Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does New Fan Forum mean Improved Fan Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does New Fan Forum mean Improved Fan Forum?

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
    The board feels like we went back in time 10 years.
    Agree. Very slow and difficult to navigate.

I'm wondering what they were trying to accomplish with the changes? Used to be able to go to 'Standings', click on a team and get all kinds of information on that team (Roster, Stats, etc., etc.). Now you just get that teams schedule. For that matter, there's no longer a 'Standings' heading. You'll find 'Standings' under 'Scoreboard'.

Speaking of 'Scoreboard', it was never very good (very, very slow to update), but at least it was easy to read. Now...
    If you want a 'Scoreboard', go here. It updates scores every 2 minutes, and even sends them to my cell phone.

I'm confused with all the new USCHO changes. But I guess it's all about $$$. Drive more folks to the site = advertising $$$, etc. But, once the people get to the site, will they stay here? This old timer wouldn't... to gd confusing to me. I guess the college kids would... but that just brings you back to the $$$ issue.

I'm a big believer in the old saying, "if it's not broke, don't fix it". Sad that the old USCHO was broke, because the new one sucks. JMHO.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Navigating USCHO Fan Forum is now more difficult and cumbersome. Here's why...

General Settings: I have always had my Thread Display Mode set at "Linear-Oldest First". This means that when I open a thread, the oldest (the first post of the thread) displays at the top of page. The advantage of this format is when I open the thread, I can click on "View First Unread" and I go directly to the first post I haven't read, and then scroll down to read all posts I haven't read since my last visit. This feature still works, although they moved the "View First Unread" button, which I can get used to.

When using the "View First Unread" feature, you don't exit the thread by hitting the back button on your browser, because if you do, the Forum doesn't know what you've read or that you've even visited the thread. You must exit the thread by hitting the Quick Navigation Tool that is at the bottom right of the page, just below the last post you read. The Navigation Tool will display the name of the Forum you are currently at. By exiting the thread this way, the thread refreshes and the next time you visit the thread, you can hit the "View First Unread" and it will take you to where you left off. The tool still works this way, BUT HERE'S THE PROBLEM....

The new 'Quick Navigation' tool isn't so quick. Mine currently says, 'USCHO Cafe' because that's the forum I'm in. When I click on that, the thread should refresh and I should be taken back to the forum home page. Nope... when I click on that, I get a scroll bar that lists every Site Area and Forum on USCHO. I have to scroll down to find the 'USCHO Cafe', and click on it to refresh and return to the home page.

The old tool used to be 1-click (with the option of scrolling to change Forums, if desired) which was quick and easy. The new tool is click, scroll, click. A big step backwards.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

It took me 2 years to stop hating Office 2007 on sight.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This seems closer to the board we had 3 or 4 boards ago...which is rather trippy if you ask me.

Beyond that I dislike it quite a bit.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            I can't live without it now. The laptop at my new job had 2003 installed. I immediately set out to see if I could get 2007. Which I eventually installed.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I still hate Word with the passion of 20 million jihadists.
              Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                I'm trying real hard to get used to the new look, but not much luck so far. I still don't like it. I don't even like posting anymore. and I'd put the sad face smiley with that but I don't know where the smileys are.
                You've seriously posted here for 6 years and haven't figured out that : plus ( equals ?

I do have a real question, though. I'm trying to make an album, so I went and read the FAQ.

As a member, you can create Albums of images that are linked to your public profile. Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Pictures & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'.
                Yeah...there is no "Pictures & Albums" link. Anyone find it? Do I need to have Extra to upload pictures?
                Last edited by Dude Love; 10-19-2010, 04:07 AM.
                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Make sure you close your style tags. Just sayin'.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
                    The board feels like we went back in time 10 years.
                    I can't remember the last time the fan forum timed out on game nights. Maybe 2000? 2001? It happened a couple weekends ago. All in the name of progress...
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Anyone find the Pictures & Albums link?
                      St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Why does searching only find posts since the upgrade?

and if it's a volume-related problem with indexing - I've said this before, but there cannot possibly be a valid reason to need to keep 10,000 threads in the Cafe.

Comment

This post might be a good prompt to ask:

Why not put all the "Association" game threads in their own place in the Forum, and out of the Cafe ? Just think of the post volume moved out of the Cafe if that happened.

Originally posted by jen View Post
                          Why does searching only find posts since the upgrade?

and if it's a volume-related problem with indexing - I've said this before, but there cannot possibly be a valid reason to need to keep 10,000 threads in the Cafe.
                          Maine coach Red Gendron said:
                          “We’re not satisfied unless we win, that’s the bottom line. There are no moral victories. If we were to play a season for just moral victories, why even bother playing?”

Comment

If I were in charge of moving anything out of the Cafe, it would be the political threads.

Not for volume. Just pax vobiscum.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Guys - Change sucks for everyone.

Just remember that if Henry Ford had asked people what they needed to improve their lives, they would have said faster horses.

Perhaps in a few weeks / months, this new user interface / user experience will make sense.

Comment

Can anyone post from an iPad or iPod? I could not from the iPod the other night.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X