Vermont : Let the offseason begin...2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont : Let the offseason begin...2011

I attended every home game, and watch many away games online, and yes the blocked shots were way down this year.
    Could be attributed to many things, but if the pucks are not reaching the net, they are not going in.
    I remember the days when Sneddon would really preach blocking shots. It became a badge of honor in the locker room.
    Rough year for the boyz, but you have to admire how they all handled themselves. They could have packed it in, and they did not. Really looking forward to next year!

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins, in their 19th season in the American Hockey League, today announced that they have signed forward Kyle MacKinnon and defenseman Kevan Miller to Amateur Tryout Agreements.

Miller, 23, also recently concluded his college career, finishing his senior season at the University of Vermont with one goal and three assists in 27 games. A Los Angeles, California, native, the blue-liner registered 30 points (5g, 25a) and 97 PIM in 144 outings for the Catamounts.

http://www.providencebruins.com/View/PressReleases/721
      Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
        Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins, in their 19th season in the American Hockey League, today announced that they have signed forward Kyle MacKinnon and defenseman Kevan Miller to Amateur Tryout Agreements.

Miller, 23, also recently concluded his college career, finishing his senior season at the University of Vermont with one goal and three assists in 27 games. A Los Angeles, California, native, the blue-liner registered 30 points (5g, 25a) and 97 PIM in 144 outings for the Catamounts.

http://www.providencebruins.com/View/PressReleases/721
        Good for Miller, I hope he is able to make the most of it. I wasn't particularly impressed with him this season but he has had solid seasons in the past. He did play better the last part of the season, so hopefully he can carry that into the ATO and get some attention.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Saw the article in the BFP today where Sneddon talked about the poor 2010/2011 season. They are still looking to recruit a D and an F for the incoming class. Pretty late to be doing that. Also mentioned chance that D. Mackenzie goes pro early. I doubt it but you never know. They need him next year. Also mentioned some of the recruits. Looking forward to a better year next year. Did not lose much offense for the first time in a few years, but not one returner had double digit goals. Two years ago Irwin and Stalberg lead the returning players with 10 each as sophomores I believe. this year sophmores Stalberg and McCarhty led with 9 and 8, so not that far off, but pretty pathetic offensive showing.

Comment

Josh Burrows to Bakerfield of the ECHL. Looks like as a Defenseman.

OTHER TRANSACTIONS:

Bakersfield:
            Add Josh Burrows, D signed contract

http://www.echl.com/echl-transactions-march-21-p170185
            Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

The link to Ted Ryan's interview with Sneddon....http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...|text|Sports|p

Interesting notes : Leonard WILL be back for a 5th year. That is good as he really provides a spark and leadership for that 4th line. I have to imagine he will be wearing.

Also sounds like the plan is still for Girgenson to be here in the fall which will provide some definite offensive skill to the team.

It would be tough to see Mackenzie leave. I think next years team really needs him on the blue line IMO he was far and away the best defensmen last year and also has good offensive skills from the blue line... something UVM has never really had. With Bruneteau, Mackenzie adds that. I don't know, he had a great year, but I don't think the Sabres will benefit from bringing him in early. Who knows though.

Surprised at Sneddon's statement looking in to bringing in another F and D. I can't imagine there is scholarship money available at this point... wonder if this is due to losing players to departure/injury. The Cats were hit hard this year, having to resort to sending Burrows back to D, although that was actually probably the best thing.

Either way, UVM should be strong in net, solid on D if Mackenzie sticks around, and I think the offense will be there. I see a solid 1st,2nd,4th line and an excellent freshman 3rd line that could be very good.

Comment

BUMP

And, accolades for Sifers. http://www.examiner.com/chicago-wolv...ward-to-sifers

In my opinion, team leadership was lacking this past season greatly. Captains a la Sifers and Strong were glaringly absent this past season. Who among next seasons team should garner letters?

Here's my prediciton :

Mackenzie "C"
                Leonard "A"
                McCarthy "A" ??

Also possibly Brickley? It would be nice to see a younger player step up as a team leader and provide a few years of consistency like Sifers was able to. Anyone else have thoughts or is everyone busy filling potholes?

Comment

I really don't know what to think but I am optimistic that they will be better next year than they were this year. the D was a disappointment both of the last two years. I think I just had too much expectation from them coming off the frozen four appearance. I now think that the batch of forwards we had back then were just excellent and made the D look good.

I believe the incoming D are expected to be an upgrade. Paolotti (something like that) is particularly highly thought of.

I doubt MacKenzie will leave early, if he does that would be a significant blow though as I agree that he is pretty solid and contributes offensively

No idea on captains, I don't think you can tell from the stands, but I agree that leadership seems to have been lacking, but I also heard Sneddon say that Millar was a good captain so hard to reconcile my perception of lacking leadership with that

without a lot of blue chip talent depth and effort need to carry the day for UVM and they lost depth with early departures (Pacan being the most crushing IMHO) and effort was seemingly sporadic (or maybe it was execution that was sporadic)

What makes anyone think that McCarthy might be captain and not Stalberg or Marshall or Roos? Not returning any double digit goal scorers is scary from an offensive perspective, but I do expect more out of Brickley next year

Girgensons will be young if he arrives as hoped - but that will give us one more year of him than we would otherwise have most likely. Brickley is also young, as was Pacan when he arrived

They will be ranked low in the media and coaches poll so they can be the underdogs and play with a chip on the shoulder next season, that is always a good place to come from

not time to go watch the tournament, not sure who to root for, I guess for BC to repeat or Mack, it's nice to keep the NC in hockey east. UNH looks awful right now, as usual come tournament time

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                    What makes anyone think that McCarthy might be captain and not Stalberg or Marshall or Roos? Not returning any double digit goal scorers is scary from an offensive perspective, but I do expect more out of Brickley next year
                    I put McCarthy over Stalberg because IMO the ole "lead by example' just isn't working and I see Stalberg as a quieter more go out and do your job type player, where as I get the feeling McCarthy is a bit more of the in your face and vocal. That maybe entirely unaccurate but that is my sense of the two, you just don't see much emotion out of Stalberg, the opposite can be said for McCarthy.

I never considered Roos or Marshall. I don't think Roos is a captain, but there maybe some merit to Marshall.

Comment

I saw the negative comments on the Freep site about coaching. I don't buy it. Sneddon elevated the program to the level where our expectations went way up. This year would have been typical under the prior regime, not an aberration that generates negativity. If we were in the ECAC we would have had a mid pack finish this season with this team. I think our recruiting took a hit when Willie left but it will recover. We should start to see the benefit of the tourney appearances show up on campus this fall and next and that should help

I do think Sneddon has a very high standard and that is why Milo was tossed and Stacey quit. Pacan was an off ice issue that the coaching could not control (people make their own behavior decisions and exercise their own judgement and you can't always identify the borderline cases in recruiting - it's like hiring people to work for you - kind of a crapshoot to some degree)

I'm not sure about Atkinson but I am guessing that he was disappointed with his PT but he did not earn more than he got IMHO

Stalberg left because he went to the NHL, that is a GOOD thing in the long run for the program

Time to move on from the departures and focus on getting a new arena, that is the missing peice to a nationally competitive team on a consistent basis

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                        focus on getting a new arena, that is the missing peice to a nationally competitive team on a consistent basis
                        I wonder how this will play out with Fogel leaving. He clearly has been a driver and huge supporter of athletics. I'm hoping that out of the proposals they received there is a legitimate proposal that can be put in place in the next 15 months before Fogel leaves. A new president that is a bit more athletic unfriendly and a new athletic complex could become a pipe dream.

On another note, saw on the schedules thread that LSSU will be a part of the holiday tourney. Hopefully there is a competitive OOC schedule next year with a cupcake or two at the beginning to generate a little bit of confidence...

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                          I wonder how this will play out with Fogel leaving. He clearly has been a driver and huge supporter of athletics. I'm hoping that out of the proposals they received there is a legitimate proposal that can be put in place in the next 15 months before Fogel leaves. A new president that is a bit more athletic unfriendly and a new athletic complex could become a pipe dream.

On another note, saw on the schedules thread that LSSU will be a part of the holiday tourney. Hopefully there is a competitive OOC schedule next year with a cupcake or two at the beginning to generate a little bit of confidence...
                          Playing Minnesota at Mariucci in a two game set, plus the usual ECAC games, as usual, good tough schedule. Don't think that is a cupcake opener. I like playing a nasty schedule and at least you can see where you stand. Guys need to respond, they did against Denver two years ago and lead to a solid season. Adding Zegmus and other forwards and another year of off season development for Stalberg, McCarthy, Roos and the freshman should be a great foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                            Since the plan, as I understand it, is it's going to be privately funded, it shouldn't have much effect at all. Who's going to balk at an athletic facility that's not costing the school or taking money away from so-called "more important things" like academics?

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                              Since the plan, as I understand it, is it's going to be privately funded, it shouldn't have much effect at all. Who's going to balk at an athletic facility that's not costing the school or taking money away from so-called "more important things" like academics?
                              Is there actually a realistic chance of getting a new facility anytime soon or was this all blatant sarcasm

Comment

Couple of future recruits?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...t%3Ashr%3Amain

Comment

Working...
                                X