Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merrimack Offseason: ya, so that was fun.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrimack Offseason: ya, so that was fun.........

.......and so it begins

as if Saturday's loss wasn't enough of a dagger through my heart

http://warriorrinkrat.com/2011/03/28...ign-this-week/

Re: Merrimack Offseason: ya, so that was fun.........

Originally posted by 'MackFan View Post
    .......and so it begins

You couldn't have not seen this coming, personally I'm psyched that such a hot prospect is going to be representing our alma mater. I hope he is paid handsomely and I'd buy a DaCosta shirt in a second.

I think there's a lot of cause for optimism going into next season, we may not get home ice again but I don't see any reason why the team won't be able to have a winning record:

-The Flannigan line is looking really sharp for next year
    -Goaltending will be a strength with a possible return by Joe, Marotta not showing any cause for concern and by all accounts the finnish recruit is legit.
    -No reason to think the administration would back down its support for Athletics.

Questions to ponder:
    -Will Myers live up to the hype and help offset the losses of SDC and Barton?
    -Are Maine and BU going to show their old Top 4 form?
    -Is Northeastern a major threat next year?
    -Any more rink improvements in the works?

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      You couldn't have not seen this coming, personally I'm psyched that such a hot prospect is going to be representing our alma mater. I hope he is paid handsomely and I'd buy a DaCosta shirt in a second.

I think there's a lot of cause for optimism going into next season, we may not get home ice again but I don't see any reason why the team won't be able to have a winning record:

-The Flannigan line is looking really sharp for next year
      -Goaltending will be a strength with a possible return by Joe, Marotta not showing any cause for concern and by all accounts the finnish recruit is legit.
      -No reason to think the administration would back down its support for Athletics.

Questions to ponder:
      -Will Myers live up to the hype and help offset the losses of SDC and Barton?
      -Are Maine and BU going to show their old Top 4 form?
      -Is Northeastern a major threat next year?
      -Any more rink improvements in the works?
      not that I didnt expect it I just hate to see him go

LOL

Comment

.......and so it begins

Congrats to MC on a great season. Losing Da Costa certainly isn't a good thing, but 'MackFan and Mack Fans should take heart that the program has continued increasing its success over the past few years and the program's competitiveness is not simple one player. MC should be again be competitive next season without Da Costa albiet maybe less so.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          Congrats to MC on a great season. Losing Da Costa certainly isn't a good thing, but 'MackFan and Mack Fans should take heart that the program has continued increasing its success over the past few years and the program's competitiveness is not simple one player. MC should be again be competitive next season without Da Costa albiet maybe less so.
          youre absolutely right. Now that its a few days later I can appreciate more how much this season meant. That salt in the wound Saturday loss still hurts and I agree taht we return enough to be very competitive next season as well.

and for DaCosta this is a great thing. NHL. Money isnt bad either!!!!!

Comment

not that I didnt expect it I just hate to see him go

LOL

I am an NU fan and I hate to see him go. Good for HE and college hockey to have the good players remain, also nice to see new schools do something. Sick of BU
            Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

Originally posted by steve66 View Post
              I am an NU fan and I hate to see him go. Good for HE and college hockey to have the good players remain, also nice to see new schools do something. Sick of BU
              Parity is a good thing for the league, especially around here. I'd love to see all 10 teams in regular contention, and it's great that MC and PC are making strides. There's plenty of room in the new england sports consciousness for HEA.

Comment

.......and so it begins

Ouch, one of those things everyone saw coming but it is still painful. As a UNH fan I'm a little sad to see him go, one of those guys you just enjoy seeing play, even if he is working against your team.

Comment

On a positive note, this is probably the latest that a "MC Offseason Thread" has ever been started.
                  Congrats to Stephane, that's terrific.
                  I was thinking that the thread title should reference "Rolling Stones or Vanilla Ice?" Is MC now a program built for long term competitiveness, or was this season a one-hit wonder? I think it is the former.
                  Dennehey has recruited very very well over the past couple years, seemingly both strong players but also quality individuals. IMO, Flanigan is the leader of this team next year. He raised his game to another level when it counted. I hope that line all stay.
                  Collins looks like a keeper. Velleca came on strong ( obviously, he "got it" at some time during the season and worked his way back into the line-up). Heywood and Ellis are a strong foundation on D, and MacCarthy should move up next season.
                  What happens if Joe C leaves? Well, look at UNH. DiGi was a bit of an unknown coming into the season, and look what he did, Who's to say that the same couldn't be the case for Marrotta?
                  With all of the departures/graduations across HE, I see no reason why they shouldn't still be in the mix for home ice (especially with how well they play at Lawler).
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Collins-Todd-Velleca
                    Sheen-Madsen-Flanigan
                    Bates-Bly-Jardine/Toomey
                    Myers-Gould-Heffernan/Singleton

Ellis-Stollery
                    Heywood-Burgland
                    McCarthy-Wills

Marotta-Tirronen

That's a quick glance at what I see the depth chart for next year, assuming Stollery and Todd return, which is a big IF.

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                      On a positive note, this is probably the latest that a "MC Offseason Thread" has ever been started.
                      This is the first time in years anyone has even bothered to start one.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                        Collins-Todd-Velleca
                        Sheen-Madsen-Flanigan
                        Bates-Bly-Jardine/Toomey

Ellis-Stollery
                        Heywood-Burgland
                        McCarthy-Wills

Marotta-Tirronen

That's a quick glance at what I see the depth chart for next year, assuming Stollery and Todd return, which is a big IF.
                        How come no Bigos??

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                          How come no Bigos??
                          I'm guessing he's gone. I'm thinking Cannata, Da Costa definitely gone. Bigos more than 50% gone. Todd, Stollery, Flanigan less than 50%, but are possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                            Collins-Todd-Velleca
                            Sheen-Madsen-Flanigan
                            Bates-Bly-Jardine/Toomey

Ellis-Stollery
                            Heywood-Burgland
                            McCarthy-Wills

Marotta-Tirronen

Eager to see what Toomey does. Watched him a lot growing up in Billerica. Was never on the same team as he was always 2 years behind me, but saw him play quite a bit. Fast and crafty are the two words that come to mind. Honestly never expected him to end up at a Hockey East school, but he's obviously worked hard and continued to improve enough to impress Dennehy.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                              Eager to see what Toomey does. Watched him a lot growing up in Billerica. Was never on the same team as he was always 2 years behind me, but saw him play quite a bit. Fast and crafty are the two words that come to mind. Honestly never expected him to end up at a Hockey East school, but he's obviously worked hard and continued to improve enough to impress Dennehy.
                              Fast and crafty, just like his dad Jim who was a terrific player at MC in the late '70's. He looks exactly like him!
                              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                              X