Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
    Last time checked this is a hockey sight. Yes, no
    Yes, but association is the best method of understanding.

Comment

I prefer "tumultuous conclusion" or "precipitous contest-termination score event."

Comment

• Originally posted by MavRick View Post
        I prefer "tumultuous conclusion" or "precipitous contest-termination score event."
        How about the great work Jim dahl did a few threads back with his pairwise assumptions

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
          I posted my Final PWR predictions for UND yesterday, here's what I came up with for remaining PWR possibilities:

Team PWR Overall
          Possible

Final

PWR
          Likely (>1%)

Final

PWR
          Rensselaer 16 10 to 19 11 to 16
          I'm curious as to how you get Rensselaer down to 18th / 19th. The lowest I had been able to put them was 17th.

ETA: Not sure why the formatting got screwed up, but I can't figure out how to fix it.
          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
            I'm curious as to how you get Rensselaer down to 18th / 19th. The lowest I had been able to put them was 17th.
            I should have clarified in my post here (as I did with the original publication of that table) that ties are broken with RPI. Rensselaer can end up in a 3-way tie for 17th, but with the lowest RPI of the three, hence 19 for seeding purposes.

Comment

I should have clarified in my post here (as I did with the original publication of that table) that ties are broken with RPI. Rensselaer can end up in a 3-way tie for 17th, but with the lowest RPI of the three, hence 19 for seeding purposes.
              Understood. I had been able to get them in a 2-way tie for 16th, hence 17. I hadn't yet found a way to get them any lower than that, though.
              Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                Understood. I had been able to get them in a 2-way tie for 16th, hence 17. I hadn't yet found a way to get them any lower than that, though.
                Ah, no problem. One is a really obscure branch in which Alaska-Anchorage wins the WCHA tournament.

That's enough to flip the Alaska-Anchorage comparison and Colorado College comparisons (both on the basis of RPI). Set everything else up the same but have Minnesota-Duluth beat Alaska-Anchorage and Rensselaer ends up 14th and in.

There are a couple other similar setups, but all are equally delicate.

Atlantic Hockey

* Semifinal #2: Air Force defeats Holy Cross
                * Semifinal #1: Connecticut defeats RIT
                * Championship game: Air Force defeats Connecticut

CCHA

* Semifinal #2: Miami defeats Notre Dame
                * Semifinal #1: Michigan defeats Western Michigan
                * Championship game: Michigan defeats Miami
                * Consolation game: Notre Dame defeats Western Michigan

ECAC

* Semifinal #2: Cornell defeats Dartmouth
                * Semifinal #1: Yale defeats Colgate
                * Championship game: Yale defeats Cornell
                * Consolation game: Dartmouth defeats Colgate

Hockey East

* Semifinal #2: New Hampshire defeats Merrimack
                * Semifinal #1: Northeastern defeats Boston College
                * Championship game: New Hampshire defeats Northeastern

WCHA

* Play-in #2: Minnesota-Duluth defeats Bemidji State
                * Play-in #1: Alaska-Anchorage defeats Colorado College
                * Semifinal #2: Minnesota-Duluth defeats Denver
                * Semifinal #1: Alaska-Anchorage defeats North Dakota
                * Championship game: Alaska-Anchorage defeats Minnesota-Duluth
                Last edited by JimDahl; 03-15-2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Ah, no problem. One is a really obscure branch in which Alaska-Anchorage wins the WCHA tournament.

That's enough to flip the Alaska-Anchorage comparison and Colorado College comparisons (both on the basis of RPI). Set everything else up the same but have Minnesota-Duluth beat Alaska-Anchorage and Rensselaer ends up 14th and in.

There are a couple other similar setups, but all are equally delicate.
                  The system certainly isn't stable to small perturbations.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Having Holy Cross win the AHA title over UConn, instead of AFA over UConn, bumps Rensselaer up to 15th and in the tournament. Now that's close!
                    Go Red!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      When the sample size is as small as it is, one game can change so much - particularly among COp when the sample size may just be a game or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        It's a combination of a hard off/on on TUC (the TUCliff (tm)) and the small sample sizes in COP. I'm not sure that anything should necessarily be done about the latter (although I'm not thrilled with seeing, e.g., 1 - 0 beat 1 - 1, maybe a floor of, say, five games could help there), but the former is crying out for some sort of switching function to ease teams across the line between TUC and not TUC as far as impact on PWR is concerned.
                        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

I posted my Final PWR predictions for UND yesterday, here's what I came up with for remaining PWR possibilities:

Team PWR Overall
                          Possible

Final

PWR
                          Likely (>1%)

Final

PWR
                          Michigan 4 2 to 11 3 to 11

It would definitely be interesting to hear if anyone has found anything outside those ranges.

How did you get Michigan above 4? I couldn't get them over 4 even with a CCHA championship.

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
                            How did you get Michigan above 4? I couldn't get them over 4 even with a CCHA championship.
                            And how did you get BU to 13, I can't get them above 14.
                            time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
                              I got Michigan to 2 with this:

Atlantic Hockey
                              Semifinal #2: Air Force defeats Holy Cross
                              Semifinal #1: RIT defeats Connecticut
                              Championship game: RIT defeats Air Force

CCHA
                              Semifinal #2: Notre Dame defeats Miami
                              Semifinal #1: Michigan defeats Western Michigan
                              Championship game: Michigan defeats Notre Dame
                              Consolation game: Miami defeats Western Michigan

ECAC
                              Semifinal #2: Dartmouth defeats Cornell
                              Semifinal #1: Colgate defeats Yale
                              Championship game: Colgate defeats Dartmouth
                              Consolation game: Cornell defeats Yale

Hockey East
                              Semifinal #2: New Hampshire defeats Merrimack
                              Semifinal #1: Boston College defeats Northeastern
                              Championship game: New Hampshire defeats Boston College

WCHA
                              Play-in #2: Bemidji State defeats Minnesota-Duluth
                              Play-in #1: Alaska-Anchorage defeats Colorado College
                              Semifinal #2: Denver defeats Bemidji State
                              Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Alaska-Anchorage
                              Championship game: North Dakota defeats Denver

(Yale loses two games to have their RPI drop below Michigan's and flip the Yale-Michigan / BC comparisons, BC loses to UNH and Michigan beats Notre Dame to flip the Common Opponents and TUC (Notre Dame gets 2 wins, BC gets 1 loss from their tournaments) to flip the Michigan / BC comparison)
                              Last edited by burgie12; 03-15-2011, 08:17 PM.
                              Go Red!!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                                It's a combination of a hard off/on on TUC (the TUCliff (tm)) and the small sample sizes in COP. I'm not sure that anything should necessarily be done about the latter (although I'm not thrilled with seeing, e.g., 1 - 0 beat 1 - 1, maybe a floor of, say, five games could help there), but the former is crying out for some sort of switching function to ease teams across the line between TUC and not TUC as far as impact on PWR is concerned.
                                Yes, I understand that. The topic of the cliff has come up many times. Somewhere I recall someone writing that switching from the top 25 being TUCs to everyone with .5 RPI would cure that. That made little sense since there still would be a cliff. With the total number of teams being TUCs likely to be more, (an expected 29 instead of 25), the effect of one entering or exiting would be a bit less -- but not much.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X