X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference Pt II - The Exodus

Originally posted by Bertogliat View Post
    The problem is there were probably a lot of fans that attended (like me) who are Gopher fans and went to see the league tournament because it is fun and is of interest even if my team did not advance. However I am not sure if I will choose to attend the WCHA tournament when the Gophers play in the B10. I guess time will tell, but the WCHA will probably lose it's luster and I think many Gopher fans will stop going on a regular basis. It's too bad, I really like the WCHA.

However, the league hasn't been as interesting lately with the diluted pool (probably since Mankato entered). I am not a fan of playing UND and UMD so little. The Gophers may actually play them nearly as much with this move (at least I hope). As a season ticket holder, I cannot remember so many weekends with so little excitement.

A conference tournament in Chicago will be lame. Thankfully I am no longer a poor college student.

I do look forward to more games with Mich and Mich St. And I look forward to more non conference games. I really hope they book hockey road trips to Ohio St and Penn St the same weekend as football or basketball (not as much) road games. That would defenitely get me to travel that far.
    Alumni from the other schools who now live in MSP will want to see WCHA games in MSP (UND, UMD, & Bemidji fans this year). This year three teams were in the tournament that do not travel well to MSP (UAA, CC, & DU) yet the tournament was a success. I think it is good for Minnesota hockey to showcase the other Minnesota colleges in MSP once in a while.

College hockey in Chicago may be good for college hockey in the long run. Remember that over two million Blackhawks fans came out to see their team hoist the Stanley cup in a parade. Blackhawks tickets are EXPENSIVE!!! 22,000 seats for 2 Million fans. If only 1% of the hockey starved Blackhawk fans attend a Big 10 tournament in Chicago the tournament will be a sellout. Might see a lot of Indian head jersies in the stands, but Gopher fans should be used to that.
    "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Bertogliat View Post
      I do look forward to more games with Mich and Mich St. And I look forward to more non conference games. I really hope they book hockey road trips to Ohio St and Penn St the same weekend as football or basketball (not as much) road games. That would defenitely get me to travel that far.
      Once BTN starts setting the schedule you can bet that Tuesday night games or games starting at 5 PM or 9 PM will become the rule not the exception. This is not about setting up cool weekends for you to visit the olde campus and catch a hockey game on the same day.

This was done to align programming that won't interfere with #1 football, #2 hoops & #3 coaches shows.

Television drove this deal and while attendance will probably go down the TV money will more than offset it.
      Last edited by dggoddard; 03-22-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
        Alumni from the other schools who now live in MSP will want to see WCHA games in MSP (UND, UMD, & Bemidji fans this year). This year three teams were in the tournament that do not travel well to MSP (UAA, CC, & DU) yet the tournament was a success. I think it is good for Minnesota hockey to showcase the other Minnesota colleges in MSP once in a while.

College hockey in Chicago may be good for college hockey in the long run. Remember that over two million Blackhawks fans came out to see their team hoist the Stanley cup in a parade. Blackhawks tickets are EXPENSIVE!!! 22,000 seats for 2 Million fans. If only 1% of the hockey starved Blackhawk fans attend a Big 10 tournament in Chicago the tournament will be a sellout. Might see a lot of Indian head jersies in the stands, but Gopher fans should be used to that.
        Well, the Red Wings had 1.4 million come out in 2008 for their parade, and that's been translating into about 14 local non-affiliated fans watching the CCHA finals.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Which poster was it that we used to give boatloads of crap to about him wanting a BTHC? Didn't think I'd see the day.
          "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
          sigpic

Comment

A lot of Toews jerseys at that.

Comment

Originally posted by dropthatpuck View Post
              Which poster was it that we used to give boatloads of crap to about him wanting a BTHC? Didn't think I'd see the day.
              Larry Bloom or whatever his name was I mean Frank the Tank.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Alumni from the other schools who now live in MSP will want to see WCHA games in MSP (UND, UMD, & Bemidji fans this year). This year three teams were in the tournament that do not travel well to MSP (UAA, CC, & DU) yet the tournament was a success.
                Yes but many of those paid seats were Gopher fans even though the team wasn't there, I do hope the F5 continues to do well but without the majority of Gopher fans buying tickets in the future who knows.
                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  Larry Bloom or whatever his name was I mean Frank the Tank.
                  Larry's probably the guy who gave Penn State the money. Got to respect a man who will spend $88 million of his own money to win an argument over the internet.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    I heard there are some rumblings at the University of Illinois about the Illini making a jump to D1 in 2014. Maybe it's only some confusion by players and staff about the "Big10" announcement?
                    I'm an Illinois guy that would love to see that happen, but I don't see how that's possible unless they (1) shockingly deem the 80-year old 2,000-seat ice arena suitable for D1-play or (2) have a major announcement that a renovation of Assembly Hall is moving forward ASAP and icemaking capabilities are a part of it. The U of I Ice Arena is a fun and loud facility where club games sell out regularly, so I've always believed that there's more than enough interest for D1 hockey at the school (coupled with the large number of Blackhawks fans from Chicago that attend), yet I wouldn't try using it for a D1 program. The Assembly Hall renovation has been discussed constantly for the past 4 years, so I'll believe it when it I see it (although it's definitely necessary).

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      The problem with this view is that it totally discounts the ticket packages that Gopher (mostly) and Badger fans purchased year after year long before they knew if their teams would make it. I understand he is trying to put the best spin on it he can, but I suspect that the 2014 F5 will be awash in red ink and empty seats.
                      Oh my gosh, Gophers fans may have to travel out of State come tournament time. Don't worry about us we are now used to having the tournament without you.

Besides, I thought it was the Sioux fans living in MSP that were purchasing the tickets year after year? Not everyone living in MSP is a Gopher fan. Plenty of UND, UMD, SCSU, Mankato and Bemidji fans living in MSP to buy tickets. Have fun in Chicago, in 2014. No really, it sounds like Chicago could be a great tournament host.
                      "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Let's run down Sterling Cooper's predictions, shall we?

BTHC a foregone conclusion....check!
                        Notre Dame will be told to @#$!@ off.....check!
                        No life rafts for directional Michigan schools, Fredo of Ohio, Minnesota regionals or any other non-Big Ten team....check!
                        Maturi will sit in room, shut mouth and do as told.....check!

Big Ten Uber Alles!

Comment

Alumni from the other schools who now live in MSP will want to see WCHA games in MSP (UND, UMD, & Bemidji fans this year). This year three teams were in the tournament that do not travel well to MSP (UAA, CC, & DU) yet the tournament was a success.
                          There was probably 1000-2000 Gopher fans attending every game of the tournament. It's highly doubtful this level of support will continue when MN departs in two years.

Comment

Oh my gosh, Gophers fans may have to travel out of State come tournament time. Don't worry about us we are now used to having the tournament without you.

Besides, I thought it was the Sioux fans living in MSP that were purchasing the tickets year after year? Not everyone living in MSP is a Gopher fan. Plenty of UND, UMD, SCSU, Mankato and Bemidji fans living in MSP to buy tickets. Have fun in Chicago, in 2014. No really, it sounds like Chicago could be a great tournament host.
                            I think that it is safe approximation that somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of all the ticket packages are purchased by either UW or MN fans, the majority of those people will stop purchasing tickets. That would, assuming a reduction of about 4,000 ticket packages sold, drop the F5 revenue by $650,000. 6,000 ticket packages would reduce revenue by nearly $1 million. Neither case paints a very rosy picture for the health of the F5 at the X long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                              There was probably 1000-2000 Gopher fans attending every game of the tournament. It's highly doubtful this level of support will continue when MN departs in two years.
                              Certainly, but with new schools participating and advancing further in the Tourney that should be easy to overcome.

Start a points system like the Frozen Four has and the Sioux fans will snap up every loose ticket.
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 03-22-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank the Tank View Post
                                I'm an Illinois guy that would love to see that happen, but I don't see how that's possible unless they (1) shockingly deem the 80-year old 2,000-seat ice arena suitable for D1-play or (2) have a major announcement that a renovation of Assembly Hall is moving forward ASAP and icemaking capabilities are a part of it. The U of I Ice Arena is a fun and loud facility where club games sell out regularly, so I've always believed that there's more than enough interest for D1 hockey at the school (coupled with the large number of Blackhawks fans from Chicago that attend), yet I wouldn't try using it for a D1 program. The Assembly Hall renovation has been discussed constantly for the past 4 years, so I'll believe it when it I see it (although it's definitely necessary).
                                I don't think renovating Assembly Hall to hold and ice rink will work. A rink is just too big, you'd have to knock out a lot of seats to get a 200 x 85 rink in there, and then you'd have tons of obstructed view seats.

The Ice Arena actually might have some potential. I think it seats about 2,000 or so as is and has a ridiculously large ice sheet (115 feet wide). Shrink that sheet down to an NHL regulation 200 x 85 and I think you could possibly squeeze in another 2,000 seats or so. I have no idea if this would be worth it from the concession and restroom standpoint, or in terms of cost-effectiveness. Worst case, it would make a great practice rink.
                                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Working...
                                X