• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine Off Season 2011

Does it start tonight?

Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by BobF View Post
    Does it start tonight?
    You would think Maine will come out tonight with a win or season over mentality but you never know with this team. Could be 5-0 ME or 7-1 MC. This is when a vocal captain would be nice. Timmy obviously isn't the vocal type to light a fire.
    Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by bobf View Post
      does it start tonight?
      nope

Comment

From the previous thread...

I respect the folks who are able to keep their heads up. I really do.

But, honestly, when I read Runsub5's comments about why college hockey is exciting, my first thought was that college hockey has become about as hopeful and exciting as watching a loved one suffer from terminal illness.

Obviously, that's an extreme analogy, but it's not completely wrong.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post

But, honestly, when I read Runsub5's comments about why college hockey is exciting, my first thought was that college hockey has become about as hopeful and exciting as watching a loved one suffer from terminal illness.

keep your head up for one more
          Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Too bad our "mental midget" couldn't do like the UML midget and leave-resign......I would be glad for the off season to start if we knew the clueless idiots who run the University would do that after tonight!! This team is so jekyl-hyde and inept, that I don't even care anymore, if it comes down to another round of golf/sun vs Maine hockey the golf wins everytime now. That is what timmay has done...taken the life out of not only the team but the fans. Get rid of this clown now and you might be able to save the program, 3 more years and you might as well just resign to being a D3 program, that shows what commitment/leadership the AD/university has had.....FORE!!! At least its 76 and sunny and the greens are rolling true....

Comment

Originally posted by MEFANinLA View Post
              Too bad our "mental midget" couldn't do like the UML midget and leave-resign......I would be glad for the off season to start if we knew the clueless idiots who run the University would do that after tonight!! This team is so jekyl-hyde and inept, that I don't even care anymore, if it comes down to another round of golf/sun vs Maine hockey the golf wins everytime now. That is what timmay has done...taken the life out of not only the team but the fans. Get rid of this clown now and you might be able to save the program, 3 more years and you might as well just resign to being a D3 program, that shows what commitment/leadership the AD/university has had.....FORE!!! At least its 76 and sunny and the greens are rolling true....
              We're all getting older, losing interest, moving on.........IF the program ever turns it around (ain't happening under TIMMAY!) then many of us will return to the bandwagon. But for now, the magic of Maine Hockey is LONG gone......and there is very little reason to invest money, time or effort on this program.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post

I have been to a few Frozen Fours, but I have friends (Maine fans,) who go to every Frozen Four whether Maine is there or not, because they enjoy college hockey and the the associated atmosphere. I suspect there are a few on the Maine threads who may attend each year as well. Whatever happened to just 'rooting" for your team and not tearing it down? it's sort of like seeing your youngster play t-ball and having a national audience ridicule the kid for not performing up to expectations. That's sort of like what it is on this forum. Every fan wants their favorite team to be in the playoffs and be #1, I am no exception. In reallity, it's not going to happen. It's fine to have an opinion and express it, but the incessant badgering and denigration of the coaching staff is not what college sports should be about, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                  I have been to a few Frozen Fours, but I have friends (Maine fans,) who go to every Frozen Four whether Maine is there or not, because they enjoy college hockey and the the associated atmosphere. I suspect there are a few on the Maine threads who may attend each year as well. Whatever happened to just 'rooting" for your team and not tearing it down? it's sort of like seeing your youngster play t-ball and having a national audience ridicule the kid for not performing up to expectations. That's sort of like what it is on this forum. Every fan wants their favorite team to be in the playoffs and be #1, I am no exception. In reallity, it's not going to happen. It's fine to have an opinion and express it, but the incessant badgering and denigration of the coaching staff is not what college sports should be about, in my opinion.
                  Well Runsub5 thanks for trying to bring some civility to this post. I got so frustrated I quit for a while. Priceless it appears has done the same. I am one of the many Maine fans that typically attends every Frozen Four. What I got a kick out of was back when Tim was getting teams to the FF the same people were on him to be fired then. Like many Maine fans I am disappointed in the results this year and expected more. I also know that next year will be a challenge. But I have mellowed with age. This year we had a team that lost a number of games they should have won, turnovers and soft goals have cost us at least 4 wins, and blowing leads late has been a problem. As we need to learn to win again.

There have been good things this year too! And while I know we will struggle to score I do think our D will be better next year.

I continue to believe that we will once again be back in the future, but I also have enjoyed the ride, knowing there would be ups and downs at every step. Can anyone remember 1994 and how we dealt with all the NCAA forfeits? How about Shawn's suspension? And even Shawn had some bad down years. The game and recruiting have changed sooo much and we lost 2 to 3 years of recruiting between Grant's last 2 years, which were not good, and Guy's one which was mediocre.

Who knows what the future holds, but I'll be there, as I will be in North Andover tonight!

Now if we could get some goaltending.........

Comment

What good is this forum if all you are going to is sing Kumbaya? The coach is a paid professional, if he can't take some heat from fans, hit the freakin' road.

Edit: You guys that want div 3 athletics should follow another team like Bowdoin, in case you hadn't noticed Maine hockey used to be big time D1 athletics, winning matters, see NCCA investigation back in the 90s. If you want it go back to D3, wait and it might
                    Last edited by walrus; 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      I'm one of those people, too. I'll be at St. Paul.

But that's one weekend a year. I could completely ignore college hockey for 50-51 weeks, then go online, check out the field, and enjoy the frozen four every bit as much as I would if I had spent the winter watching Maine. The two things have nothing to do with each other. The FF is just a chance to catch up with family, see someplace new (or for the 3rd time), and watch good hockey in a (usually) great atmosphere.
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Well, cannot say that this has not been another disappointing season. I will be rooting on the Bears tonight to push this series to a third game, we have seen it so many times, just keep winning and you never know! This team is good enough to make the Frozen Four most nights, and then their young goal tenders show that they are not there yet! We'll see.......

Comment

F U timmay. Be a man and resign. We don't want you anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                            keep your head up for one more
                            Wake me up when the team makes the NCAAs or there's a coaching shakeup, whichever comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              F U timmay. Be a man and resign. We don't want you anymore.

He enjoys destroying the program too much.
                              When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X