Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

Actually, I think cheering the other team plays right into the hands of the administration. The irony of it all would zoom right over their head like a fighter jet.

Given who we had in our student section, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that we would have allowed this to happen. No way.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Re: Ferris State Hockey '10-11-Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the penalty

Like I stated before, this Notre Dame series in my mind will end up being the "final judgment." The administration seems to back down a bit for big games (Mainly because it's harder to control a full crowd) but I think they'll go all out.

It'll be an interesting weekend for many different reasons...

Comment

It's a shame this wasn't brought to this board two months ago. We could have gotten creative.

God, that was fun...

Comment

It's gotten worse as time went on. From what I understand, at the start of the year, both sides met and came to some concessions, and some chants were eliminated. (Some deserving, the "Goalie Name, Sucks D***",) with the university saying it was a fair compromise.

Slowly but surely, they've poked more and more. Everyone is too afraid of getting tossed or banned from games, no one wants to go to the student conduct office and deal with the crap they've threatened. So it's just slowly happened.

I was surprised how aggressive they were this weekend, a lot of the chants just fell flat and completely died, one because of a small crowd, and two, because no one wanted to get tossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            And bueller, again, it's up to the students to decide where this is headed. You know where I stand.

If they kill the student section, Ferris does not have a hockey program in 5-7 years.
            One thing that would really help the students out if one of the bigger boosters would come out being on the Students side here, and make it a point to tell em to chill out on the kids a little. Its Sports, not a library.

That, or perhaps have a few of the old guard invade the Students. Get in there and mix it up with some of the leaders. Regale them with stories, like "No Thumbs!" and other stuff as well, like perhaps tell em a few old cheers that you did back in the day. The cleaner versions of them perhaps, but the point here is to keep the kids cheering and roudy.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I haven't heard "ice cold beer" in months, for example.
              This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                I haven't heard "ice cold beer" in months, for example.
                That one is still around and allowed. It's usually used on powerplays.

Comment

That's poor.

The "sucks ----" chant was one of ours. So was 1-2-3-4. *shrug* I think we actually started the game with those two.

I wonder if the writer for the Pioneer is still reading this?

God, that was fun...

Comment

That's poor.

The "sucks ----" chant was one of ours. So was 1-2-3-4. *shrug* I think we actually started the game with those two.

I wonder if the writer for the Pioneer is still reading this?
                    You'll be proud to know I started those both at the Joe last year lol.

The ones they've been going after hard lately are the classic "Drop It" and the "Know Your Role" towards the goalie. Which is a shame, those are two of my personal favorites. They cut out some of the spelled chants too.

I wonder when they will decide that "S-E-X" and "C-O-N-D-O-M" are too dirty. Sigh.

Comment

And we're back.

Originally posted by I Want Shegos View Post
                      I wonder when they will decide that "S-E-X" and "C-O-N-D-O-M" are too dirty. Sigh.
                      Mark my words. Those are next.

Know-Your-Role must have arrived after I left. We did the Drop It-Thank You-Asshole as well.

Quick story. Our sophomore year (93-94) Blaine Lacher was in goal for Lake State. He got run over on a play at the net and didn't get up. The back-up goaltender's last name was Sass. We spent the remainder of the weekend entertaining ourselves with the chant of "SASS! SASS! TAKES IT IN THE ASS!" It was just about the only thing we had to keep our attention that weekend, as LSSU handed us our lunch both nights.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Quick story. Our sophomore year (93-94) Blaine Lacher was in goal for Lake State. He got run over on a play at the net and didn't get up. The back-up goaltender's last name was Sass. We spent the remainder of the weekend entertaining ourselves with the chant of "SASS! SASS! TAKES IT IN THE ASS!" It was just about the only thing we had to keep our attention that weekend, as LSSU handed us our lunch both nights.
                        I remember a UAF goalie giving the double bird in '96(?) and a "Fosters: Australian for Queer" sign when those ads were on TV and Western had a goalie by that name.
                        This space for sale.

Comment

They tried getting us to change the "*******" part to "moron," at any game with people it doesn't work. The last series though, it turned into "Thank you, (quiet grumbles)"

For know your role, when their goalie goes behind the net to play the puck, it's "Know Your Role, Stay In Your Hole, b****!" Which has been one they've been trying to kill all year. There was a half-movement from some to change it to "Stay in your hole, Sieve!" which leads to it sounding like "Sitch" on most nights.

Comment

For know your role, when their goalie goes behind the net to play the puck, it's "Know Your Role, Stay In Your Hole, b****!" Which has been one they've been trying to kill all year. There was a half-movement from some to change it to "Stay in your hole, Sieve!" which leads to it sounding like "Sitch" on most nights.
                            If they're going after that one, you're in bigger trouble than I thought.

Of course, the thing that will make them take notice is money. If people don't renew season tickets, that might get their attention. I remember years where the attendance of the UAH games this weekend was the norm. But they just don't get it.
                            You're on to something here, but I don't quite think you're looking in the right place. This popped into my head on the way home this evening. You don't go after ticketholders. You go after sponsors, especially those that do a good chunk of business with the student body. Someone is buying those ads on the boards. Some businesses are spending good advertising dollars on the program, and are quite happy to see students walk into their stores and restaurants. It's time to have a talk with them, and remind them that while students are very happy to visit their establishments, students can also vote with their wallets, too.

Again, it's up to the students and their resolve to do something. This battle can be won.
                            Last edited by Hammer; 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I'll see what happens and what I can do for the Notre Dame series. Indifference is the weapon of choice for the majority of the students there though, sadly. I'm not sure the majority of the people who go (the non-diehards) really care one way or another, I imagine most of them don't know what it used to be, or care.

And a lot of the people who've been around are going to be gone very shortly.

Comment

Ferris State vs. Notre Dame Series Preview:

Comment

Working...
                                X