Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Rinks in college hockey

Originally posted by Blackheart View Post
    Oh, I thought we were talking college rinks?
    We are. And I just stated that the new Ralph is really trying to be the X, and fails.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      We are. And I just stated that the new Ralph is really trying to be the X, and fails.
      His assertion that new maroosh is just ralph east is a play on marriucci west from years ago. No dominance like that in the current era.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree. Love the X but don't really compare the 2...
        License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

You're joking right?

Although I suppose because REA falls far short.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            His assertion that new maroosh is just ralph east is a play on marriucci west from years ago. No dominance like that in the current era.
            I know that much, hence my avoidance of reference to his third entry.

First (and only) time I have been (and ever will be) at the new Ralph was last year. I expected a really nice arena (which I got). Didn't expect the obvious attempt at re-creating the X. They really want you to feel that you are at a pro arena. Sorry, that's not college hockey. I like my one-tier, high rising seats, hostile atmosphere. Well, okay, you got one out of the three.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

You're joking right?

Although I suppose because REA falls far short.
              Apparently there are fools, damn fools, and UND fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Not really.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                  Yes you are. In Hockey East, I think the middle of the pack would be Conte, Mullins and Whittemore. They're not on the level of Agganis, Matthews, Alfond and Tsongas, but they're definitely ahead of Schneider, Lawler and Gutterson. Between Conte, Mullins and Whittemore, I'd say the Whitt is the best and Mullins is the worst, so I guess I'd say Conte is the most average rink in HE.
                  Hockey East has some pretty nice arenas if Conte Forum is in the middle of the pack...........which i don't disagree with . i have not been to Alfond, so i'll reserve judgement until i have.......

Comment

The question with this practically yearly thread is: what do you want, luxury, or loud?

For luxury, I don't see anybody better than BU's fancy Agganis Arena. It's the newest in Hockey East by quite a bit. But is that what college hockey is all about?* But I don't find it feels like a college hockey game there, too often; it feels like you're in a professional setting. I like freezing my a** off, having opposing fans yell at me, and having the band play as loud as they can regardless of tuning.

For atmosphere, student involvement, and fans proximity to the ice (which is what epitomizes college hockey for me) the best arenas are Lynah, Matthews, and the Alfond. I've always enjoyed Lawler Rink (Merrimack) because it's so small -- and now, their fans are really into the games, too (they boast something like 70% of their student body attends . . .) The Alfond, structurally, is a dump. They'll sell you a ticket for $25 but you won't be able to see 1/3 of the ice, or the scoreboard, etc etc . . . but go up there for a game when UNH is in town, and it's still one of the best places to see a game.

This thread needs another mention of just how great Matthews Arena is. Kudos to whoever designed the renevations - they kept the old-time barn feeling, with the balconies hanging over the ice, while giving it a major upgrade, comfort wise. I haven't been to Conte Forum in a while, but always thought the sightlines left something to be desired. I don't like the gap between the front row and the glass - I like to be right up on the action.

*I've never been to the REA, or any arena out that way, so I really can't comment.
                    Last edited by unhpuckfan2001; 01-11-2011, 05:58 AM.
                    I haven't been on here in a year...
                    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                      The question with this practically yearly thread is: what do you want, luxury, or loud?

For luxury, I don't see anybody better than BU's fancy Agganis Arena. It's the newest in Hockey East by quite a bit. But is that what college hockey is all about?* But I don't find it feels like a college hockey game there, too often; it feels like you're in a professional setting. I like freezing my a** off, having opposing fans yell at me, and having the band play as loud as they can regardless of tuning.

For atmosphere, student involvement, and fans proximity to the ice (which is what epitomizes college hockey for me) the best arenas are Lynah, Matthews, and the Alfond. I've always enjoyed Lawler Rink (Merrimack) because it's so small -- and now, their fans are really into the games, too (they boast something like 70% of their student body attends . . .) The Alfond, structurally, is a dump. They'll sell you a ticket for $25 but you won't be able to see 1/3 of the ice, or the scoreboard, etc etc . . . but go up there for a game when UNH is in town, and it's still one of the best places to see a game.

This thread needs another mention of just how great Matthews Arena is. Kudos to whoever designed the renevations - they kept the old-time barn feeling, with the balconies hanging over the ice, while giving it a major upgrade, comfort wise. I haven't been to Conte Forum in a while, but always thought the sightlines left something to be desired. I don't like the gap between the front row and the glass - I like to be right up on the action.

*I've never been to the REA, or any arena out that way, so I really can't comment.
                      I'm not necesarily looking for luxury but I agree Agannis is nice. Parking can be a problem. Conte has great scoreboards and is good as long as you're in the red seats. The bench seats suck. As for the first row being away from the ice, agreed but who wants to be in the first row anyway. Matthews is by far the best for sight lines and old time feel. Not a bad seat in the house. Concessions could use an upgrade though. I'm not sure why people have a problem with Mullins. Very comfortable seats and good sight lines. Also, I always get lots of laughs while I'm threre. It really is so entertaining listening to the most ignorant fans in hockey. Wow, are they dumb! Lawler is gross! Many local high schools play in better facilities. Concessions, rest rooms, seating, not enough of any. Put the scoreboard back out on the little league field. Whatever they spend on upgrades is wasted. A new building is badly needed at Merrimack.
                      Last edited by jdevoejr; 01-11-2011, 07:15 AM.
                      sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Parking is going to be a problem for a lot of rinks unless you arrive early. I don't know if you can necessarily factor that in unless there's a location that does an exceptional job with not only parking, but traffic control.

Personally, I like the barns over the bowl arenas. No offense to the upgraded WCHA facilities, but seeing as how college hockey is so niche, I would much rather an old-style barn with modern upgrades that keep up with the times.

Comment

I was expecting a nice arena when I went to Marriucci. Instead all I got was a gigantic cereal bowl but the Count Chocula was nowhere to be found. To say I was disappointed would be a massive understatement.
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I've never seen so many ways to spell "Ralph Engelstad Arena"!
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The hell is that? **** looks Cardassian.
                              Ingalls rink home of the Yale bulldogs. The amazing thing is that the rink was built in 1969. I have been in alot of northeast rinks and have not found a better one to watch a game. Being a student of building construction due to my job (Fire Chief/Marshal) I still am not sure how they poured the large concrete arch which holds the whole thing up. the roof is actually rests upon one inch cables which strtch from the arch to the ground. Saarinen also designed the famous Arch in St. Louis.
                              The sightlines are unmatched, photos of the redeication last March.*****http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-hockey/2009-10/photos/0010/index#******
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Which are you?
                                License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

Working...
                                X