Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penn State - Division I Hockey 2.0

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Wow. 24 players. That's just ****ing huge.
    It's all about perspective. Compare 24 to no one, and it feels a little different.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      It's all about perspective. Compare 24 to no one, and it feels a little different.
      I understand that but it's still nothing in the grand scheme of things.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
        When you combine the influence of Sidney Crosby in the Pittsburgh area plus recent success of Flyers, recent surge in hockey popularity, and sheer number of people in PA you will see a major uptick in the number of high quality hockey players PA produces in the next 5-20 years.
        I love the way the sport seems to be growing. Would love to see the PAC 8 go to division I. Also would like to see the USHL expand out of the midwest to the east coast and maybe even to the west coast.

The recent success of the Blackhawks is huge boost to the sport, especially in Illinois. Blackhawks sold out the United Center weeks ago for their first training camp session to start the 2010-2011 season. http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=538037&navid=DL|CHI|home

Selling out a 22,000 seat arens for a practice!!!
        How's that for an increase in popularity!!!
        "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Right. Just like the huge influx of players from Southern California because of Gretzky.

Please.
          Actually, much of the best talent in the United States comes out of California right now. Whether that can be attributed to Gretzky or simply the NHL expanding into non-traditional hockey markets is debatable but the facts are that some of the best players in the country are from California.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
            I love the way the sport seems to be growing. Would love to see the PAC 8 go to division I. Also would like to see the USHL expand out of the midwest to the east coast and maybe even to the west coast.

The recent success of the Blackhawks is huge boost to the sport, especially in Illinois. Blackhawks sold out the United Center weeks ago for their first training camp session to start the 2010-2011 season. http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=538037&navid=DL|CHI|home

It was $5 per person, and you missed this quote: "The building wasn't full..."

It's a shame that come October, the four time champions Chicago Wolves won't be able to draw more than 4k for a Wednesday night home game.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              It's a shame that come October, the four time champions Chicago Wolves won't be able to draw more than 4k for a Wednesday night home game.
              Two things on this. First, why is it a shame? And second, I don't think it will happen. The 'Hawks have brought attention to hockey in the Chicago market. There will still be people that can't afford to go to 'Hawks games (just like there are people that can't afford Cubs and Sox games, and the fact that there are something like 7 minor league baseball teams in suburban Chicago).

This, not to mention that what you mention isn't the same thing as a Big 10 hockey conference. The 'Hawks/Wolves are in the same market, and are NHL/AHL teams. The Big 10 argument is about teams that are theoretically equal (at least in the fact they are all competing for the same championship), and they are in different markets...
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass
              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post

Though I love your enthusiasm for hockey and think that westward expansion in college hockey is a great idea, I disagree with your comment that expanding the USHL would be a good thing. All of the other junior leagues in the country, as well as the Tier II Junior A leagues in Canada have a huge discrepancy in talent from top to bottom. This inevitably happens in every league where they get greedy and it takes away from their product significantly. Because the USHL is such a good investment (low overhead b/c of no player salaries) it will undoubtably expand and thus lessen the quality of the product but that does not make it a good idea from a quality of play standpoint. The attractiveness of the USHL in terms of recruiting and developing players lies in the fact that it is somewhat exclusive. Expansion leads to more expansion which ultimately leads to a crappy product on the ice. Just one man's opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                  Two things on this. First, why is it a shame? And second, I don't think it will happen. The 'Hawks have brought attention to hockey in the Chicago market. There will still be people that can't afford to go to 'Hawks games (just like there are people that can't afford Cubs and Sox games, and the fact that there are something like 7 minor league baseball teams in suburban Chicago).

This, not to mention that what you mention isn't the same thing as a Big 10 hockey conference. The 'Hawks/Wolves are in the same market, and are NHL/AHL teams. The Big 10 argument is about teams that are theoretically equal (at least in the fact they are all competing for the same championship), and they are in different markets...
                  Chicago is a fickle sports market. Other than the Cubs, it's a very "what have you done for me lately" town, where even the minor league team, after winning it's 4th championship, saw a DECREASE in attendance.

Even nights that the Wolves were playing the Blackhawks affiliate Rockford Icehogs, the attendance bump was only because it was a Saturday game that had special packages for groups.

I was just pointing out that for being some savior of hockey in Chicago, the Blackhawks really haven't (yet).
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Right. Just like the huge influx of players from Southern California because of Gretzky.

Please.
                    Elite.

Comments like this bug me because you have to start some where. I want to see the game expand in all parts of the country no matter the geographic place.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Penn Live

This article shows the time line and how long the talks had been going on.
                      Last edited by 4four4; 09-26-2010, 09:09 PM.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        Penn Live

This article shows the time line and how long the talks had been going on.
                        Hope Battista was able to get all the slime residue out from being in contact with David Jones. Yuck.

But this article is a perfect illustration of why I'm skeptical when Paul Kelly drops the names of 20 schools where NCAA hockey is allegedly imminent. Even at PSU, a large northeastern school with a great club program and rumors since forever, it took a ridiculous number of things coming together over the course of years, not months.
                        Penn State: Annoying everyone in college hockey since September 17, 2010.
                        1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 ACHA National Champions

Thank You Terry: A Penn State Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Scally Lama View Post
                          Hope Battista was able to get all the slime residue out from being in contact with David Jones. Yuck.

But this article is a perfect illustration of why I'm skeptical when Paul Kelly drops the names of 20 schools where NCAA hockey is allegedly imminent. Even at PSU, a large northeastern school with a great club program and rumors since forever, it took a ridiculous number of things coming together over the course of years, not months.
                          To be fair, the only one of those things that mattered was a filthy ****ing rich donor. It's funny how things just sort of happen when money is around.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            To be fair, the only one of those things that mattered was a filthy ****ing rich donor. It's funny how things just sort of happen when money is around.
                            True enough lol...but even so, what if said filthy rich guy doesn't have a hockey-playing kid who camped at PSU? And even with everything working out, it was still five years from the first conversations until an announcement.

I guess I probably should've just said "how many schools have alumni with $88 million and willing to spend it in that way?" Because without that, it's **** hard.
                            Penn State: Annoying everyone in college hockey since September 17, 2010.
                            1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 ACHA National Champions

Thank You Terry: A Penn State Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Scally Lama View Post
                              I guess I probably should've just said "how many schools have alumni with $88 million and willing to spend it in that way?" Because without that, it's **** hard.
                              I think a few teams in recent years have proven that you don't need $80+ million to start a D-I program.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Yeah, but having 88 million to kick things off sure helps. Schools like Findlay and Wayne State didn't have that kind of backing, and they're not skating any more.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X