This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten Hockey Conference

Well its finally happened. Penn State is set to announce the formation of a varsity hockey team. That will make six Big Ten schools that offer hockey. The only question is what Notre Dame does in everything other than football, a move out of the Big East would help most of their other sports, and is a natural choice in hockey...

Its the end of the world as we know it

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...12/psu_hockey/
    UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
    Well its finally happened. Penn State is set to announce the formation of a varsity hockey team. That will make six Big Ten schools that offer hockey. The only question is what Notre Dame does in everything other than football, a move out of the Big East would help most of their other sports, and is a natural choice in hockey...

The Big Ten just went to 12 teams they are not going to add a 13th team in any sport. Even if ND could opt out of playing Big 10 football and remain independent the rest of the Big Ten schools would not alow them to join without bringing the football money. ND had their chance.
    - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
    Go you Green and White
    Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight with all your might!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!
    We are here to cheer you
    We are out to win your fame,
    So, Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
      The Big Ten just went to 12 teams they are not going to add a 13th team in any sport. Even if ND could opt out of playing Big 10 football and remain independent the rest of the Big Ten schools would not alow them to join without bringing the football money. ND had their chance.
      I think with the football option on the table the door is always open for Notre Dame...
      UNH Wildcats

Comment

I think with the football option on the table the door is always open for Notre Dame...
        I put the chances of ND joining the Big Ten somewhere in the realm of Barak winning a second term and me dying, going to heaven, and finding Hitler in heaven. In other words it will never happen.

Go Bemidji Beavers
        Go you Green and White
        Go Bemidji Beavers
        Rah! Rah! Rah!
        We are here to cheer you
        So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

I was going to say the gophers making the NCAAs but what you said works too....

Comment

Notre Dame likes playing Catholic schools. It likes having its own rivalries in football that only an independent could manage like being able to play BC, USC, and a couple of the service academies every year. The only thing that could effect that is the future of the BE which will have its future decided at some point in next 12 months. Villanova might jump up to FBS football which might save the conference from splitting but we shall see. What will really decide the BEs future is if they are able to get at least one more school up to FBS level, get a better TV contract, and hope that the B10 or ACC does not do another raid on them.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
              I was going to say the gophers making the NCAAs but what you said works too....
              Mmmmmmm are we talking this year? or ever again ;-) I'd say would be right as long a Don is on the bench.....

Go Bemidji Beavers
              Go you Green and White
              Go Bemidji Beavers
              Rah! Rah! Rah!
              We are here to cheer you
              So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                Notre Dame likes playing Catholic schools. It likes having its own rivalries in football that only an independent could manage like being able to play BC, USC, and a couple of the service academies every year. The only thing that could effect that is the future of the BE which will have its future decided at some point in next 12 months. Villanova might jump up to FBS football which might save the conference from splitting but we shall see. What will really decide the BEs future is if they are able to get at least one more school up to FBS level, get a better TV contract, and hope that the B10 or ACC does not do another raid on them.
                If Villanova makes the jump expect UMass to do the same...
                UNH Wildcats

Comment

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gdJZhdi_-Tc?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gdJZhdi_-Tc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k1umrxqCB-w?fs=1&hl=en_US&start=69">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k1umrxqCB-w?fs=1&hl=en_US&start=69" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
                  Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

If Villanova makes the jump expect UMass to do the same...
                    With what money? They have a pretty small endowment. Do they have any rich alumni that would be willing to finance it? Also they might receive some heat since I'm sure BC would try hard to block any attempt for them to get state financing since they would not want to compete for recruits with them. Most importantly it would not be a guarantee that the BE would even have them.

Comment

Ok, so does this open the flood gates for everyother wannabe hockey school to also join now? How about other Big Ten schools such as Illinois who might be more apt to starting a team with the recent success of the Blackhawks?

Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Go you Green and White
                      Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Rah! Rah! Rah!
                      We are here to cheer you
                      So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

Ok, so does this open the flood gates for everyother wannabe hockey school to also join now? How about other Big Ten schools such as Illinois who might be more apt to starting a team with the recent success of the Blackhawks?
                        Not that one has anything to do with the other, but I'm wondering if Penn adds a varsity team now. They have an on campus rink and being an Ivy there's an obvious desire to have them. Plus Pennsylvania, specifically Philadelphia is becoming a real hot bed for minor hockey.
                        Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
                        2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

As much as we'd all like to pretend that NHL success (or even a renewed interest among the local bandwagon fanbase) would have ANYTHING to do with the possibility of college hockey around Chicago (or Champaign, in the case of Illinois)... that's just not the case. Pretty much all of the major players in Illinois (Illinois, NIU, Northwestern, DePaul, etc.) have the same problem that Penn State had until recently: lack of a suitable on-campus rink.

Penn is an interesting case, since they already have the rink (which wouldn't be the smallest in the Ivy League, mind you), yet hasn't really shown any signs of looking back after dismantling their program.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

So did the WCHA know in advance that this would happen and thus took 2 teams to help ease some of the pain of losing teams to the BTHC?
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                              So did the WCHA know in advance that this would happen and thus took 2 teams to help ease some of the pain of losing teams to the BTHC?
                              Good point, it wouldn't suprise me if they did. Now when and if Minnesota and Wisconsin leave the WCHA do they get replaced by potential up start programs such as MSU-Moorhead or possibly U-W Superior?

Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Go you Green and White
                              Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Rah! Rah! Rah!
                              We are here to cheer you
                              So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

Working...
                              X