Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

You are correct. The referees did wear nameplates last year. To take those off is a poor move. It was a poor move when the NHL did so, and it's a poor move at the NCAA level as well. It's like they want to cover up for poor officiating.

As for the attendance, the University is making all the right moves. The student section, from what you have told me, is reasonably full. They've put the game times in the proper slot. The team is 3-1, with probably a better non-con schedule than what we had last year through the first four games. We've marketed all we can market. We're never going to get much better of a home schedule, with Michigan and Michigan State coming in twice. Let's face it. Boston College, Minnesota and Wisconsin aren't coming into Ewigleben anytime soon. We're doing the best with what we've got. The rest is on the community.

Last edited by Hammer; 10-18-2010, 09:04 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      You are correct. The referees did wear nameplates last year. To take those off is a poor move. It was a poor move when the NHL did so, and it's a poor move at the NCAA level as well. It's like they want to cover up for poor officiating.

As for the attendance, the University is making all the right moves. The student section, from what you have told me, is reasonably full. They've put the game times in the proper slot. The team is 3-1, with probably a better non-con schedule than what we had last year through the first four games. We've marketed all we can market. We're never going to get much better of a home schedule, with Michigan and Michigan State coming in twice. Let's face it. Boston College, Minnesota and Wisconsin aren't coming into Ewigleben anytime soon. We're doing the best with what we've got. The rest is on the community.

It's not like we won't recognize the stripes. That is unless Wilkins gets an even bigger helmet or Sergott shrinks.

Comment

Nice job so far with the solid start. It seems like we outplayed the other team even in the two losses we've had, and we certainly haven't "stolen" any, so that makes me feel pretty good about this team. Some of the upperclassmen that have flown undre the radar are stepping up, and it seems like the freshman can play. For now we just need to keep winning the games that we're supposed to win, and in a couple weeks see what we can do with the games that we aren't.

Comment

Whats a good place in Big Rapids to get a quick bite to eat after the game on Saturday??

I'm probably going to whip up a batch of pulled pork to have before the football game at 2, but I figure that between tailgating for football til 2 and then some hockey TG before the Ferris-OSU hockey game, I'll likely have that all consumed. Knowing some of the GVSU fans I know who love my pulled pork, it might not even last til 1 pm.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
            Whats a good place in Big Rapids to get a quick bite to eat after the game on Saturday??

I'm probably going to whip up a batch of pulled pork to have before the football game at 2, but I figure that between tailgating for football til 2 and then some hockey TG before the Ferris-OSU hockey game, I'll likely have that all consumed. Knowing some of the GVSU fans I know who love my pulled pork, it might not even last til 1 pm.
            I've never had a bad meal at Schuberg's downtown. I would encourage you to go there. Some of the best onion rings I've ever had. Szot's has really good burgers, too. If you're looking for chains, there is BW3 and Bennigan's on your way to 131.

Comment

Originally posted by SportsTalk51 View Post
              I've never had a bad meal at Schuberg's downtown. I would encourage you to go there. Some of the best onion rings I've ever had. Szot's has really good burgers, too. If you're looking for chains, there is BW3 and Bennigan's on your way to 131.
              Thanks for the advice. Just about got my Boston butt here ready for pulling. You're all welcomed to come over before the football game tomorrow. Just no stinking buckeyes though!
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Just about got my Boston butt here ready for pulling. You're all welcomed to come over before the football game tomorrow. Just no stinking buckeyes though!
                Any idea where you'll be. I might be up for stopping by.
                This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                  I believe most of us are shooting for the lot between the press box and the ice arena. Look for a couple of vehicles that have flags up on flagpoles, one of them should say "dismal dozen. I'll be the big guy in the black lakers football jersey with the number 74 on it.

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                    Bueller,

Be careful meeting up with any Grand Valley fans, they can be treacherous!

Comment

• Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

Ferris State Bulldogs vs. Ohio State Buckeyes
                      Friday, October 22nd, 2010 Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfYbWFzjoEg

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VfYbWFzjoEg?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VfYbWFzjoEg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Ferris State wins 2-1
                      Last edited by DominicHennig; 10-24-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

Tough weekend split. OSU just dominated the 3rd believe shots were something like 16-3 or around there. Although i was not a fan of the officiating for most of game 2, the pk needs a lot of work. After seeing the numbers teams like Michigan, and Miami are putting up the next 2 ferris opponents its going to be Key to limit the mistakes as seen over the weekend or else both Michigan, and Miami can put alot of pucks in the net. Luckily 3 out of those 4 games are at home. Maybe wishfull thinking here but how huge would it be to steal a game at yost? Heck Mercyhurst just about did it, and UNO did it last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by hanasoni View Post
                          Bueller,

Be careful meeting up with any Grand Valley fans, they can be treacherous!
                          Lies!!! All Lies!!!

Did enjoy my time up in Big Rapids Saturday. Do kinda wish that Security would have not forced people to fill in the rows of the parking lot at the football game. That, and maybe a few more porta potties around as well.

Was also kinda surprized at the lack of tailgating that was done for the hockey game. I would have thought I would have seen a few of the Dawg Pound out there pounding beers before the game. Overall, did love to see the energy that the students at Ferris brought to the game. You get the feeling that you're in a hostile enviroment right away with them. Pity that Ferris doesn't have a place where the students can do that for the football games anymore.

**** shame about that third period last nigh. God I hate Ohio State.

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ShootSnipeScore View Post
                            Maybe wishfull thinking here but how huge would it be to steal a game at yost? Heck Mercyhurst just about did it, and UNO did it last weekend.
                            It is certainly possible, especially if Michigan decides to just throw their sticks on the ice saturday. But, I suspect that it will also hinge on the type of game there is on Friday. Ewigleben has never been an easy place to play for Michigan, so the prospect of splitting a H&H is more likely, especially if Ferris wins friday.
                            Keep in mind, and this is not an excuse but a fact, that the Mercyhurst game was the first real action of the season. No organized practices were allowed prior to it (w/coaches) and typically the first game out of the chute is an exhibition game against watered down Canadian colleges. Mercyhurst earned their comeback tie as the Wolverines completely stopped playing and melted down in the last 25 minutes. Too many penalties, bench was shortened and the team was gassed. It was a bad collapse that I don't expect to see in its magnitude the rest of the season. Based on Mercyhurst's record since, I think it was an anomaly also. But, I saw it last year as well against an equally inept BG team, so this is nothing new.

I'd rather see the performance we saw this past saturday night against UNO. David Wohlberg scored :08 into the game (did it against BG two weeks ago at :11) to get them rolling. He's probably their best forward right now. Much better defensive game, save a spate of penalties in the second period. Hogan was sharp, although Ferris will probably see Hunwick in Big Rapids. (As a sidebar: UNO would challenge for a CCHA title this season if they chose to stay in the league. Blais has a hard skating, BIG, fast and talented team. Not saying that they would win it, but they'd be a top four team easily. They didn't steal the game friday, they dominated it, combined with a crap effort from Michigan.)

Can't say that this will be a CCHA induced penalty fest, but with these two teams it is possible. U-M took their share this past weekend, but held UNO to 2-9 on the PP, adding another 34 minutes to their NCAA leading total. They went 1-11 on the PP, with the one a meaningless goal to finish the scoring saturday. Much different than the 3 for 3 at UNH that saved their bacon.

So, I don't know what you'll get friday and saturday, but being that Michigan has run the spectrum on effort so far this season, anything is possible.

Comment

Some Sports Junkie guy thats popped up over on www.gvfootball.com went to Ferris this weekend, and blogged about his experiances in Big Rapids. I thought you guys might like to read them.

Ohio State at Ferris State

GVSU at Ferris

Also, CC to Hammer, guy also wants to go to Yost sometime, and I'm thinking about trying to get him to an Adrian game as well, perhaps.

It just happens.

Comment

Some Sports Junkie guy thats popped up over on www.gvfootball.com went to Ferris this weekend, and blogged about his experiances in Big Rapids. I thought you guys might like to read them.

Ohio State at Ferris State

GVSU at Ferris

Also, CC to Hammer, guy also wants to go to Yost sometime, and I'm thinking about trying to get him to an Adrian game as well, perhaps.
                                The stuff about the football game ripping the band, fake noise, and attendance is spot on. VERY disappointing. I would love to go on a rant about the football program, but this isn't the place for it.

Wish I could talk about hockey this weekend, but I missed both games (first time I've missed 2 consecutive home games in over 5 years). Was suppose to go Saturday, but didn't feel well after the football game. Really thought we would sweep OSU so I am bummed. Getting any points against Michigan next weekend would be a nice gift if you ask me...

Comment

Working...
                                X