X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
    Ugh, I hate losing to Clarkson.
    Ditto. Clarkson was better tonight. SLU is so banged up and now we lose Sean Flanagan. It is not a good year to be a Saint Senior I guess. SLU has to find a way to score more goals, get the PP going, and not give up bad goals. Didn't have a good view of Clarkson's first goal but Weninger wasn't happy about it...probably man in the crease?? Second goal SLU gets caught on a change and third goal is just a turn over with too many guys up ice.

This feels way too much like 85-86....so many close losses and so many injuries.

Have to hand it to Clarkson though....Karpowich had a good game, Clarkson capitalized on their chances and a team banged up as SLU is going to struggle coming back from 3-0.

We need the two weeks off. Let's hope we can at least get a split at QU/PU....or this could be a long season.

As much as I hate losing to Clarkson...I'll hate that muppet Sullivan being right about his preseason prediction more. Even though we outplayed Clarkson in the last two periods, it was too little and too late. We can't give up leads.
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
      Ditto. Clarkson was better tonight. SLU is so banged up and now we lose Sean Flanagan. It is not a good year to be a Saint Senior I guess. SLU has to find a way to score more goals, get the PP going, and not give up bad goals. Didn't have a good view of Clarkson's first goal but Weninger wasn't happy about it...probably man in the crease?? Second goal SLU gets caught on a change and third goal is just a turn over with too many guys up ice.

This feels way too much like 85-86....so many close losses and so many injuries.

Have to hand it to Clarkson though....Karpowich had a good game, Clarkson capitalized on their chances and a team banged up as SLU is going to struggle coming back from 3-0.

We need the two weeks off. Let's hope we can at least get a split at QU/PU....or this could be a long season.

As much as I hate losing to Clarkson...I'll hate that muppet Sullivan being right about his preseason prediction more. Even though we outplayed Clarkson in the last two periods, it was too little and too late. We can't give up leads.
      Didn't get to see or hear the game. Went and watched Q Pac against Harvard. Q had the game in hand 4-1. Richter got pulled at 3-1 and at 4-1 Donato called a time out and Harvard ultimtely tied it at 4-4 before Q won it in the third. Richter looked so ordinary it was hard to flash back to what he did to us.

Boy with this long road trip coming up I fear this could be a very long year. Leckster while I understand what you say about the injuries that is no excuse. Clarkson is just as banged up and if I am not mistaken had a player leave the program to go to RPI. They got the job done and we didn't. Again, I didn't see the game but just looking at the stats we give up 3 goals on only 18 shots??? Sounds from reading the recap like Karpowich and the PP did us in again. At least the veterans won their game handily so I can find some solace in that.

I didn't hear about anything so what happened to Flanagan??

We have a couple of weeks to gather ourselves......get some good practices in, and then hit the road for quite a stretch. I can only hope that things don't continue to head south.
      SLU

Comment

WDT's Cap Carey reported in his blog that Flanny left without help, but appeared to be holding his shoulder in the hallway later in the game. Also said Greg Carey left with a shoulder injury.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
          Clarkson is just as banged up and if I am not mistaken had a player leave the program to go to RPI.
          I think that what you heard is that Mike Zalewski, the brother of a former Golden Knight, recently committed to RPI. That may have ****ed some Clarkson fans but didn't hurt them this season. (Then again, I may have missed some other news.)
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

So I guess this is going to mean that the team revisits the starting goalie issue. What has happened with Robby Moss? I think I read on the old thread that there was a game he didn't dress for a week or two ago? And Grilk came in as the backup against Dartmouth and didn't fare that well. Weninger has now had two tough outings in a row, giving up 4 goals on just over 20 shots last weekend against Dartmouth before getting pulled, and now 3 goals on 18. That said I wasn't at either game, so not sure what the goals were like, just seems like there needs to be a little shake up. I don't want to put it all on the tenders, because the offense needs to start capitalizing on all of these shots as well.

Tough news for Sean, hopefully nothing to serious with him or Carey. Those could both be huge losses for us if they are out for any kind of time.
            Last edited by mainstreethockey; 11-21-2010, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Clarkson's first goal was by Zarbo on a rebound off a shot from in close. Clarkson's second goal was a beautiful breakout pass from Boak deep in the defensive zone to Defazio in the neutral zone just before the SLU blue line. He skated it up the sideboards into the offensive zone against a SLU dman and noticed Freeman streaking up center ice with a step on a SLU player. From the edge of the faceoff circle, he centered a pass that Freeman tipped with his stick from may be 6 feet in front of the goal crease. Wenninger went down sprawled across the goal mouth and the puck went about 2 feet into the air over his body and into the net. The last goal was another beautiful pass play. McPherson won a battle in the corner, passed to Morley at the faceoff circle and he quickly set a pass to Zarbo who was left unprotected in the slot. Zarbo skated across the crease and waited for Wenninger to make his move (down) and he rifled a beautiful wrist shot into the top of the net. SLU's lone goal was on an awful play by Pokoluk. Had a chance to clear the zone up ice from one corner but for some reason decided it would be better to throw the puck behind the net and up the opposite side boards. Unfortunately Vangog was there and he did a great job of battling for the puck and sent a shot on net that Essery tipped in.

To me there were a number of reasons Clarkson won this edition of the North Country Battle
              1) Karpowich was great in the nets and made 4 or 5 stellar saves
              2) The Clarkson penalty kill was great. Keeping sticks down on the ice in the passing lanes to break up plays, blocking shots with the body, clearing the puck out of the zone and overall limiting SLU's chances.
              3) The use of instant replay. This was the turning point of period 3 IMHO. With about 10 min to go SLU is on a 5 on 3 PP, is buzzing around the net and a shot is deflected up into the air probably 10 feet right above the crease. Sticks go into the air and the puck ends up in the net to make it 3-2. Clarkson protests that it went in on off a SLU high stick. The officials conference and decide to go the the replay booth. Replay say's it's no goal. Clarkson goes on to kill the 5 on 3. If that goal had counted who knows how the final minute of the 2nd penalty would have played out or the final 10 minutes of the game.
              Last edited by vicb; 11-21-2010, 07:51 AM.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreethockey View Post
                So I guess this is going to mean that the team revisits the starting goalie issue. What has happened with Robby Moss? I think I read on the old thread that there was a game he didn't dress for a week or two ago? And Grilk came in as the backup against Dartmouth and didn't fare that well. Weninger has now had two tough outings in a row, giving up 4 goals on just over 20 shots last weekend against Dartmouth before getting pulled, and now 3 goals on 18. That said I wasn't at either game, so not sure what the goals were like, just seems like there needs to be a little shake up. I don't want to put it all on the tenders, because the offense needs to start capitalizing on all of these shots as well.

Tough news for Sean, hopefully nothing to serious with him or Carey. Those could both be huge losses for us if they are out for any kind of time.
                The problem is team defense, not goaltending. I have only seen one goal given up by Weninger that was on him which was against Harvard. The three goals last night....first one was a defensive lapse and the guy stuffed in from inside the crease, second one was essentially a long lead pass breakaway that Weninger dove to try and get but the Clarkson player got his stick on it and it went over Weninger into the net but was caused by SLU getting caught on a terrible change, and the third goal was a turnover in our zone which was essentially a 3-1 and a quick pass to the weak side for an open net....defense, change, defense. At the other end, Karpowich did steal one or two but we continue to be our own worse enemy offensively. There were several mishandled pucks at the point. Our PP is getting easier to defend because of over-reliance on point men and not enough cooking down low, missed nets, etc.

As for Moss, based on the first weekends games, Weninger was better. Moss was back in his net and gave up a couple of iffy goals. Weninger was solid. I am sure Moss can earn the spot back by busting his butt in practice and take it back, but, to be honest, the fact he did not dress that weekend which I noticed says there might be something going on there.

Mike, what happened at the end of the Harvard - Quin game? Zurevinski got 15 PIM for CTH....should it have been a Game DQ instead of a Game Misconduct? That it happened at the 20 minute mark is one of the reasons I don't have much good to say about Q-Pac, especially when there was nothing matching by Harvard. Injuries is not the only reason we lost. We continue to give up bad goals due to bad team defense and continue to struggle to score goals but the man games lost to injury is staggering when you add up Keller, Bogo, Child, Logue, Wick, etc., and banged up Baker and Hughes and God knows who else and now Sean Flanagan and Carey...I know Flanny was not on the ice at the end of the game.....it is an issue. The lines can't find chemistry, we continue to end with broken lines during games. In 85-86, we lost 10-1 at Clarkson down four starting defensmen...McColgan, McGeough, Lammens and someone were out. I know our defense that game was 3 freshmen and Dave Saunders moved back from Forward. The problem as I see it is we are a very young team as we were then and it is tough to find your identity as a team with a lineup that keeps changing and is lacking senior leadership.

Anyway, the game last night. Clarkson got 3 PP's and out shot us in the first, but after that SLU carried the game and pretty well dominated in the second and third. Clarkson continued to have some pretty good chances on their limited shots, but we were the better team. So, maybe a moral victory but that doesn't feel have as good as the real thing. We need to get better...I think we will. Will it be enough and soon enough is the question.
                Last edited by Got 6, Want More; 11-21-2010, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  Clarkson's first goal was by Zarbo on a rebound off a shot from in close. Clarkson's second goal was a beautiful breakout pass from Boak deep in the defensive zone to Defazio in the neutral zone just before the SLU blue line. He skated it up the sideboards into the offensive zone against a SLU dman and noticed Freeman streaking up center ice with a step on a SLU player. From the edge of the faceoff circle, he centered a pass that Freeman tipped with his stick from may be 6 feet in front of the goal crease. Wenninger went down sprawled across the goal mouth and the puck went about 2 feet into the air over his body and into the net. The last goal was another beautiful pass play. McPherson won a battle in the corner, passed to Morley at the faceoff circle and he quickly set a pass to Zarbo who was left unprotected in the slot. Zarbo skated across the crease and waited for Wenninger to make his move (down) and he rifled a beautiful wrist shot into the top of the net. SLU's lone goal was on an awful play by Pokoluk. Had a chance to clear the zone up ice from one corner but for some reason decided it would be better to throw the puck behind the net and up the opposite side boards. Unfortunately Vangog was there and he did a great job of battling for the puck and sent a shot on net that Essery tipped in.

To me there were a number of reasons Clarkson won this edition of the North Country Battle
                  1) Karpowich was great in the nets and made 4 or 5 stellar saves
                  2) The Clarkson penalty kill was great. Keeping sticks down on the ice in the passing lanes to break up plays, blocking shots with the body, clearing the puck out of the zone and overall limiting SLU's chances.
                  3) The use of instant replay. This was the turning point of period 3 IMHO. With about 10 min to go SLU is on a 5 on 3 PP, is buzzing around the net and a shot is deflected up into the air probably 10 feet right above the crease. Sticks go into the air and the puck ends up in the net to make it 3-2. Clarkson protests that it went in on off a SLU high stick. The officials conference and decide to go the the replay booth. Replay say's it's no goal. Clarkson goes on to kill the 5 on 3. If that goal had counted who knows how the final minute of the 2nd penalty would have played out or the final 10 minutes of the game.
                  I agree that was a crucial call...not just because it was no goal but because the faceoff went to the other end. That is how we lost to Union last year in Albany too. I sure hope the instant replay was clear enough that the refs made the right call. I couldn't tell from the video.

I agree with you Vic. Would just add that if we can't score on a 1-minute 5 on 3, that is an issue. We continue to struggle offensive. three goals in three games is not going to cut it....especially with a team that has been giving up some easy ones.

Comment

Mike, what happened at the end of the Harvard - Quin game? Zurevinski got 15 PIM for CTH....should it have been a Game DQ instead of a Game Misconduct? That it happened at the 20 minute mark is one of the reasons I don't have much good to say about Q-Pac, especially when there was nothing matching by Harvard.
                    I won't speak for Mike and I personally did not see what precipitated the Zurvy confrontation. There was a huge scrum in the corner along the boards over the last 2-3 seconds... bodies everywhere. At the buzzer, Zurvy and Moriarity (?) were in front of the net, down on the ice, with Zurvy on top. My buddy thought he saw Zurvy take a swing which makes sense given the 5 for CTH. I think all 4 officials were busy with the larger pack so maybe they only saw the retaliation and not the instigation, hence no calls on Harvard. My only guess is that Moriarity ran at Hartzell and Zurvy took exception... again I did not see that specific incident since I was watching the larger mess in the corner.

In my opinion, this was a result of the refs not calling a thing from around the mid part of the 2nd. After Donato called his timeout, the physical play escalated (on both sides). Both teams benefitted from non-calls and I mentioned to Mike at one point that things would get ugly if they let it continue and he agreed. Things were a little calmer (or at least less blatant) during the 3rd until the last couple of minutes.
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                    Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I agree that was a crucial call...not just because it was no goal but because the faceoff went to the other end. That is how we lost to Union last year in Albany too. I sure hope the instant replay was clear enough that the refs made the right call. I couldn't tell from the video.

I agree with you Vic. Would just add that if we can't score on a 1-minute 5 on 3, that is an issue. We continue to struggle offensive. three goals in three games is not going to cut it....especially with a team that has been giving up some easy ones.
                      First........thanks for the update Vic. Very thorough and unbiased opinon.
                      Second.....I went to the women's game on Friday night to see them play Yale. In
                      that game the women actually were down on a 5 on 3 and scored a shortie down 2 (I almost said men!!!) players. Beautiful rush up ice 2 on 1 and they scored. Talk about a game changer!!
                      Third.....as to your question about the penalties at the end of the game (Q Pac/Harvard). Harvard had their goalie pulled and was putting on a lot of pressure at the end. Hartzell made a couple of huge stops and there was a faceoff with around 7 seconds to go. As the buzzer sounded there was a big scrum around the net and several players paired off and there was a pig pile of players on the ice. Zurevinski with his helmet off went after a Harvard player and even after they separated he still kept going after him. I didn't see anything specific he or anyone else did but the penalties may have been just because he wouldn't let it drop and kept pursuing things after they were separated and kept going after Harvard players. I'm not turning into a Q fan Leckster but I do have to say that I thought Harvard was the dirtier of the two teams. When they got behind Harvard really picked up the hitting and there were several elbows, one where away from the play a Harvard player elbowed Dalhuesin in the head and he went down like he was shot and nothing was called. The refs let the game get a bit out of control. As for during the game Q did not get a single penalty called on them if I am not mistaken and the referee's swallowed the whistle most of the game which is an oddity in ECAC games.
                      Fourth........it must be hunting season as there are no posts from Tim. Maybe he's going for a tri-fecta and trying to shoot a Tur-Duck-en for Thanksgiving dinner!!!!
                      SLU

Comment

I have heard a few people mentioning the goaltending issue. I completely agree that this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I wanted to point out something that I have heard others talking about and that is the reason Moss has been unavailable for us is because he is having an academic issue. This could be just a rumor, but it would make sense as to why we have stuck with Wenninger for so long this season and not shook things up. But I, unlike others, don't have any direct insider information to back this up.
                        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                          First........thanks for the update Vic. Very thorough and unbiased opinon.
                          Second.....I went to the women's game on Friday night to see them play Yale. In
                          that game the women actually were down on a 5 on 3 and scored a shortie down 2 (I almost said men!!!) players. Beautiful rush up ice 2 on 1 and they scored. Talk about a game changer!!
                          Third.....as to your question about the penalties at the end of the game (Q Pac/Harvard). Harvard had their goalie pulled and was putting on a lot of pressure at the end. Hartzell made a couple of huge stops and there was a faceoff with around 7 seconds to go. As the buzzer sounded there was a big scrum around the net and several players paired off and there was a pig pile of players on the ice. Zurevinski with his helmet off went after a Harvard player and even after they separated he still kept going after him. I didn't see anything specific he or anyone else did but the penalties may have been just because he wouldn't let it drop and kept pursuing things after they were separated and kept going after Harvard players. I'm not turning into a Q fan Leckster but I do have to say that I thought Harvard was the dirtier of the two teams. When they got behind Harvard really picked up the hitting and there were several elbows, one where away from the play a Harvard player elbowed Dalhuesin in the head and he went down like he was shot and nothing was called. The refs let the game get a bit out of control. As for during the game Q did not get a single penalty called on them if I am not mistaken and the referee's swallowed the whistle most of the game which is an oddity in ECAC games.
                          Fourth........it must be hunting season as there are no posts from Tim. Maybe he's going for a tri-fecta and trying to shoot a Tur-Duck-en for Thanksgiving dinner!!!!
                          Thanks for the perspective. Harvard can be dirty. I always maintain that the dirtiest player (or at least play) I have ever seen in ECAC was a Harvard player. In fact, it may be one and two.

I am happy to report that I don't think officiating was an issue at all last night (unless, of course, they got the called back goal for SLU wrong in which case it sucked the big one!). I did not agree with the call on Wick for charging, but we got away with two in a row in the second. For the most part, they called a pretty good game.

Yes, there were only two minors called on Harvard and they got a shortie, and a major/misconduct called on Q-Pac at 20 minutes of the third. Haven't looked at Q-Pac's schedule, but just wondered if Zurevinski would be out against us if it was a Game DQ!?

As for goaltending, my concern only is that Wenninger is not getting a break. Surprised we haven't seen Spadacinni at all if Moss is out. I personally thought Moss was the best goalie we had last year but Petizian won some big games for us and Tisi got hot in the second half. It would be two bad if Moss was doing fine when playing behind those two guys and then runs into academic trouble when he has a good shot at being number one.

Maybe Tim is posting to himself on the old thread??

Comment

Harvard can be dirty.
                            I wouldn't say they were dirty last night but they were very physical and both teams got into that gray area on occasion. Calls that we see made week in and week out were not made last night it seemed.

Haven't looked at Q-Pac's schedule, but just wondered if Zurevinski would be out against us if it was a Game DQ!?
                            No such luck! First, it wasn't a DQ and second, we have Princeton Tuesday night and UMass on Saturday.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post

No such luck! First, it wasn't a DQ and second, we have Princeton Tuesday night and UMass on Saturday.
                              I realize it wasn't called a game DQ, but when something like that gets called at the 20 Minute mark of the third, the tape has a way of making it to the league offices for supplemental discipline....especially if Donato were mad enough to send it there!

It seems to me a DQ would have been the right call because it is hard to see how a 5 minute CTH is not also attempt to injure which I believe carries an automatic Game DQ....but whatever....no need to help Princeton out.

Comment

Mike is right: I've been very busy not seeing any deer. (Actually, I had a buck walk right up to me yesterday. Unfortunately, his antlers were about a half inch long and he weighed about 70 pounds. Other than that, it's been pretty desolate at our place. I even hunted over in NY for three days with about 8 other guys. First time in 27 years they went a whole week without anyone shooting a deer!! I may be a jinx.)

It's going to be a long season this year, with a few more highlights and (I expect) quite a few more tough nights. As long as they keep their heads up, and keep trying to improve, we should be able to make life interesting for other teams come March.

Comment

Working...
                                X