Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    You calling us internet nutcases 'hawkey gods'?
    Absolutely. We're the only ones on this board with the knowledge to be Hawkey Gods.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Acs, i'm glad you'd take diamond...with him in the penalty box all game long, fine by me!

Also, umile doesn't come close to parker when it comes to being a tyrant

Comment

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=551428

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Acs, i'm glad you'd take diamond...with him in the penalty box all game long, fine by me!

Also, umile doesn't come close to parker when it comes to being a tyrant
          Tell ya what, I'll take Diamond and Prestin, you can have Dickie. Deal ? I'll throw in Parker pher nothing.

Comment

Being a UNH fan for 40 years, I will confess that we were goddam lucky to take 4 points this weekend. After watching Saturday night's game in person (and not quite believing what I saw at the end), I watched the DVR'd version all the way through once, and the last 1:30 countless times to make sure I got it right. Maine was the better team last night, no doubt. But in my mind, last night's game was payback for so many games (not the '99 final) where we deserved to win, and didn't. Sure, Nyquist should have scored at the end but, you know what, Thompson should have scored in the first minute on his breakaway (he hit the post too). Maine out faced-off us big time, they probably had more Grade A chances as well but, bottom line, UNH found a way to win. I will say though, the last two goals were based more on pathetic goaltending than anything else (although Dimmen was out to lunch on the last one).

Acs, you got it all wrong on Umile. Believe me.
            Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 02-06-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Being a UNH fan for 40 years, I will confess that we were goddam lucky to take 4 points this weekend. After watching Saturday night's game in person (and not quite believing what I saw at the end), I watched the DVR'd version all the way through once, and the last 1:30 countless times to make sure I got it right. Maine was the better team last night, no doubt. But in my mind, last night's game was payback for so many games (not the '99 final) where we deserved to win, and didn't. Sure, Nyquist should have scored at the end but, you know what, Thompson should have scored in the first minute on his breakaway (he hit the post too). Maine out faced-off us big time, they probably had more Grade A chances as well but, bottom line, UNH found a way to win. I will say though, the last two goals were based more on pathetic goaltending than anything else (although Dimmen was out to lunch on the last one).

It looks line you will be a road team in the playoffs so, how do you guys think you'll do at Merrimack?
              Dam good, but I'm guessing we get to return to Doorham for a rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                Dam good, but I'm guessing we get to return to Doorham for a rematch.
                Shades of '98? I doubt if you will fall that far. Now Merrimack, that would be special.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  Shades of '98? I doubt if you will fall that far. Now Merrimack, that would be special.
                  So why would that be special Gregg?

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post

And if Nyquist, Flynn or O'Neill leave, it is going to be back to the bottom 1/2 of the league, which is unacceptable!!! So if we miss the tournament this year, and Tim stays, and we fall below .500 next year it's time for a change!
                    I think people have been saying this the past couple of years. Then he was given an extension.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                      . They'll have their years, but their days as a powerhouse are likely over for good in my humble opinion.
                      Except for the lack of a decent goalie, and granted that's a major obstacle to overcome, when do you think we'll EVER have as much talent on the ice all at once as we do right now? And even with all our talent at every other position but in goal, they're STILL not having one of "their years" so I don't know what makes you think it'll happen sometime in the future. I'd really like to be able to be more optimistic, but I just can't see a Whitehead team making a decent run in the NCAA's. This isn't just based on this year or last year, but over the last several years they always seem to underachieve. I don't know just how big a role Grant played before he left, but they were already headed downhill at that time and seem to have accelerated in that direction since. It's too late to bring him back but clearly there needs to be a change of some sort at the top. Whitehead just hasn't got it or maybe he once had it and has lost the fire that makes a top coach in any sport successful. By fire, I'm not saying he has to stand on the dasher and scream at the refs like Walsh did, but by now he should have his own effective style of being able to motivate and get the very best out of his players, and occasionally change the whole flow of the game, but who out there (besides Priceless) wants to argue that he's at that level or ever will be?

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
                        I think people have been saying this the past couple of years. Then he was given an extension.
                        Exactly. "Just one more year"........"next year is our year".......blah blah blah. Thousands of Red Sox fans said the same thing for DECADES......many were born and many died before they ever won anything again.
                        Last edited by sandiegoblkbr; 02-06-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

If only we could catch a break or a "bounce" or stop running into "hot goalies" or not have our "travel plans changed" when going to road games or if we could just get a new HEAD COACH.........
                          Maine Hockey

Shawn and Grant Built it

Tim Whitehead Ruined it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Chris Imes was heads and tails better than anyone on this team and he had enough heart and will to lead a team to the promised land. Not sure who on this team you'd compare him too. That team had good goaltending also
                            Good point. There are no comparsions to the 95 NCAA team. That team was a classic example of a good team being builit from the GOAL out. Start with Allison, add Imes, Tory, MacIsaac, Rodrigues, and White on D and spalsh in some gritty, hard nosed forwards like Shermerhorn, Wansborough, Cardinal, Lovell, Conlan, Purdie, etc. and you had good team. NO comparison to this team. On most nights, this year's Maine team look like they are skating five forwards.

Comment

I look back at Maine's run in the early/mid 90's and, to me anyways, a lot of their success was due to the fact that top recruits had really two choices if they wanted to play in the east: Maine and BU. With BC's rise and UNH's consistency, it gives kids more options and Maine doesn't appeal to most as it used to. I look at a guy like Cal Ingraham, for example, and think with his size, speed, etc, he would have been coveted by Jerry York if he were at BC back then. I just think other programs have caught up and passed them by and don't see what Maine can do to grab it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                                I look back at Maine's run in the early/mid 90's and, to me anyways, a lot of their success was due to the fact that top recruits had really two choices if they wanted to play in the east: Maine and BU. With BC's rise and UNH's consistency, it gives kids more options and Maine doesn't appeal to most as it used to. I look at a guy like Cal Ingraham, for example, and think with his size, speed, etc, he would have been coveted by Jerry York if he were at BC back then. I just think other programs have caught up and passed them by and don't see what Maine can do to grab it back.
                                That might become a problem for UMaine, but I really don't think it's a very big part of what is wrong right now. We do have a goalie problem, but other than that our team has plenty of talent to play with any other team in the country. I know that BC probably wasn't at their best at the Alfond, but the Maine players absolutely dominated them all throughout the game. Clearly, our guys can play, but playing effectively as a team is another issue entirely and has more to do with the game plan and coaching than with the talent level. We've got the talent in Orono right now, but they just don't make a team committment to defense first and focus on that all game long, and our coach seems powerless to direct them for long in a direction that will keep them winning.

Comment

Working...
                                X