Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
    If she had the kid prior to turning 20, she's probably got issues of the deal-breaking variety.
    met a chick in boston who for all practical purposes seemed okay. Not bad looking, cool whatever. she tracked me down on facebook and it came to my attention she has a kid.

as arnold would say , "Game....ovah!"
    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

I dated a single mom recently, I didn't think it was so bad. She was kind of odd though, because she would have me meet at her dad's house...while she dropped her kid off...so I could see the kid...the kid would see me...it was weird.

I understand not having me meet the kid earlier, but maybe she should have blindfolded the kid (or me)...the kid wasn't stupid.
      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
        I dated a single mom recently, I didn't think it was so bad. She was kind of odd though, because she would have me meet at her dad's house...while she dropped her kid off...so I could see the kid...the kid would see me...it was weird.

I understand not having me meet the kid earlier, but maybe she should have blindfolded the kid (or me)...the kid wasn't stupid.
        Dating single moms isn't a big deal anymore, at least in my opinion. Just know that if you are looking for a long-term relationship, you know what you're getting into, basically becoming that kid's dad. If that doesn't bother you, then why not? Single moms have issues just like any other woman on the planet.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Dating single moms isn't a big deal anymore, at least in my opinion. Just know that if you are looking for a long-term relationship, you know what you're getting into, basically becoming that kid's dad. If that doesn't bother you, then why not? Single moms have issues just like any other woman on the planet.
          She was a nutjob, I don't eat meat...when she found out how I had become vegetarian she kept trying all these power plays to get me to eat meat...with NO subtlety at all. So aggravating. Currently seeing a nice girl who doesn't try to make me eat meat, has a job, and three awesome dogs. Will keep you posted.

Comment

She was a nutjob, I don't eat meat...when she found out how I had become vegetarian she kept trying all these power plays to get me to eat meat...with NO subtlety at all. So aggravating. Currently seeing a nice girl who doesn't try to make me eat meat, has a job, and three awesome dogs. Will keep you posted.
            Did she come on to you wearing a bacon bra???
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              Did she come on to you wearing a bacon bra???
              That would have been funny. No, she kept putting meat on my plate. Or just put the gravy/sauce on my plate..."just try this" or the worst, put escargot in my mouth. YECH.

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                met a chick in boston who for all practical purposes seemed okay. Not bad looking, cool whatever. she tracked me down on facebook and it came to my attention she has a kid.

as arnold would say , "Game....ovah!"
                At least you know she puts out ...
                "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

That would have been funny. No, she kept putting meat on my plate. Or just put the gravy/sauce on my plate..."just try this" or the worst, put escargot in my mouth. YECH.
                  She wasn't that bright if she tried to bring you back to meat with escargot. Bacon is the meat to use.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                    At least you know she puts out ...
                    true, but the idea of hitting it with a kid in the other room just doesn't Jive.

Ended up trying ( and failing) on getting two girls phone numbers who I was 'talking' too. Me and my friend set out with the idea of getting 12 numbers apiece, but that didn't happen.
                    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

As one of the few willful single people, the burden to bump this thread is mine to bear.

Not that updates matter here, but so far we are into may and the quality is of question lately. As I mentioned earlier , a lot of ‘less than favorable’ types play too hard to get. This has not changed. My female friend who has admittedly less going for her than I fares much better with the opposite gender than I do. No disrespect to her , but I think the market for men/ women is fairly skewed now and it favors women - at least where I am from.

Summer is coming up and it’s a good time to be single. As always, it seems the better looking ones come out to play. Heres hoping for beach days in a week or so!

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                        As one of the few willful single people...
                        Are you baking banana bread?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Are you baking banana bread?
                          Ha ha no. good memory though.

My situation is different. Lets put it this way. I was with 3 different women in a 4 week span. I actually hold back a lot too. I’d rather go play hockey than go on a date.

edit: women is a better pronoun. One was 21 though!

-Herodotus

Comment

Here's a pretty random question for the peanut gallery. I've gone out with this one woman ("M") three times over the past ~three weeks, and we have another date scheduled for tomorrow night. It's going really well (well enough that even I can tell it's going really well, and I'm pretty bad at picking up on signals), and I think it could turn into something long-term, though it's not there yet.

M has been working as a contractor/temp employee in her professional field, but is looking for something full-time; her field is the same one that my sister ("L") works in. L's company is hiring and she would get a referral bonus if she submitted a resume for a candidate who got hired (and got one in the past when she referred one of my college friends), and I'm sure M would appreciate the leg up on the competition she would presumably get over other candidates if her resume were submitted by L (who's been with her company for six years now) rather than just submitted through their recruiting website with a bunch of others.

Though I'm optimistic about the way things are going with M, we're obviously not yet at the "let's meet each other's families" stage of things. Does that change if I'd like to put L and M in contact in a professional capacity? (If it's a relevant detail, from what I've observed about M, I have no reservations about recommending her, though obviously I know her socially and not professionally and so that view is based on her general intelligence and personality rather than actual familiarity with her work product.)
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                              Though I'm optimistic about the way things are going with M, we're obviously not yet at the "let's meet each other's families" stage of things. Does that change if I'd like to put L and M in contact in a professional capacity? (If it's a relevant detail, from what I've observed about M, I have no reservations about recommending her, though obviously I know her socially and not professionally and so that view is based on her general intelligence and personality rather than actual familiarity with her work product.)
                              Would you do the same thing for a guy you've golfed with (played hockey with, gone to mets games with, whatever) 3-4 times? If the answer is yes, then don't worry about it. It's not like you're not getting her an interview with your company.

The only other consideration is if she'd be working closely with your sister rather than just getting the step-in-the-door from her.

Comment

From a professional standpoint, you are helping someone out who needs a job and your family. It’s a win/win. It’s a rough economy out there, and as someone who took some time finding a job, you are doing a good thing helping someone land something permanent.

That said, don’t expect her to like you any more than she does. Favors have that weird effect on some people, and can be detrimental. At a certain age, we all have great pride and would like to think we can ‘do it on our own’, so help can hurt that notion. It’s the same rationale of loaning a friend money only to find them and you in dire straits thereafter. I only throw on this disclaimer because some people might believe that favors warrant favorable attraction from women - it doesn’t work that way. I am not implying you are this kind of person.

Best of luck on your dates, and props to you for helping someone land something.

-Herodotus

Comment

Working...
                                X