Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic City!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/timwh...he-nhl-11.html

Just saw this link from the Union Hockey Blog's Facebook page. It's an article from CBC that mentions Keith Kinkaid as a player that will likely sign with an NHL club in the next six weeks. Although this can't be viewed as anywhere near official, I can't say that Keith leaving after this season would be a suprise. After he attended multiple NHL development camps this summer I had a feeling he would likely be gone with a season like this.

Comment

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

That would be a huge loss, but wouldn't be a shocking development. At least Union has Grosenick plus recruits like Colin Stevens (a Niskayuna native) and Julien Laplante. Laplante could be on board next year and Stevens in 12-13.

LaPlante is thinking Kinkaid could be gone come fall:

"With strong goaltending already on Union’s roster, Laplante admits it was a tough decision to make.

“It was a bit of a gamble,” said Laplante. “They have a guy that will probably sign in the NHL next year. If he signs, then I have a legitimate opportunity to play a lot next year.”
      Last edited by rdf8585; 03-10-2011, 02:12 AM.

Comment

The following have until Friday at 7PM to get their 2nd Round picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs

95virago
        alslammerz
        BigRedBrouhaha
        Brett Gobe
        Brian Sullivan
        burgie12
        cnor79
        Go Puckman
        hawthr
        hockeyplayer1015
        jmhusker
        johnk
        Maine-iac
        Mike Hutter
        Onion Man
        Palaeopitus
        PutItBackOn
        REDaero91
        redrocker
        Rhamilton
        Rjm7272
        rockandrock44
        slu fan
        sshablak
        StayPuftMMcu
        TchrBill
        TheValleyRaider
        unionbob
        UnionPuckLove
        UnionTDX04
        vicb
        Wholin1
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
          That would be a huge loss, but wouldn't be a shocking development. At least Union has Grosenick plus recruits like Colin Stevens (a Niskayuna native) and Julien Laplante. Laplante could be on board next year and Stevens in 12-13.

LaPlante is thinking Kinkaid could be gone come fall:

"With strong goaltending already on Union’s roster, Laplante admits it was a tough decision to make.

“It was a bit of a gamble,” said Laplante. “They have a guy that will probably sign in the NHL next year. If he signs, then I have a legitimate opportunity to play a lot next year.”
          "Laplante accepts SCHOLARSHIP to Union"

Hockey players don't pay tuition. One way or another it gets taken care of. Debate over. Kinkaid won't stay. No way...you have a finite amount of time to make the kind of money he would get offered.

Look at D'Amigo and Pirri from RPI. While they aren't in the NHL they both got bonus' of over $250k and make $67k a year. After another 3 years @ RPI they would hope to make that upon graduation in the real world, and definitely wouldn't get a $250k bonus.

While it would be awesome if he stayed, if someone put $250k in my face with $60+ a year to play hockey combined with the fact that if I made it to the NHL i'd make $600k+ it wouldn't even be a decision, i'd bolt. You can always come back and finish up your degree, you can't always make that kind of money.

Comment

The fact that we now have the type of players that are attracting some pro interest is an obvious sign of positive growth in the program. KK was in a sweetspot as being undrafted he is as I understand it, basically a free agent, so if the scouts are enamored of him, he could do even better than JDA or BP in terms of money. It's pretty obvious that Nate and staff were aware of this possibility especially after Keith's tour of NHL developmental camps last summer as there would potentially be 4 goalies under wraps by Keith's senior season, and seemingly pretty good ones at that. I certainly don't begrude Keith doing what he thinks is best for his career and wish him well. Of course this all remains speculation at this time but my best guess is he will leave. That begs what to me is the bigger question, and that is will Nate Leaman also be leaving?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
              KK was in a sweetspot as being undrafted he is as I understand it, basically a free agent, so if the scouts are enamored of him, he could do even better than JDA or BP in terms of money.
              He's good enough that he's going to get signed for more than the maximum rookie salary? Whoas.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                He's good enough that he's going to get signed for more than the maximum rookie salary? Whoas.
                I was thinking in terms of signing bonus. Isn't that a possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  I was thinking in terms of signing bonus. Isn't that a possibility?
                  Only because the allowable total bonus appreciates from year to year, but that's an apples to oranges comparison then.

Comment

Have to be happy for Keith if that happens, but it would be a big loss for Union. This is really no surprise at all, though. Does this have any impact on when Stevens would come in? We would only have 2 goalies for next year, and Nate has always liked to keep 3 dressed.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
                      Have to be happy for Keith if that happens, but it would be a big loss for Union. This is really no surprise at all, though. Does this have any impact on when Stevens would come in? We would only have 2 goalies for next year, and Nate has always liked to keep 3 dressed.
                      I was wondering the same thing. As I recall, a couple of years ago, Corey played essentially every game when the transfer in goalie from Wayne State whose name I forget, decided to leave as soon as he arrived leaving only Rich Sillery as no. 2. I'm pretty sure the staff will have this covered one way or another.

Comment

Kinkaid leaving would be no surprise at all. He's been to multiple NHL prospect camps the last 2 summers and is an older kid, so his window of opportunity at the pro level is closing. And I always think its too simplistic to say its just about the money. I mean these kids dream their whole lives of making it to the NHL and its an opportunity most any hockey player wouldn't pass up. As for next season, I think the coaches have planned pretty well. Stevens could possibly accelerate and come early, or they could bring in a stop-gap 3rd stringer and go with Laplante and Grosenick. Of course, no matter how you look at U will be young and inexperienced between the pipes.

Also think that Welsh has to be getting looks from the pros. He has an NHL ready body and good skills too.
                        Last edited by ADK11; 03-10-2011, 02:37 PM.
                        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Couldn't they just stick around and then bolt in the middle of August?

Seriously, though, it's good to hear your school is getting NHL-worthy prospects, despite the recruiting challenges. It's a step up for you guys in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                            Also think that Welsh has to be getting looks from the pros. He has an NHL ready body and good skills too.
                            According to a recent Scouting News podcast with Ben Barr, Welsh is definately getting looks from pro teams.

Comment

He left today according to CNN !!
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                He left today according to CNN !!
                                What are you useful for, again?

Comment

Working...
                                X