X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
    Sorkin does have excellent speed and I think this may have been the second time he's been matched with Moses & Bori- IIRC, it was Burke who was on that line for game 1 @ Miami-O. He did put up impressive goal numbers while on teh Maryland U-18 squad,he's only a yr removed them- but seems to be very college ready. I see him being able to put pucks in the net after not long.

You'd might even think it would be tough to break that line up, when Burke gets healthy.. Question is - where does that put Burke?
    Agree, Sorkin will be a player in the future. I thought he was ok on in the Northeastern game but not someone who was making a impact yet. Right now he needs to gain experience which he will do this year on the fourth line. My view he is not currently a Burke replacement. If Burke can stay healthy, I think you will see Burke have a big impact playing on the BoBo/Moses line. The Washington Cap’s trade pick has nice hands for a big guys, moves the puck well in the neutral zone which compliments his line mates and is starting is to use that big body along with wing span in the offensive zone to control the puck and make plays…….key is when will he be back and will he stay healthy.

On another note, the defensive pairing of Campanale/Beck looked at time to struggle over the past few games. I believe Beck is the issue……backing in to the goalie…letting guys stand in front of the net…getting beat out of the corners. Last, year Beck looked like he picked up his game, let hope that form returns.
    PSW
    watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Don't see any comments on the upcoming game with Cornell. UNH sold out their allotment of tickets (100 I believe), so I know the Wildcats will have some support. My wife and I will be there since we are combining the game with a visit with our daughter who lives in Ithaca. I know it's a 6-7 hour drive for a Friday game so I can understand if few will be making the trek. This will be UNH's first trip to Lynah Rink in 27 years, or since their last year in the ECAC's. I'd have to assume that Cornell is out for some sort of revenge after being toasted by the Wildcats in the Albany Regionals last March. I'm pretty excited about this trip since I've never been to Lynah and never observed the Lynah faithful. I understand I am in for a treat. Any thoughts?

Comment

I hate to rain on everyone's Sorkin parade with stats, but he's a -2 with 0 shots on goal in the three games he's played.
        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
          I hate to rain on everyone's Sorkin parade with stats, but he's a -2 with 0 shots on goal in the three games he's played.
          I wouldn't trust those "shots" stats too much. I am pretty positive he has several shots on net. Including a diving backhander against michigan, and a high wrist shot deflected by hunwick's shoulder in the last 3 minutes of that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
            I wouldn't trust those "shots" stats too much. I am pretty positive he (Nick Sorkin) has several shots on net. Including a diving backhander against michigan, and a high wrist shot deflected by hunwick's shoulder in the last 3 minutes of that game.
            A player's performance and potential aren't always revealed in the boxscore of a game or two.
            In the Michigan game, I'm pretty sure Nick Sorkin played on the 4th line with fellow freshman Jeff Silengo and junior Kevin McCarey. If memory serves, I think Kevin Goumas played on the third line with Moses and Borisenok. The shots at net that Saetia observed occurred despite the limited icetime that Sorkin saw as a 4th liner. What I noticed on that night was Sorkin's size and speed.
            At the Northeastern game, Sorkin got much more icetime playing on the third line with Borisenok and Moses. Third game in college and he plays a regular shift with the 3rd line. Not bad, even as a fill-in for the injured Burke. As mentioned earlier, Sorkin's speed allowed him to keep up with the junior speedsters and I didn't notice him being out of position. Part of Sorkin's potential comes from the combination of quickness and speed on a 6'3" frame. When was the last time UNH had such a fast forward of that size? JvR had impressive cruising speed but he did not accelerate well. I'm looking forward to having this discussion at the end of Sorkin's freshman season.
            We're not the only ones who have been impressed by Nick Sorkin. Here are a couple of reviews from thescoutingreport.org and nhl.com
            Last edited by C-H-C; 10-28-2010, 07:46 AM.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Sorkin definitely has the most upside of the three freshman forwards, but he won't make anyone forget about JVR anytime soon. Goumas got a chance on the third line the second night at Miami as well as the beginning of the Michigan game. He was pretty brutal and Sorkin took over on that line late in the game as well as for the Northeastern game while Goumas took a seat in the stands. They aren't rushing Burke back, but when he is finally healthy (big if considering he hasn't played a full season since he was like 14) it will be interesting. With Thompson, Speelman, Burke, Manz, Sorkin and Goumas, this team has a lot of left wings worthy of playing time. Think we could trade one for a center?
              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                Don't see any comments on the upcoming game with Cornell. UNH sold out their allotment of tickets (100 I believe), so I know the Wildcats will have some support. My wife and I will be there since we are combining the game with a visit with our daughter who lives in Ithaca. I know it's a 6-7 hour drive for a Friday game so I can understand if few will be making the trek. This will be UNH's first trip to Lynah Rink in 27 years, or since their last year in the ECAC's. I'd have to assume that Cornell is out for some sort of revenge after being toasted by the Wildcats in the Albany Regionals last March. I'm pretty excited about this trip since I've never been to Lynah and never observed the Lynah faithful. I understand I am in for a treat. Any thoughts?
                I think that the Cats still should be upset about the drubbing that they were handed by the Big Red at Lake Whitt last January, despite the Cats successful revenge match in Albany a couple of months later, where I saw you and your daughter at the UNH pre-game rally, right? I have never been to Lynah, but have been to Ithaca in the off-season.

Comment

Alan Lessels reported that Umile said if Burke returns Friday in Ithaca he will be playing on the 4th line.

Comment

Aren't we through "The Starting Gate"?
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      I think that the Cats still should be upset about the drubbing that they were handed by the Big Red at Lake Whitt last January, despite the Cats successful revenge match in Albany a couple of months later, where I saw you and your daughter at the UNH pre-game rally, right? I have never been to Lynah, but have been to Ithaca in the off-season.
                      We were there. My wife came the next day for the East Regional coronation We had a decent time in Albany but we always have a better time in Ithaca, although it is a pretty long ride. And we never go there in mid-winter, at least not since we navigated through 10 inches of snow on Patriots Day weekend a few years ago.
                      Leaving 9AM tomorrow. If anyone is heading out, we will be at Bandwagon (I think that's the name) on S. Cayuga before the game. My daughter says it is a pretty good brew pub. Can't wait to see Rick Schaeffer in his element. Is there a Ned Harkness wall at Lynah? In all seriousness, it should be a good game, matching Cornell's tactical style against UNH's transition. Difference should be the goaltending. DiGirolamo was much maligned after last Friday's game at NU, but he did give up only two goals in a place where it is very difficult to play. We'll just have to see how it goes. Hope to see people there!

Comment

We were there. My wife came the next day for the East Regional coronation We had a decent time in Albany but we always have a better time in Ithaca, although it is a pretty long ride. And we never go there in mid-winter, at least not since we navigated through 10 inches of snow on Patriots Day weekend a few years ago.
                        Leaving 9AM tomorrow. If anyone is heading out, we will be at Bandwagon (I think that's the name) on S. Cayuga before the game. My daughter says it is a pretty good brew pub. Can't wait to see Rick Schaeffer in his element. Is there a Ned Harkness wall at Lynah? In all seriousness, it should be a good game, matching Cornell's tactical style against UNH's transition. Difference should be the goaltending. DiGirolamo was much maligned after last Friday's game at NU, but he did give up only two goals in a place where it is very difficult to play. We'll just have to see how it goes. Hope to see people there!
                        You should have fun. The Big Red are still very much a question mark this year. In the two exhibition games, the offense was a pleasant surprise, the defense was outworked in the second two periods against UQTR, and the freshman goalie from Ithaca looked good against his former teammates on the US18 squad. UNH should have the experience advantage as this is the Red's first real game and they've only been practicing a couple of weeks.
                        . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

Last week I was telling Blake Kessel to make sure he enjoyed himself with his experience in playing at Lynah...back in 75, I think 75, we played at Lynah and it was the best....back then, when you played at the Ivy schools you dressed in the field house and walked to the rinks, where you had a small room to put your skates on, and then you went on the ice...for the pregame warmup there was hardly anyone in the stands, but by game time they were full, with the fans shaking their newspapers for our player intro's....how nice to have reserved seating! we lost 3-2 but it was a great memory to have been to one of the better home arena's....If the Wildcats can hang on through the revenge adrenaline, and not get caught on the boards, they should have the speed to get the win but it will be very tough.....and I hope they enjoy they're shared experience like I have....

Comment

UNH squeaks out a 7-4 win at Lynah. (had a 6-2 lead early in the 3rd). Seems pretty impressive, will be interested to hear some accounts from those in the building. Wish I could have made the trip out, hope those that did have a safe trip home!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                              UNH squeaks out a 7-4 win at Lynah. (had a 6-2 lead early in the 3rd). Seems pretty impressive, will be interested to hear some accounts from those in the building. Wish I could have made the trip out, hope those that did have a safe trip home!
                              The boxscore indicates that the shots on goal were fairly even, UNH got burned on a short-handed goal but scored one of their own. Stevie Moses had 2 goals on 6 shots and Mike Borisenok had a goal and an assist and a +4. Impressive, again.
                              As for the "Milk Carton Boys," John Henrion had a goal on 5 shots on goal and Connor Hardowa had an assist and a +1.
                              Last edited by C-H-C; 10-29-2010, 08:58 PM.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                                If the Wildcats can hang on through the revenge adrenaline, and not get caught on the boards, they should have the speed to get the win but it will be very tough.....and I hope they enjoy they're shared experience like I have....
                                Good call... the Cats' speed tonight killed the Big Red. Especially on Sislo's second goal, that was very evident. The score was 6-2 when UNH finally let up a bit. Really, I don't think the game was as close as the final score would indicate. A lot of the Cornell shots were on the PP, which is a concern, but is not a good indicator of overall flow of the game (which was largely in UNH's favor all night).

A very strong road OOC win for UNH tonight. You could well argue that UNH has the hardest early season schedule in the country.. and their showing thus far 2-1-2 has been pretty impressive. Much more than I was expecting. It does not get easier next week either as the Cats are on the road once again at Conte vs BC and then head to Tsongas vs UMass-Lowell.
                                Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                                Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                                Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Working...
                                X