X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football II: The BCS hits the Fan

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Anyone have the link to Jim Tressel's comments on Tuesday? I saw them briefly on ESPN but haven't seen them anywhere else. When winds hit Columbus he moved practice indoors and at a press conference said something to the effect of "It's not just about the players, I'm concerned about the film guy in a tower 50' off the ground." I'm not normally a fan of the Sweater Vest, but he gets kudos from me for not even putting his people in that position.
    While some comments on other boards etc. go pretty far in blaming ND or the coach for forcing the kid up there...which hasn't been reported as fact...I think the school is ultimately responsible for employees performing their job on campus but I think this is going to boil down to ND just not thinking. Who knows why Tressel thought about that scenario, maybe past experience, a proactive safety program...whatever...somebody at OSU was thinking about stuff that might not be obvious to the next person and as a school they made the right decision...ND, obviously nobody was thinking about this. I don't think it was a conscious decision but the facts may say otherwise...until then I'm thinking this is a terrible accident that with 20/20 hindsight looks like a huge mistake for which ND needs to take accountability.
    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

One day, an ACC officiating crew will actually call holding on an offensive line facing Florida State.

The next morning, the Rapture will begin and the trumpets will sound.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
        While some comments on other boards etc. go pretty far in blaming ND or the coach for forcing the kid up there...which hasn't been reported as fact...I think the school is ultimately responsible for employees performing their job on campus but I think this is going to boil down to ND just not thinking. Who knows why Tressel thought about that scenario, maybe past experience, a proactive safety program...whatever...somebody at OSU was thinking about stuff that might not be obvious to the next person and as a school they made the right decision...ND, obviously nobody was thinking about this. I don't think it was a conscious decision but the facts may say otherwise...until then I'm thinking this is a terrible accident that with 20/20 hindsight looks like a huge mistake for which ND needs to take accountability.
        I could see that. Kelly has the largest staff he's ever had or been around with, and simply might not have even known that they were going to send a kid up the scissor lift. Still, I think I see a lot of schools taking a look at installing Wavecam systems in a short order so that mistake will never happen at a school like ND or any of the bigtime programs.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

So people want to yank the Big East's AQ and the ACC teams continue to lay turds like that.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
            So people want to yank the Big East's AQ and the ACC teams continue to lay turds like that.
            Hey, I'm all for fairness.

Let's yank 'em both.

Comment

NCSU isn't bad. There will be worse losses on Saturday.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                One day, an ACC officiating crew will actually call holding on an offensive line facing Florida State.

The next morning, the Rapture will begin and the trumpets will sound.
                Speaking of holding.

Hold onto the ****ing football, Ponder. 6 turnovers in the last two games.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                  I could see that. Kelly has the largest staff he's ever had or been around with, and simply might not have even known that they were going to send a kid up the scissor lift. Still, I think I see a lot of schools taking a look at installing Wavecam systems in a short order so that mistake will never happen at a school like ND or any of the bigtime programs.
                  Can't say it is the same co but I've seen a recording system at soccer games where the guy telescopes a camera way up there and sits on the ground with a monitor and a control panel with joysticks to follow the action. Mostly wireless, certainly more portable and also safer...if that is Wavecam then this will be an unfortunate reason for people to change their habits and buy more of those systems.
                  I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                    Can't say it is the same co but I've seen a recording system at soccer games where the guy telescopes a camera way up there and sits on the ground with a monitor and a control panel with joysticks to follow the action. Mostly wireless, certainly more portable and also safer...if that is Wavecam then this will be an unfortunate reason for people to change their habits and buy more of those systems.
                    I don't think that's going to mean the end of scissor lifts, though. A lot of coaches like to get up there and watch from above with their own eyes from time to time, too. The key is using the lifts safely and within the operating parameters.
                    "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Huh. Anyone else notice that we've been over 1,000 posts on this thread for about a day now?

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        Huh. Anyone else notice that we've been over 1,000 posts on this thread for about a day now?
                        Yeah, the automatic threadlock at 1,000 posts didn't seem to make the transition to the new board.

So, we can keep going here or someone with a witty title in mind can start a new thread...
                        "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Working...
                        X