Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football IV: The Hand over Fist Cash Grab Time, or Bowl Season for short.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Football IV: The Hand over Fist Cash Grab Time, or Bowl Season for short.

If you're naming trophies after coaches, how do Bo and Woody get passed over? They defined the conference for a decade while Paterno's....old, with two titles in 15 years, I think?

Edit: Oh, they get the coach of the year trophy.

I dunno. Some of this just seems like something you do when you're a kid and making up awards and thinking "who's the best defensive player I know."

"Ooh, the Lawrence Taylor award!"
    Last edited by bronconick; 12-13-2010, 11:54 AM.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Re: College Football IV: The Hand over Fist Cash Grab Time, or Bowl Season for short.

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
      The Hayes Division would have some punch to it.
      Well done! And yet, good 'ol Charlie Baumann claims he never felt a thing.

From Buckeye Madness, by Joe Menzer. See Chapter 8, The Punch Line, especially pages 150-152.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        If you're naming trophies after coaches, how do Bo and Woody get passed over? They defined the conference for a decade while Paterno's....old, with two titles in 15 years, I think?
        Bo and Woody have the Hayes-Schembeclhler Coach of the Year Award. EVERY trophy has two names, at least of the six they revealed. There is still 12 more they said were going to be online, but aren't posted yet.

I don't think they went for the hidden 2. Looks like they went for the G to be a 0. There's an alternate logo that I didn't post because it was massive, but it looks like this:
        B1G
        (with the G a little more rounded)
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Honestly, I like the new trophy names.
          Ugh. I was going to go down the whole list to nitpick, but it is just stupid that they need to name each trophy after 2 people. If they are going to name it after 2 people, though, why not name it after the 2 best in that category? The offensive player of the year named for...Otto Graham and Eddie George?? The punter of the year named for Dike Eddleman and Brandon Fields, and no mention of either Iowa's Reggie Roby or Wisconsin's Pat O'Dea, the 2 greatest college punters of all time?

These names are poorly researched, completely unmarketable and unnecessarily named after 2 people. Two of them, the Kwalick-Clark trophy (best Tight End) and the Remington-Pace trophy (best Offensive Lineman) are named after players who never played a single Big Ten game!
          Last edited by Alton; 12-13-2010, 11:58 AM.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

I guess I didn't get that far down the list. I was more impressed with the ones near the top. Nagurski-Someotherguy, Dungy-Someotherguy, Hayes-Schemechler, Stagg-Paterno. Those I like, but I completely agree, they went overboard with the two names. They really should have just picked one name for each. Unfortunately, we all need to feel included
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
              These names are poorly researched, completely unmarketable and unnecessarily named after 2 people. Two of them, the Kwalick-Clark trophy (best Tight End) and the Remington-Pace trophy (best Offensive Lineman) are named after players who never played a single Big Ten game!
              Really? That can't be right...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Alton
                Dave Rimington played for Nebraska from 1979 to 1982; Ted Kwalick played for Penn State from 1966 to 1968. Neither played in the Big Ten.
                At least they are from schools that are in the big ten now. That must have been their thinking (as little as it was).
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Really? That can't be right...
                  One name on each is from either a Nebraska player (Rimington) or Penn State before they were Big 10 (Kwalick). I can see the problem here. But at the the same time they are trying to embrace and recognize the history of each team in the new league, even if they have little or no history in the Big 10 itself, which really isnt a bad thing.

Comment

Wow...that is friggin outstanding! Why should Nebraska have any name on any Trophy they are joining this year?

Ya know I hate the Big Ten anyways...but this is whole thing is downright stupid. Have the Divisions be East and West, (or Lakes and Plains if you prefer) have either Bo or Woody be the Championship Trophy and the other be Coach of the Year. The rest of the awards name after 1 person that exemplifies the award. How friggin hard is that?
                    Last edited by Handyman; 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: College Football IV: The Hand over Fist Cash Grab Time, or Bowl Season for short.

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                      One name on each is from either a Nebraska player (Rimington) or Penn State before they were Big 10 (Kwalick). I can see the problem here. But at the the same time they are trying to embrace and recognize the history of each team in the new league, even if they have little or no history in the Big 10 itself, which really isnt a bad thing.
                      Yes it is...it is stupid as hell. If they didnt play in the Big Ten then no Big Ten award should be named after them. What happens in a few years if someone else joins does their school get to put a random player on an award too?

Hey I got an idea, lets add Tom Osbourne to the COTY Award...I mean it makes about as much sense.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: College Football IV: The Hand over Fist Cash Grab Time, or Bowl Season for short.

I actually like the name of the Championship trophy. Has a nice ring to it.

Logo is terrible, I had thought the rumor was they were just going to modify the existing one to include a 12 instead of the 11 hidden in there now.

Division names are also terrible, but they didn't have a ton to work with here. I was never a fan of naming the divisions after Hayes/Schembechler or whatever the suggestion was.

I can certainly get behind the idea of the Dayne-Ameche trophy though!

Of all the logos, this one is "least bad" in my opinion.
                        *****http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/big10/graphics/auto/b10-date.jpg******
                        Last edited by WeWantMore; 12-13-2010, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Yes it is...it is stupid as hell. If they didnt play in the Big Ten then no Big Ten award should be named after them. What happens in a few years if someone else joins does their school get to put a random player on an award too?

Hey I got an idea, lets add Tom Osbourne to the COTY Award...I mean it makes about as much sense.
                          If there were a player deserving...maybe. But if they go adding more teams lets be honest...it really wont be the Big 10 anymore.

I've got my opinion. You have yours. So be it.

Comment

I thought the LeBron James - Kobe Bryant Academic Award was kinda pushing it.

Comment

How can you be deserving of being the namesake of a Big Ten Award if you didn't play in the Big Ten? That is the whole point. I understand the idea of wanting to honor all the institutions but come on. I mean at least Paterno coached in the Big Ten, I can ignore that one...but no Nebraska player should be on any Big Ten Award, they have yet to play a conference standing game yet. Wait ten years and if in that time they have some player that is just dominant and worthy of an award name then give it to them.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

From the Freep.

Championship Game Trophies

Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy: Amos Alonzo Stagg, Chicago, and
                                Joe Paterno, Penn State

Grange-Griffin Championship Game MVP: Harold Edward (Red) Grange, Illinois,
                                and Archie Griffin, Ohio State

Postgraduate Awards

Ford-Kinnick Leadership Award: Gerald R. Ford, Michigan, and
                                Nile Kinnick, Iowa

Dungy-Thompson Humanitarian Award: Tony Dungy, Minnesota, and
                                Anthony Thompson, Indiana

Annual Awards/Trophies

Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year: Otto Graham, Northwestern, and
                                Eddie George, Ohio State

Nagurski-Woodson Defensive Player of the Year: Bronislau (Bronko) Nagurski, Minnesota, and Charles Woodson, Michigan

Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year: Wayne Woodrow (Woody) Hayes, Ohio State, and Glenn Edward (Bo) Schembechler, Michigan

Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year: Darrell Thompson, Minnesota, and
                                Antwaan Randle El, Indiana

Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year: Dave Rimington, Nebraska, and
                                Orlando Pace, Ohio State

Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year: Charles Aaron (Bubba) Smith, Michigan State, and Courtney Brown, Penn State

Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year: Bob Griese, Purdue, and Drew Brees, Purdue

Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year: Alan Ameche, Wisconsin, and
                                Ron Dayne, Wisconsin

Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year: Jack Tatum, Ohio State, and
                                Rod Woodson, Purdue

Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the Year: Dick Butkus, Illinois, and
                                Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year: Pat Richter, Wisconsin, and
                                Desmond Howard, Michigan

Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year: Ted Kwalick, Penn State, and
                                Dallas Clark, Iowa

Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year: Jim Bakken, Wisconsin, and
                                Morten Andersen, Michigan State

Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year: Thomas Dwight (Dike) Eddleman, Illinois, and
                                Brandon Fields, Michigan State
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X