2011 Men's Division III Sixteen Team Tournament Field Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Men's Division III Sixteen Team Tournament Field Announced

“Well sometimes it’s the same time all over the world….and right now I think you know what time that is…”

A lull in the DIII action has finally freed up time for my annual 16 Team Division III Men’s NCAA Tournament…were one to occur, which it won’t anytime soon, but you know…we’ll pretend it was going to.

Not being the NCAA, and thus not hampered by such things as aimless bylaws, lack of logic or lawsuits of hostile and abusive nature, freedom abounds as to how to set this up.

Recall, as always, we have no concerns with travel as if we need a few bucks we’ll just quietly embezzle a few grand off the billions the NCAA received from CBS to televise the DI squeakball tournament. Or, if times are really tough, we’ll just use some of the $180k Auburn gave to Cam Newton’s dad. Either way, travel is not an issue here and will not hamper our quest for a fair national tournament.

As far as selection goes, as always we seek to mimic the Division I selection process, with two notable deviations:

1.We do not pre-select regional hosts, but rather the top four seeds will host regionals. We feel it is only fair to let the top four seeds host in reward of excellent seasons and also don’t see the point in hosting regionals in strange places like St. Louis.

2. Since there is no complete DIII Pairwise to use to select the top 16 teams, we begrudgingly use the overly circular KRACH instead.*

Doing so gives us our 16 team seeded field, which is as follows:

1. Oswego
    2. St. Norbert
    3. Adrian
    4. Elmira
    5. Plattsburgh
    6. Utica
    7. Norwich
    8. Castleton
    9. Hobart
    10. Manhattanville
    11. Neumann
    12. Geneseo
    13. MSOE
    14. Hamline
    15. UW-Eau Claire
    16. Bowdoin

And there we have it. Or wait, do we? Nope. Something still isn’t right as two automatic qualifiers, Curry of the ECACNE and Fitchburg State of the MASCAC, are not included. Wait, the MASCAC? Of course. No conference stays home here.

So, who gets bumped? Well, it can’t be Bowdoin or Hamline as both won their respective conference automatic qualifiers so say goodbye to MSOE and UW-Eau Claire, the two lowest seeded non-AQ winners.

A bit of proper seeding at the bottom and the 16 team field is set for good:

1. Oswego State
    2. St. Norbert
    3. Adrian
    4. Elmira
    5. Plattsburgh State
    6. Utica
    7. Norwich
    8. Castleton
    9. Hobart
    10. Manhattanville
    11. Neumann
    12. Geneseo
    13. Hamline
    14. Bowdoin
    15. Curry
    16. Fitchburg State

Which leads to our four regionals:

Oswego Regional (Campus Center; Oswego, N.Y.)
    #1 Oswego v. #16 Fitchburg State
    #8 Castleton v. #9 Hobart

St. Norbert Regional (Cornerstone Community Center; Ashwaubenon, Wis.)

#2 St. Norbert v. # 15 Curry
    #7 Norwich v. # 10 Manhattanville

Adrian Regional (Arrington Ice Arena; Adrian, Mich.)
    #3 Adrian v. #14 Bowdoin
    #6 Utica v. #11 Neumann

Elmira Regional (Murray Athletic Center; Pine Valley, N.Y)
    #4 Elmira v. #13 Hamline
    #5 Plattsburgh State v #12 Geneseo

And we’re all set. Almost.

One thing we do like to avoid is conference matchups in the opening rounds and we currently have two with Utica/Neumann and Plattsburgh/Geneseo. These can be fixed easily enough by simply swapping Geneseo and Neumann, which leaves us with:

Oswego Regional (Campus Center; Oswego, N.Y.)
    #1 Oswego v. #16 Fitchburg State
    #8 Castleton v. #9 Hobart

St. Norbert Regional (Cornerstone Community Center; Ashwaubenon, Wis.)

#2 St. Norbert v. # 15 Curry
    #7 Norwich v. # 10 Manhattanville

Adrian Regional (Arrington Ice Arena; Adrian, Mich.)
    #3 Adrian v. #14 Bowdoin
    #6 Utica v. #12 Geneseo

Elmira Regional (Murray Athletic Center; Pine Valley, N.Y)
    #4 Elmira v. #13 Hamline
    #5 Plattsburgh State v #11 Neumann

There, all set. Plus the East gets its much desired 13-3 split, and slips the entire ECACW into the field even though they will all probably all lose in the first round again.

Frozen Four (Dee Stadium; Houghton, Mich.)
    Oswego Regional v. Elmira Regional
    St. Norbert Regional v. Adrian Regional

Considering in past seasons people have thought this was a real bracket, we here at The People’s Committee will clarify: Is this tournament actually going to happen? Of course not, but it sure would be fun.

eom
    Last edited by XYZ; 03-14-2011, 10:58 PM.
    I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Re: 2011 Men's Division III Sixteen Team Tournament Field Announced

I am sure that the entire ECAC-W conference will rise up to meet or exceed your expectations.
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
      I am sure that the entire ECAC-W conference will rise up to meet or exceed your expectations.
      Well, we have to always throw a few barbs out to see if anyone gets hooked on them...

Comment

I think you need the NE-10.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If you are going to throw all NCAA rules and policies on tournament selection and tournament management out the window why not remove the prohibition on serving beer at tournament games and have one of the regional centers at the Utica Aud? Better yet, how about the finals at the Aud or even perhaps both regional games and the finals?
          Chuck Norris before Norris chucks you!©
          C.N. plays in Peoria.
          The AHL Peoria Rivermen are moving WHERE?

Comment

Originally posted by ironpuck View Post
            If you are going to throw all NCAA rules and policies on tournament selection and tournament management out the window why not remove the prohibition on serving beer at tournament games and have one of the regional centers at the Utica Aud? Better yet, how about the finals at the Aud or even perhaps both regional games and the finals?

Beer is served at all regionals. Both in the concession stands and the car trunks of anybody who feels like planning ahead for some pregame tailgating action.

As to Utica, The People's Committee would love to have a regional at the Aud, but we firmly believe the top four teams have earned the right to host.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
              As to Utica, The People's Committee would love to have a regional at the Aud, but we firmly believe the top four teams have earned the right to host.
              Probably all for the best anyway, since the Aud most likely has monster trucks scheduled for that weekend.
              2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
              2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
              2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
              2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
              2009 D-III TOP runner-up
              Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
              1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Beer is served at all regionals. Both in the concession stands and the car trunks of anybody who feels like planning ahead for some pregame tailgating action.

We could take it one step further and make beer mandatory. First 2 are included with General Admission ticket purchase.
                Adrian College Bulldogs!
                MCHA Champs & Harris Cup Champions: 2008, '09, '10, '11
                NCAA Tournament: 2010, '11

AC '09

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  I think you need the NE-10.
                  Might as well. Makes for another fanbase to be mad about getting bumped.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

2. Since there is no complete DIII Pairwise to use to select the top 16 teams, we begrudgingly use the overly circular KRACH instead.*

You could have used my last rankings that were published here. One of the reasons I set them up they way I do is to remove the iterations required by the logistic regression process - I'm hurt
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      You could have used my last rankings that were published here. One of the reasons I set them up they way I do is to remove the iterations required by the logistic regression process - I'm hurt
                      Notice the asterisk. It was carefully placed there for this very reason, which I can now identify:

*Prof's rankings are likely a better representation of reality than either KRACH or PWR.

See, that way the press doesn't get lost in the clutter of the original post...and everyone wins.

Comment

Considering in past seasons people have thought this was a real bracket, we here at The People’s Committee will clarify: Is this tournament actually going to happen? Of course not, but it sure would be fun.
                        Maybe.

Go read Tim Costello's column this week on USCHO. Apparently, there is a serious movement afoot in the NCAA to do just this -- a 16-team D3 tournament, four top seeds hosting regionals, semifinals at the two highest remaining seeds, championship game with the D1 Frozen Four just like lacrosse.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Notice the asterisk. It was carefully placed there for this very reason, which I can now identify:

*Prof's rankings are likely a better representation of reality than either KRACH or PWR.

See, that way the press doesn't get lost in the clutter of the original post...and everyone wins.
                          Oh me of little faith - let me apologize
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Maybe.

Go read Tim Costello's column this week on USCHO. Apparently, there is a serious movement afoot in the NCAA to do just this -- a 16-team D3 tournament, four top seeds hosting regionals, semifinals at the two highest remaining seeds, championship game with the D1 Frozen Four just like lacrosse.
                            But as Joecct brought up I believe.

Why would the NCAA make an exception to the 6.5 access ratio for just hockey?

Comment

Can we pay the players for that championship game? Next question. USD or Canadian?

Comment

Working...
                              X