Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Penn State - Division I Hockey 2.0

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Actually it is revisionist history as the ACHA did not exist. It does not matter if the ACHA is 'OK' with it or not. The banner should say NIT Champions or NIT National Champions.

Sean
    I should have clarified - revisionist history is not being produced by anyone here, which is what the original comment implied.

The banner situation is what it is. We formerly had banners that said "NIT," we changed them with the ACHA's blessing for consistency's sake, something we weren't alone in doing. I highly doubt that anything resembling this situation will come up in our NCAA future. Basically, it was an unnecessary cheap shot.

Nice research above, BTW. I just found those archives myself and plan on having some fun there.
    Penn State: Annoying everyone in college hockey since September 17, 2010.
    1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 ACHA National Champions

Thank You Terry: A Penn State Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Please keep going on. I really enjoy the history and want to learn why there were two tournaments (I have my own totally unsupported theory), as well as what happened to the NCCHC.

Sean
      Care to share?

I don't mind continuing to talk about it, just trying to not make enemies in my first 15 posts! Like I've said, I have tremendous respect for UAH and hope everyone's getting something from the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        Penn State fan, as a long time UNO season ticket holder, all I can say is, be careful what you wish for:

http://thankyouterry.blogspot.com/20...mike-kemp.html

Mike Kemp is a great guy, but............
        That last line is something I've heard a lot from UNO, both before and after that post. I'd say the first couple years of Blais have been a pretty strong indictment.

To be perfectly blunt, I don't think he's a candidate and I don't think he wants the job. Just thought it couldn't hurt to at least take a look at the last guy to help start a major-conference program from nothing.

Comment

If anything, the ACHA has some 'splainin to do. No offense, but the powerhouses in 1984 all attended the real championship in Huntsville that year (particularly Miami and UAH). Again, my personal thought on the issue is that by 1991 PSU was considered the current powerhouse and, with the departure of UAH in 1985 for "greener pastures" they Chargers had nothing to say before the ACHA to set the record straight. Scally, nobody considers you an enemy (as I hope you don't feel myself or tnlong are either), but being there at that time, and knowing the specifics and records and, well, how things went in that respect, seeing a claim to a "National Championship" label that is, for all intents and purposes, incorrect, but for the ACHA's apparent desire to make PSU feel good about the "NIT" level tournament it won in 1984, certainly raised some collective eyebrows (and, to a certain extent, ire). In my humble opinion, though, the enemy is the ACHA for diluting UAH's history in this manner. I look forward to PSU moving on up (and hopefully, while both independents, at least, the two programs can have home-and-home series on their schedules). Regards...

Comment

Since I'm fairly positive these teams will be seeing plenty of each other during their shared time as independents, I think you UAH & PSU guys should establish some sort of travelling rivalry trophy. I figure you'll be playing each other a couple of weekends a season while everyone else is locked into conference play.

Call it something simple, like the "1984 Trophy". You could just start it between the Booster groups and have some fun with it. I bet it would get a few good write ups before and after every series.
            BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
            CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
            2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
            2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

As an addendum: There's so many other things you could do with this. Alumni games. A ceremonial puck drop or face-off between the 1984 captains. The individual school's could honor their respective 1984 championship team during an intermission.

Even if the rivalry only lasts a couple seasons and disappears when conference homes emerge, this 1984 thing strikes me as something your programs & fanbases could really have some fun with. I hope something cool comes out of this debate.
              BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
              CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
              2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
              2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
                Call it something simple, like the "1984 Trophy".
                The Orwell Cup?
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

In 1984, PSU won the Arizona College Hockey Assembly tournament.
                  Originally posted by tnlong View Post
                  ... If I was interested in PSU hockey history and felt that there was any justifiable claim to "National" championships back then, the following questions would be gnawing at me:
                  1. ...
                  2. With AZ and PSU both being part of the "process" in 1982 and 1983, what led to their not honoring it in 1984 and 1985?
                  3. Given that the established process had the established 1984 National Collegiate Club Hockey Championship tournament being played elsewhere, what justification was given for claiming that the AZ games had any "National" relevance?
                  4. If the AZ games had any "National" relevance, why were the Midwest Collegiate Hockey Association Champions, , the Central States Collegiate Hockey League Champions, the Mid Central Collegiate Hockey Association Champions, and especially the Rocky Mountain Collegiate Hockey Association Champions not there?

Comment

I still like the idea of having PSU and UAH play for a place in the CCHA; loser goes to the BTHC (heh).

Comment

Working...
                    X