Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Watching the press conference online, it's apparent to me that Hollis is forcing this retirement. So, we can rule out Walt Kyle and Dave Shyiak.

This is all on Hollis now. Though I've questioned Hollis' commitment toward hockey in the past, it took major cojones on Hollis' part to actually pull the trigger. Now I can only pray Hollis makes the right decision for this program.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
      Hollis wouldn't pay Gwoz half of what he's getting at DU. Not happening.
      DU can pay their hockey coach for than MSU? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

Jackson's still really bitter about not getting the MSU job back when Mason retired.

If given the option, I'm sure Jackson would opt to blow up Munn, set fire to the rubble, and put out the glowing embers and ashes with his own urine.
      Jeez, does he talk about it constantly?

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
      Will MSU even be willing to shell out top dollar to a coach? I mean Hockey is not one of the big non football sport at MSU as it can be argued it is at Minnesota, Michigan, and maybe Wisconsin, and probably will be at Penn State since their bball program is so horrendous. It does not make as much money as Bball so why do people think they will make a crazy offer that a non B10 but big hockey supporting school can't match easily?
      Hockey isn't a big non-football sport at MSU?

Also, if Comley has anything to do with this hire, either NMU's Walt Kyle or UAA's Dave Shyiak will be the next MSU head coach.
      Ha, can't imagine either of those would be well received by the MSU faithful.

Comment

Watching the press conference online, it's apparent to me that Hollis is forcing this retirement.
        That was my take when I heard the news. I've been thinking it a strong likelihood for the past couple months, although I wasn't sure it would happen just because I'm totally unfamiliar with the MSU athletic dept. and AD....and I am a bit surprised to see it come out this early.

Comment

Scott Sandelin(or is he waiting for Lucia to leave), Danton Cole, Nate Leaman, Seth Appert, Mark Dennehy?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Ha, can't imagine either of those would be well received by the MSU faithful.
            I actually hold Shyiak in very high esteem as a coach. I'm pretty curious about what he could do at more of a "power" program.

Comment

Attendance has been in a very steep decline since 2006. Average attendance actually dropped the year after MSU won the national championship.

The read I get from Hollis that, I think, he doesn't view hockey with any sort of premium. Football is firing on all cylinders and is generating great revenue. Basketball is also firing on all cylinders and is generating good revenue. With those two sports doing so well, why bother with hockey?

Now, I don't agree with that logic - I think it'd obviously be more advantageous to have three revenue sports doing well rather than two - but football and basketball drive the national perception of the athletic department. Hockey at one point did, but now doesn't.
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Serratore is a pipe-dream. He would be a great coach at MSU, but he has a great situation where he is.

OK, let's think about what's left for the season: Give Renfrew (Associate Head Coach, right?) the reigns and do a, sort of, tryout himself. Maybe see if he and Newton are ready? I really don't think that is as far-fetched as you might assume. Otherwise, I'm guessing Cole is one of the top condenders. OH!!! How about Mike Guentzel, current assistant at Omaha? He was a long time assistant at MN, then had an issue with Hill and left for Colorado College, did a year in Des Moines of the USHL and now with Blais at Omaha. He would be a great candidate as I would imagine that Hastings is next in line at UNO. OR bring Hastings in.. I get excited at the options.
                "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

I haven't seen or heard the press conference, but after some offline feedback and from reading his somewhat defiant statements, I agree with aallen. A likely scenario is Comley had a talk with higher ups and was given a little "nudge".

I believe despite Hollis' relative silence on the subject of MSU hockey in his tenure that he does value the importance of successful hockey here.
                  Last edited by owslachief; 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Also, if Comley has anything to do with this hire, either NMU's Walt Kyle or UAA's Dave Shyiak will be the next MSU head coach.
                    Do you actually think, if Comley is being forced out, that he would have anything to do with who his successor would be? Use your head, boy ...
                    "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                    - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                      Scott Sandelin(or is he waiting for Lucia to leave), Danton Cole, Nate Leaman, Seth Appert, Mark Dennehy?
                      While I don't know Sandelin and his motivations, I doubt he would want to leave UMD.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
                        Do you actually think, if Comley is being forced out, that he would have anything to do with who his successor would be? Use your head, boy ...
                        It should be noted that I made that post before I watched Comley's presser. I've had a very busy day.
                        66 - 86 - 07

Comment

DU can pay their hockey coach for than MSU? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...
                          Hockey is the flagship, revenue sport at Denver that makes $2-3 million a year for the University. There is no football team, and Gwoz was in the top 5 national coaches' salaries at his last contract in 2005. Denver is a private school that raised $75 million for an arena 10 years ago, and if they want Gwoz to stay, they'll find the money to keep him here. Denver has invested a lot to make that program a national contender, and given the geographic setting, the relative lack of media pressure, and the lack of a big time football program hogging resources, it's a great place to live and coach. Big 10 programs have resources, but are constrained by the mammoth ahletic beasts that must be fed. Hockey can get lost in that shuffle.

Comment

It is not as big as bball at MSU. For Mich, Minn, Penn St when they add it, and maybe even Wisc you can say hockey is as big if not bigger to the students and alumni than bball.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                              It is not as big as bball at MSU. For Mich, Minn, Penn St when they add it, and maybe even Wisc you can say hockey is as big if not bigger to the students and alumni than bball.
                              Case in point, there's an old saying around here: "Izzo is king."

East Lansing is a basketball haven, and hoops is the well-established "primary" sport.

Football's been coming back. Whereas basketball would have been the number one sport and football number two five years ago, it's more of a one and one-A relationship now. Hockey, in the meantime, has been getting pushed further and further out of the MSU fan consciousness since the mid-2000s.
                              66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Kyle wouldn't leave NMU for MSU.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X