No announcement yet.

Ohio State 2010/2011 - No way but up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State 2010/2011 - No way but up.

Originally posted by Dirty Hobbit View Post
    So what is everyone's guess which former player is "Sportsfan1"?
    Exactly my thought DH.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Hobbit View Post
      So what is everyone's guess which former player is "Sportsfan1"?
      My thought was more of a helicopter parent of one of the players cut.

Comment

To: KHD
        A parent yes, of one of the "former" players cut,,,,No... Just a Buckeyes fan that takes the time to research the facts before he posts them.... Something that I really doubt you do before you spout off... Everyone on this blog is hoping for a return to a quality Hockey program at OSU. Its unfortunate that its gotten off to a bad start. Hopefully that can be corrected and OSU's reputation in the recruiting process can start to improve.

Comment

I don't think we've gotten off to a bad start and as far as recruiting goes that was one of Oz's specialties at Wisconsin but for the real evidence of our current ability to recruit will come in 2 weeks when the first of OZ's NLI's are signed.

Comment

The following is from the College Hockey News article about Osiecki:

To put it succinctly: the Buckeyes hockey program and its players may be in for a culture shock. Some of that has already taken place, with some players being let go from the team, albeit with scholarships intact.

If the players were released from the hockey team but kept their scholarships, what's the problem with that and how will this hurt recruiting?

Comment

Oz was very successful with the Green Bay Gamblers before he came to Wisconsin. He developed those kids and got them ready for college hockey. It was a big pay cut for him to take the Wisconsin job, but he took it so that he would eventually get the opportunity that he now enjoys.

When Eaves first got to Wisconsin, he encountered a culture of complacency and upperclassmen that were resistant to change. They flat out refused to do what Eaves wanted them to do and made fun of the freshman class who were trying to buy in. That season went very badly and culminated in an altercation between Eaves and a player that nearly got Eaves canned. Oh by the way, the freshman class that was trying to buy in included Adam Burish, Tom Gilbert and 3 others who would win a National Championship as seniors.

Now I'm looking at this from afar, but I'm guessing that Oz learned from Eaves' experience and is taking measures to make sure that the culture that he believes in takes hold without his own players sabotaging it.

It may take a few years for you guys to see this turned around, but Oz was a great hire for you. Many here assumed that he would take over for Eaves at some point, but Eaves never left.

I don't know if you have the same ceiling as the premier programs in the country, but you will get much better than you have been.

Comment

How has he got of to a bad start? We have had three games with a new coach and your giving up on him and the season? Osiecki's recruiting so far has gone good, Ben Gallacher 4th round NHL draft pick, Max McCormick Wisconsins Mr hockey last year and currently has 5 points in 5 games in the USHL this year, Sam Jardine plays D with Ben Gallacher in Camrose and is on the NHL's central scouting list for draft prospects, Chad Niddery who is one one of the BCHL's top scorers (29 points in 16 games this year), and Tim Watson dont know much about him but he got an offer from Miami Ohio and Wisconsin was going to offer him once they saw him play at a higher level. Dont forget Matt Skoff and Dominik Shine either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
                  To: KHD
                  A parent yes, of one of the "former" players cut,,,,No... Just a Buckeyes fan that takes the time to research the facts before he posts them.... Something that I really doubt you do before you spout off... Everyone on this blog is hoping for a return to a quality Hockey program at OSU. Its unfortunate that its gotten off to a bad start. Hopefully that can be corrected and OSU's reputation in the recruiting process can start to improve.
                  Please tell me what I have "spouted off" about that I have not researched. I know more than you think. That said, what are you trying to accomplish with all your posts? Oz has done nothing that has not happened at other schools before, so I fail to see why you think this will all of a sudden hurt recruiting at OSU or any college for that matter.

Comment

How will this hurt recruiting??

When a player is recruited, they are recruited to go to school and play hockey.
                    Part of the appeal of the NCAA package over Major Junior is that you can go to school for four years as a student athlete. If you don't "measure up", you sit...but you are still part of the team.

As someone pointed out earlier in the forum, full scholarships are rare. Why would a student athlete that is cut from a team choose to stay at a school to utilize their partial scholarship if they are not playing hockey or no longer part of the team?
                    They can be a student anywhere and if they choose Major Jr. over the NCAA they can play more games and have a better chance of playing at a higher level of Hockey after (Statistics show). If they fail to move on to pro hockey they can use their education packages from their Jr. Teams to attend Post Secondary Schools.
                    A young hockey player with choices to make as to where he goes after Junior or High School may now think twice about an NCAA school.
                    That's how I think that this action by OSU will hurt their recruiting process. Osiecki's actions in the past few weeks by dropping the three players have set a precedent. Can it be done? I guess it can. Should it have been done?

In the College Hockey News Article it says that Bowling Green and Western Michigan "may witness similar overhauls" as they also have new coaches. Again, more NCAA schools with yearly tryouts.??

In the College Hockey News Article, Osiecki also says, "In the big picture of our program, we're able to move out 11 seniors and bring in a new culture." "You'd like to have more youth this year, but at least next year we can bring in some youth and create that culture that we're talking about here." I guess he is saying that the previous Student Athletes do not have the “Culture which entails knowledge, values, attitudes and experience” (his words). That certainly appears to be a shot at Markell, Brent, Jones and Lammers since they recruited these student athletes who by all measures appear to have carried themselves with dignity and pride while representing OSU…. Look at the number of Scholar Athletes and Letter winners in the past 3 years !!!
                    After reading something like this, I just don't think that he has much respect for the present group of players he hasn't given any of them a chance yet. After all we are only three games in !!. Sounds to me like he can hardly wait for next year. Again, I wonder what the “culture” feels like in the newly painted dressing room….

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                      Exactly my thought DH.
                      My thought was David Branch.

I'm just sayin...

I think it would be fun to invite Chris Dilks over to this thread.

Comment

I'm very happy for this team and the new Coach OZ. My problem is I'm just trying to rush things. I want change as fast as possible. I want this year to be the learning curve for the new Coach OZ and for the old players and new players. I want to get as close to a 500% season as we can this year. In the next years to come I want to be a 500% team or better.

Coaches nowdays have two different ways of looking at team building. Some Coaches like to recruit older players that have more JR hockey experience. Coach OZ wants to recruit younger players so he can train them his way. It's like the old saying " It's hard to train a OLD DOG new tricks. " Eh.

" GO BUCKS GO. "
                        " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

When coach was hired, a good friend from Minnesota told me 2 things: Oz will be a good coach, the other thing was that he knew a kid from the Minneapolis area whose dad was a nut job and an internet thug, perhaps we know who The Ohio State is?

Comment

Sportsfan1 you seem to keep repeating your perspective but it's pure opinion and not fact. I'm disappointed as well for the kids that were released but it happens and it happened before under Markell and it happens at other schools. Where were you and your outrage when Maiani and Campbell were released? Unless time proves me wrong I believe this program will become more successful and consistent that it ever has with Oz as the coach. My sources tell me were are not cast is a negative light with recruiting at this point in time. In fact the prospects know to come here at this point in time will get them in on the ground floor of a program that should achieve great things.
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-21-2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Draighlicht;4897582]Are you telling me these are the first three Canadian kids ever cut from an NCAA team?

I'm from Canada and there are plenty of kids that want to play in the United States hockey systems. Like wise for the USA kids that want to by-pass college and play Major JR's in Canada. Eh
                              " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                                Sportsfan1 ... where were you and your outrage when Maiani and Campbell were released?
                                Probably out trying to track down Tom Connerty, I would guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X