Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football IV: The Hand over Fist Cash Grab Time, or Bowl Season for short.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Football IV: The Hand over Fist Cash Grab Time, or Bowl Season for short.

What does the NCAA care though? They lose nothing in all of this. Are people protesting and not watching or attending games? The NCAA only needs to pretend to care because the fans sure dont. No one holds the NCAAs feet to the fire, because nobody cares. That is why a player selling his jersey to an agent is suspended, but a player whose father asked for over a hundred grand from a school (and admitted it) is eligible to play for the National Title.

The only reason the NCAA will act on the Cam Newton case after the fact is that everyone knows the truth and the story will not go away. They will be forced to put the hammer of god down to pretend to show they care and still turn a blind eye to everything else that is going on. Now maybe Auburn will do what SMU did and start turning in other SEC programs for their violations which could cause a huge domino effect, but I doubt it. (unless the impossible happens and the SEC boots Auburn) Auburn will fall on the sword and the NCAA will get their big bust and next year no one will care.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Re: College Football IV: The Hand over Fist Cash Grab Time, or Bowl Season for short.

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      I did - it was a very interesting show.

You do have to bet that they will never impose the "Death penalty" again. That pretty much killed SMU for a couple decades. Yet, it also seems obvious that teams are still cheating just as often as they were back then. We have the Cam Newton issues, the Reggie Bush issues, and problems at other universities over the years.
      The SEC schools never stopped cheating. That's just the culture in that region -- it's pervasive in everything.

The difference is the NCAA used to be dragged by their heels into investigating seriously because a large number of factory schools objected to the cheaters. Now the fix is in, the winning schools in the BCS conferences all cheat and assume their brethren cheat, and since the NCAA is only the voice of the big money producers they not only have no incentive to punish, they have an overt bias to look the other way or even assist in covering up, as appears to be happening here. When there is a punishment of Auburn, it won't be SMU but USC -- costly, but recoverable, and not ruining anybody else's scam. At worst they'll strip them of their title, but the decision makers don't care about titles, they care about dollars. A scandal now and then might even goose ratings.

Perhaps the 60 or so honest FBS teams could take a stand, but they have no leverage, since college football is owned and operated by television and all TV cares about is the money (and thus the cheaters), and anyway what does, say, Vandy stand to gain compared to what they would lose?
      Last edited by Kepler; 12-12-2010, 12:25 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Al Golden, Head Coach at Temple, expected to accept offer to coach at U of Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          Al Golden, Head Coach at Temple, expected to accept offer to coach at U of Miami.
          There's a downgrade in coaching.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            There's a downgrade in coaching.
            Huh? Golden is a very promising young coach. He resurrected Temple (Temple!) from the scrap heap and turned them into a respectable team. The same Temple that went 19-71 between '98 and '05 and was expelled from the Big East.
            "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

To be fair, he resurrected them partially by removing Big East teams, Miami, etc from the schedule, and replacing them with MAC schools. Probably no better than a 5-6 win team this year in the worst BCS conference I've ever seen. Given the options available to Miami, he's still probably the best they could do. They're in deep crap recruiting wise this year, as I read that they have 4 commitments at the moment.

Malzahn's jumping to Vanderbilt. Oddsmakers on how badly Auburn will find themselves getting hammered by the NCAA adjust accordingly.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I like Al Golden, that is a smart hire by Miami.

Malzahn leaving Auburn pretty much backs everything up that we believe. Auburn is going to fry. Hell the federal investigations going on are going to kill them with or without the Cam Newton BS.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

While I'm sure the Newton thing played a part, the cool $3 million a year that Vandy's offering probably helped.

Edit: On Golden, just saw a Pat Forde tweet saying he never beat a MAC team with a winning record.
                  Last edited by WeWantMore; 12-12-2010, 08:48 PM.

Comment

That is a lot of money...
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Where the hell is Vandy getting that kind of cash?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        That is a lot of money...
                        yeah, but it only pays for half the team
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          To be fair, he resurrected them partially by removing Big East teams, Miami, etc from the schedule, and replacing them with MAC schools. Probably no better than a 5-6 win team this year in the worst BCS conference I've ever seen. Given the options available to Miami, he's still probably the best they could do. They're in deep crap recruiting wise this year, as I read that they have 4 commitments at the moment.

Malzahn's jumping to Vanderbilt. Oddsmakers on how badly Auburn will find themselves getting hammered by the NCAA adjust accordingly.
                          I'm not sure you're attributing that correctly. Golden didn't downgrade the schedule - Temple got kicked out of the Big East at the end of the 2004 season and played '05 and '06 as an independent. Golden didn't come on board until the '06 season.

I don't think that's on Golden, the school didn't really have a choice. Only a few schools can hack it as an independent.
                          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            yeah, but it only pays for half the team
                            Well that should get them the services of a Heisman candidate...just find some backup QB at an SEC school and get it going!
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                              I'm not sure you're attributing that correctly. Golden didn't downgrade the schedule - Temple got kicked out of the Big East at the end of the 2004 season and played '05 and '06 as an independent. Golden didn't come on board until the '06 season.

I don't think that's on Golden, the school didn't really have a choice. Only a few schools can hack it as an independent.
                              It's not on him, but let's not compare him to the waves of coaches before him that couldn't win in the Big East. He's in a conference where he now has the largest football budget for 8 of his 12 games. It's not comparable. Indiana could dominate Conference USA, but a coach that does that probably shouldn't get full credit for turning that program around.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I don't think you guys realize how bad it was at Temple...they got kicked out of the Big East...it takes some real effort to get kicked out of a conference. think of what it takes to turn around a program that was probably as close to the bottom as you can ever get...terrible location, terrible results, tiny fan base, 'nova taking the student athletes and JoePa taking the athlete athletes etc. Look at Golden's resume and it is pretty clear he has the pedigree, that he also could turn around the worst program in D1 (apparently without doing the Ron Meyer shuffle) gives reason to believe he will be successful in his career. He was rumored to be in line to replace Joe when they finally figure out he is already dead...Miami might have felt it was a stretch right now but the best choice for the long run.
                                I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X