnipeg, but I haven't heard anything lately.....other than the big news, hopefully coming soon.
    The Winnipeg team that is considering entry is: https://manitobamapleleafs.com/

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    80

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
    I'm still pithed those Desert Dawg fans stole the white out idea from the Winnipeg fans.

    How chessy is that?
    We just loaned the idea to them; the whiteout will return to its rightful owners....The Manitoba Blizzard. But I really can't figure out what it all has do do with Spassky or Fischer.

  12. #12
    Alfond to Ridder & rinks in between Hux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Burlington, MA
    Posts
    11,316

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by Save the Jets View Post
    Maybe the League will take on a tournament format like the JWHL. With decent corporate sponsorship and planned tournaments for all teams, it could be possible for the players to juggle school, work & travel. There was talk about a team being formed in Winnipeg, but I haven't heard anything lately.....other than the big news, hopefully coming soon.
    This is the only way the league can really survive with this type of footprint. However, even following the JWHL model, you are looking at budgets in excess of $200K a year per team. Raising 1.5 million dollars may seem like a drop in the bucket, but when it comes to return on investment, there is really no incentive for corporations to pony up money for limited exposure.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    No incentive? Marketing 101...

    https://she-conomy.com/report/facts-on-women/

  14. #14
    Alfond to Ridder & rinks in between Hux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Burlington, MA
    Posts
    11,316

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
    No incentive? Marketing 101...

    https://she-conomy.com/report/facts-on-women/
    500 people in the stands on an intermittent basis is not incentive for most companies to put big money into sponsorship.

  15. #15
    Renegade Badger
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Etobicoke, ON & New York, NY
    Posts
    1,745

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    500 people in the stands on an intermittent basis is not incentive for most companies to put big money into sponsorship.
    500? The Boston-Montreal game I went just before Christmas had 25-30 tops! Heck the people working in the building were unaware of what league or who was on the teams playing....

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by WHKY blogger View Post
    500? The Boston-Montreal game I went just before Christmas had 25-30 tops! Heck the people working in the building were unaware of what league or who was on the teams playing....
    Was it in Boston or Montreal?

  17. #17
    Alfond to Ridder & rinks in between Hux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Burlington, MA
    Posts
    11,316

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    The game was in Salem, NH. The Boston games at UNH and Harvard drew less than 200...with minimal paid admissions at UNH. The Boston-Montreal games north of the border drew over 1000 I was told.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    63

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    That's because Paciorettyplayed inthat game

  19. #19
    Probably in a Rink Near You
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Centre of the hockey universe ;)
    Posts
    2,192

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    Quote Originally Posted by WHKY blogger View Post
    500? The Boston-Montreal game I went just before Christmas had 25-30 tops! Heck the people working in the building were unaware of what league or who was on the teams playing....
    The one game I went to, the game wasn't even listed on the Arena Board inside. The ice was listed for a boys game, and actually the game started late. I almost left.

    That's what you can expect to get with these bozos still in charge of marketing. I don't know why anyone would waste sponsorship dollars on that sort of operation. Minor hockey in Ontario is better run.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64

    Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

    It cost the X-Treme $300,000 to run every year (apparently) which is why they went under. So who's going to be paying for it? It's not like talent is a problem (who knows what national team players may again relocate to Calgary), Having to fly 20 or so people 5 hours across the continent every week is. Is WestJet or Air Canada going to sponsor this league and offer free flights? The thought is nice but the reality probably isn't there.

    But if it works out I'd expect to see a perennial Calgary-Montreal Clarkson Cup final.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •