Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

I'm not trying to get into anything and don't yell at me but the brooms were uncalled for, I have been to many hockey series where a team sweeps and nothing is done but a sweep salute. Other than some minor mishaps my trip to Omaha was great and everybody was very friendly.
    WISCONSIN BADGERS
    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
      I'm not trying to get into anything and don't yell at me but the brooms were uncalled for, I have been to many hockey series where a team sweeps and nothing is done but a sweep salute. Other than some minor mishaps my trip to Omaha was great and everybody was very friendly.
      I'm really interested in why you feel that way. It's certainly not the first time it's ever happened here by a long shot, nor, I would suspect, the last (I hope).

It's always been my thought that that this is as traditional as hats on the ice after hat tricks. Is there etiquette here I am not aware of and, indeed, have never heard of? It's not like it's the first time its ever happened in hockey, for crying out loud.

If I need enlightening, please do so. No offense taken from your offense.

Glad you had a good time. So did we (smirk, giggle, wink).

Comment

Coach Blais strikes me not at all as a guy that is in it for the money. He reminds me of a hockey playing, swearing version of Tom Osborne in a lot of ways.

I think he is a VERY smart guy and saw UNO for what it is, a sleeping giant. The only real issue he has here is lack of an every day suitable practice facility and that is an issue with a big light at the end of tunnel.

He just turned 60 years old. I just don't see him wanting to start over again at this age, COMPLETELY from scratch. He is reasonably close to "home", and, in a conference he is thoroughly familiar with. He took over a team with a very high profile A.D. that had some talent, that plays in the 2nd largest arena in all of college hockey and one of the newest. Further, that team is located in the 3rd largest major metropolitan area to have college hockey after Minneapolis and Boston. Finally, the Blue Line Club is the largest fan club in all of college hockey.

I know Penn State is a big school with a lot of cash but I also don't think that Dean Blais is a mercenary, either. My gut feel is this is the last stop on the train for him. What can Penn State give him, besides what he already has, besides money?

By the way, I've seen conjecture about Coach Blais in several college hockey blogs recently regarding other schools, most of it sheer conjecture, and the same arguments I made here apply to anybody else that thinks his school, or, their school is gonna take a run at him. I'd be surprised if he went anywhere else and I'd really be surprised if it was for money.
        Last edited by Red Cows; 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
          What was uncalled for was your players throwing a hissy fit and throwing the brooms down their tunnel because they were mad about losing. UNO has been throwing brooms on the ice after a home sweep for years - you aren't special. If you don't like it, then don't get swept on the road.

Between your fans *****ing about the cowbells and you crying about brooms being thrown on the ice, I'm quite impressed with the home ice advantage that UNO created this weekend. It obviously managed to get under your skin and that's exactly what a home crowd should be doing. I'm sure your players aren't as easily rattled and offended as you are.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they'd get him but it wouldn't surprise me if they try. And yes the brooms are a normal thing after a sweep.
            UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by bighuskermav View Post
              What was uncalled for was your players throwing a hissy fit and throwing the brooms down their tunnel because they were mad about losing. UNO has been throwing brooms on the ice after a home sweep for years - you aren't special. If you don't like it, then don't get swept on the road.

Between your fans *****ing about the cowbells and you crying about brooms being thrown on the ice, I'm quite impressed with the home ice advantage that UNO created this weekend. It obviously managed to get under your skin and that's exactly what a home crowd should be doing. I'm sure your players aren't as easily rattled and offended as you are.
              Keep it up and you'll be as red as I am. LOL reps for the post
              UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                Keep it up and you'll be as red as I am. LOL reps for the post
                Red; it's the Maverick version of Green.

Comment

Still feeling the buzz from the sweep last weekend. On to Alaska!

Comment

Hey let them have the brooms it was the first time they had been swept in 18 series! At least they didn't touch our fish!
                    Unleash the fury!

Comment

Do Sconni fans always whine this much? I see nothing wrong with playing videos that poke fun at the opponent. I get kind of tired of this idea that we have to be nice. We can be nice but can also needle the opposition. I refuse to look ahead to the bloodbath in 2 weeks so its about Anchorage this week.

Comment

Originally posted by bighuskermav View Post
                        What was uncalled for was your players throwing a hissy fit and throwing the brooms down their tunnel because they were mad about losing.
                        meh - anything that gets thrown on the ice is fair game for anyone on the ice to do with as they please. But then I'm also of the viewpoint the only thing that should ever get thrown onto the ice are hats for a hat trick.

Comment

Originally posted by LincolnMav View Post
                          Do Sconni fans always whine this much?
                          Yes they do but no one will whine more than tGoofer fans, you can actually see the tears and fist pounding in Happy's posts.
                          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

FYI Mav fans. I bought tickets today to UNO's season ending series with Minnesota-Duluth at Amsoil Arena in Duluth. This will be our first roadie. Get this, at the wife's insistence. She's off that week!

You have to buy them from Ticketmaster. I did call their ticket office directly today, mid-day, to see what availability might be. The nice lady I spoke to said that they had about 600 tickets remaining for Friday night and about 800 for Saturday night. If you want to go, you need to buy them NOW. Amsoil seats 6,600 for hockey.

IF the Mavs win a WCHA conference championship their first year out of the box, it is unequivocally gonna happen that weekend and we want to be there if it does. Hope we run into to some like-minded folks. I have less than 135 bucks invested in reasonably decent seats for both nights. We've wanted to attend an away series, hopefully in Minnesota as I have family there, and now would be the THE time. If the series ends up "meaningless" (a subjective phrase), at least we'll have fun. Hope other Mav fans are making the trip.

Comment

I see our season thread is much like our history in college hockey: short! I'm not sure why brooms would be an insult. I guess we're new to hockey, but I was always under the assumption it was commonplace. Apparently not. I thought the Badger video was great Friday night. I actually had a bit of a problem with it being shown Saturday after the sweep. Kind of an old-school person and thought that bordered the line of classy/classlessness.

Can't believe we are in the hunt for the Cup in our first WCHA year! Celebrated Blais' 300th win at the radio show tonight...a split at Alaska would be nice - a sweep highly unexpected. Go Mavs!
                              If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                                I can't believe they played the "We don't need no stinking Badgers" video (which is above, in this thread) during the game, on the scoreboard.

My apologies to Badger fan about that. These was a lot of "Yeah, they need to play that tonight" talk on Mavpuck about it and I discounted it because I thought they wouldn't consider any such a thing. I hate the opposition as much as anybody else, but, I thought it was in very poor taste and pretty disrespectful if you ask me.

I was further horrified as I thought it might incite Wisconsin to knuckle down and play better. Nothing like giving your opponent bulletin board material during the game.

Oddly, it seemed to have completely the opposite effect, though. Still thought it was bush. I think it's O.K. here, you just don't diss your opponent to their face in that manner. Particularly when there is no comparison whatsoever between the history of their program and ours. It'll be quite a long time before they stop farting in our general direction in that regard.
                                Without qualification, this is the dumbest post I have ever seen a UNO fan make. I am surprised it is in standard English.

Comment

Working...
                                X