Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarkson & St. Lawrence @ RPI & Union (1/7, 1/8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clarkson & St. Lawrence @ RPI & Union (1/7, 1/8)

Gee, I must be all mixed up, I thought this was a hockey thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      Considering how far off-topic some threads on USCHO wander, this one is still quite good.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by number 16 View Post
        Tim - would love to hitch a ride to RPI. Give you a call tonight if your number is in the book. Thanks
        I'm in the VTEL book, but not Fairpoint's. I sent you a message and an e-mail with my number.

Edit: The VTEL listing has the wrong number. Let me know if you don't get the USCHO message or e-mail.
        Last edited by TimU; 01-06-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
          Well, you certainly are all mixed up. This is a college hockey thread, and not that you yokels from Schenectady would have the capacity to comprehend it, but bands are a pretty solid and proud tradition in real college hockey.

If you don't like it, go watch the CHL. Most of your alums are playing there anyway.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            These are not children. They are adults who are able to make their own decisions, and those decisions can be criticized.

If you have no loyalty whatsoever to the band's mission, then what are you even doing in the band? To welch out like this is to tell the fans, to tell the team, that you don't really care, and you're only going to show up when it's convenient to show up. Failing to show up when the opposition is bringing a band is to put an emphasis on not caring.
            I agree whole-heartedly. I come from the school of "If you do something, do it right and do it well". Pep bands are a cog in the collegiate athletics experience...something I've touted more than a handful of times while bringing friends to the field house to experience their first RPI hockey game. When I've done so, and the band is absent, it's almost embarrassing.

Now, in my earlier post, I didn't mean to compare RPI to Big East athletics, because the differences in scope are vast. However, that doesn't, or shouldn't, give campus athletic supporting bases a free pass to show up when convenient. These people are adults and should feel responsible for their status of "cog" at RPI hockey games.

Comment

These are not children. They are adults who are able to make their own decisions, and those decisions can be criticized.

If you have no loyalty whatsoever to the band's mission, then what are you even doing in the band? To welch out like this is to tell the fans, to tell the team, that you don't really care, and you're only going to show up when it's convenient to show up. Failing to show up when the opposition is bringing a band is to put an emphasis on not caring.
              Very well stated-the entire experience of an RPI home game is different when the support is not there-and this very much includes the band. If you are a loyal RPI fan then you certainly want to see that home ice advantage (which we certainly seem to have had so far this year) and that include loud cheering fans and the band.
              Last edited by DrDemento; 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I beg to differ, they certainly are children. The older I get the more I can see how young 20 years old is.
                I do believe that they can make their own decisions, and they should be able to do that without us trying to impose our wishes on them.
                I don't know what the draw backs are in getting back to campus for a weekend, so I won't try to decide for the indivduals who for whatever reason cannot get back.
                You were in the band, did you come back for the games that were played when the school was on break? And if you did, how far did you have to travel to get there?
                I know that you are a loyal passionate Engineer fan who would travel far for the opportunity to see and support the team, but you can't expect everyone to follow your path.
                I do think that if a group of students and alumni are able, they should find a way to get a band into the field house. Especially, knowing that the Clarkson band will be there.
                I was at West Point a few years ago when we had our band in the stands and the cadets went scrambling all over the place to get a band on their side of the arena.
                I was in the same section as the RPI band and was able to hear some of the conversation between the two band leaders and it was obvious that Army would never allow an opponents band in their building without a response.
                We should respond, but I would not put that on the entire band during school breaks.
                This happens every year, we play games during the break and no one has brought this up in the past.
                Is it just because we are playing well this year? Or because Clarkson is bringing a band?
                Since it happens every year, maybe preparations should be made at the beginning of the school year to find out who can be there and have a roster of band members/allumni who would be available.
                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  I beg to differ, they certainly are children. The older I get the more I can see how young 20 years old is.
                  So let's just keep moving back the benchmark for when childhood ends, just to make ourselves feel better about our advancing age. That's amazing.

College students are adults. Deal with your mortality on your own time. Don't deprive them of their responsibility as adults.

I do believe that they can make their own decisions, and they should be able to do that without us trying to impose our wishes on them.
                  Not what you just said.

I don't know what the draw backs are in getting back to campus for a weekend, so I won't try to decide for the indivduals who for whatever reason cannot get back.
                  You were in the band, did you come back for the games that were played when the school was on break? And if you did, how far did you have to travel to get there?
                  You're god**** right I was back for games during break. I drove through a ****ing snowstorm to get back to play during the holidays. I was not the only one, and I knew it was expected of me.

I know that you are a loyal passionate Engineer fan who would travel far for the opportunity to see and support the team, but you can't expect everyone to follow your path.
                  Even if they're in the BAND? SERIOUSLY?

We should respond, but I would not put that on the entire band during school breaks.
                  So, we should respond, but if it's hard, just shrug your shoulders.

This happens every year, we play games during the break and no one has brought this up in the past.
                  False.

Since it happens every year, maybe preparations should be made at the beginning of the school year to find out who can be there and have a roster of band members/allumni who would be available.
                  Gee, what a concept. That's exactly what the band used to do. It was SOOOOOOO HARD.

Comment

So let's just keep moving back the benchmark for when childhood ends, just to make ourselves feel better about our advancing age. That's amazing.

College students are adults. Deal with your mortality on your own time. Don't deprive them of their responsibility as adults.

Not what you just said.

You're god**** right I was back for games during break. I drove through a ****ing snowstorm to get back to play during the holidays. I was not the only one, and I knew it was expected of me.

Even if they're in the BAND? SERIOUSLY?

So, we should respond, but if it's hard, just shrug your shoulders.

False.

Gee, what a concept. That's exactly what the band used to do. It was SOOOOOOO HARD.
                    If 18 years old makes you an adult, I guess you are correct. When you get to be sixty or over and look back at 18 years old, You can tell me if that is an adult. And don't preach to me about adulthood, When I was 19, I was on my way to Viet Nam. I was not an adult, even though back then, I thought I was.
                    If plans were made at the beginning of the school year when you were in the band, maybe you should address your concern to the bands leadership. I have no problem with that.
                    As I was taught, prior planing prevents p--s poor performance.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

There will be a band this weekend. It will be a mix of a few current students and some local (and not-so-local) alumni. I don't like that it took involvement from alumni just to get the ball rolling on it. There was no discussion over the email list of "who would be available to play" or "who would be willing to come back", just an assumption of "it's break so we won't be there". That's not the approach that was always taken, ESPECIALLY when you're dealing with Clarkson, who brings their band every year without fail.
                      APBWiki

Comment

This. If you're in the band, you've made a commitment to support the team whenever possible. If your kid wants to come back to RPI early to see a hockey game, he should do exactly that. Multiple times I've gone to Clarkson games over break, driving over 200 miles to do so in snowstorms. It was worth it every time. Particularly over spring break in 2007, in that ridiculous blizzard for the ECACs

Oh, by the way, Clarkson's band was at the UMD games Monday and Tuesday. Classes started today. I'm glad to see RPI got something together, it wouldn't be right to not at least have SOMETHING there when a rival is in town.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          If 18 years old makes you an adult, I guess you are correct. When you get to be sixty or over and look back at 18 years old, You can tell me if that is an adult. And don't preach to me about adulthood, When I was 19, I was on my way to Viet Nam. I was not an adult, even though back then, I thought I was.
                          So you were immature for your age. Oh well. Maybe you were still a child at 19, but there was a 19-year-old (and an 18-year-old) that I trusted with my life in Iraq. I would never disrespect them by calling them children.

By the way, if I ever get to be sixty or over, please come suffocate me.

If plans were made at the beginning of the school year when you were in the band, maybe you should address your concern to the bands leadership. I have no problem with that.
                          As I was taught, prior planing prevents p--s poor performance.
                          But instead, you've done nothing but make excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuftMMcu View Post
                            Oh, by the way, Clarkson's band was at the UMD games Monday and Tuesday. Classes started today.
                            I've done (and will continue to do) my share of trash talking when it comes to the Clarkson band, but this is worthy of a tip of the cap. That's exactly what a band's supposed to do.

Comment

By the way, if I ever get to be sixty or over, please come suffocate me.
                              I can truly understand that statement-Jenny and I are both over 60-but mentally and physically we still act like immature 19 year olds at times. We swore a long time ago we would never act old and we meant it.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                                There will be a band this weekend. It will be a mix of a few current students and some local (and not-so-local) alumni. I don't like that it took involvement from alumni just to get the ball rolling on it. There was no discussion over the email list of "who would be available to play" or "who would be willing to come back", just an assumption of "it's break so we won't be there". That's not the approach that was always taken, ESPECIALLY when you're dealing with Clarkson, who brings their band every year without fail.
                                This is good news indeed. Thank you for your initiative, GRussinko.

Comment

Working...
                                X