Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hockey major?

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    Then go to the cafe and start that thread there...where it belongs.

Jeez man, what part of this are you struggling with?

And if that's what you wanted to know, why isn't that what you named the thread, or asked in the opening post...

I started this thread with the assumptions that selecting a course of study precedes a college degree, and that college graduates are more successful than most other groups in the population. I did not mention college drop-outs for fear of an causing an epidemic of apoplexy among lurkers. I like to hear success stories, and I think many fans would be proud to relate the (non-hockey) successes of former players for their team.
    There are many posters, some of them parents, who view hockey players as one-dimensional individuals: hockey players. You can see a few of them (and their children) at every youth hockey game and on this site: "How dare you discuss academics and athletics?" "Why on earth would anyone be interested in what happens to hockey players after they stop playing? A discussion about life during and after hockey would be good for the kids, even though it might confuse and infuriate their parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      There are many posters, some of them parents, who view hockey players as one-dimensional individuals: hockey players.
      Not you though, you see them as quality student athletes...

... college hockey programs which, to build winning records, rely upon scholarships to recruit hockey players with questionable academic credentials, academic aspirations, and academic performance.
      But you only care about what majors they choose purely for curiousity, and you only care to hear about success stories because it warms your heart...
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        Now, now. I've meet my fair share of Cornell fans, and they've been great. Except jmh, he's kind of a jerk. But, I chalk that up to him being from Jersey.
        Hey, I'm from Jersey too.......small world.
        Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
        I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
          Hey, I'm from Jersey too.......small world.
          Cornellians from Jersey? Go figure - I thought all y'all who talked funny were from Long Island...

(Tennessee boy here)
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Not you though, you see them as quality student athletes...

But you only care about what majors they choose purely for curiousity, and you only care to hear about success stories because it warms your heart...
            I have suspended mention of sleazy recruiting and scholarship practices by college hockey programs. Such talk puts college hockey zealots in a frenzy which could result in a fatal attack of apoplexy and criminal charges.

Inviting examples of academic success by hockey players and successful careers by former hockey players is met with a gratuitous chorus of "We don't care so shut up." and "You're only asking because you hate hockey and hockey players." I don't follow the logic or the ESP here?

Posts by zealous hockey fans show they fear the recognition of academic excellence in individual players and the benefits of hockey programs besides preparing for a professional hockey career. That recognition must accept that if there is academic success by some hockey players there must be academic failure by others and the hockey programs which advance the careers of the majority of college players are probably superior to programs which attempt little more than to prepare a tiny minority of players for a pro career, and by doing so achieving trophies. College hockey fanatics even refuse to recognize the increasing competition between college hockey and major junior hockey for this tiny minority of players or admit the changes this competition is creating in the recruitment and academic expectations of "franchise players."

Let the denials begin!

Comment

I have suspended mention of sleazy recruiting and scholarship practices by college hockey programs. Such talk puts college hockey zealots in a frenzy which could result in a fatal attack of apoplexy and criminal charges.

Inviting examples of academic success by hockey players and successful careers by former hockey players is met with a gratuitous chorus of "We don't care so shut up." and "You're only asking because you hate hockey and hockey players." I don't follow the logic or the ESP here?

Posts by zealous hockey fans show they fear the recognition of academic excellence in individual players and the benefits of hockey programs besides preparing for a professional hockey career. That recognition must accept that if there is academic success by some hockey players there must be academic failure by others and the hockey programs which advance the careers of the majority of college players are probably superior to programs which attempt little more than to prepare a tiny minority of players for a pro career, and by doing so achieving trophies. College hockey fanatics even refuse to recognize the increasing competition between college hockey and major junior hockey for this tiny minority of players or admit the changes this competition is creating in the recruitment and academic expectations of "franchise players."

Let the denials begin!
              In Minnesota, local kids often go to local schools, and when their hockey careers are over, they typical move back into the area, and then contribute to the local economy by getting good jobs with the degree they earned in college. now, that might not work out for the schools who bring in Canadians, but that is how it works here.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204974070
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

That recognition must accept that if there is academic success by some hockey players there must be academic failure by others and the hockey programs which advance the careers of the majority of college players are probably superior to programs which attempt little more than to prepare a tiny minority of players for a pro career, and by doing so achieving trophies.

Ahhh the basis of your posts....

Comment

Ahhh the basis of your posts....
                  Nope. You got It backward. It's my theory of the basis for YOUR posts. Can anyone explain why some disputatious posters haunt this thread but claim to have no interest in the academic success of college hockey players and no interest in the successful careers of former college hockey players? It is quite odd that these people constantly return to kvetch about a thread which they claim to be trivial and of no interest to hockey fans, particularly when the subject of this thread seemed pretty clear, at least before the accusations and recriminations began. This manger appears to be infested by a whole pack of dogs.

Comment

Nope. You got It backward. It's my theory of the basis for YOUR posts. Can anyone explain why some disputatious posters haunt this thread but claim to have no interest in the academic success of college hockey players and no interest in the successful careers of former college hockey players? It is quite odd that these people constantly return to kvetch about a thread which they claim to be trivial and of no interest to hockey fans, particularly when the subject of this thread seemed pretty clear, at least before the accusations and recriminations began. This manger appears to be infested by a whole pack of dogs.
                    Better to run with the pack of dogs than to be the chew toy that you seem to be.

But in about 36 days, most of us will be done with such drivel as our beloved teams take to the ice for their exhibitions. The Ivy league posters might sill play with you though since they start later than the rest of the league due to conference rules.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      Better to run with the pack of dogs than to be the chew toy that you seem to be.

But in about 36 days, most of us will be done with such drivel as our beloved teams take to the ice for their exhibitions. The Ivy league posters might sill play with you though since they start later than the rest of the league due to conference rules.
                      Pip pip, jolly good komey. You will be able to revel in those aspects of college hockey which delight you rather than troll around badmouthing threads about college hockey which you claim are trivial and in which you claim to have no interest - although you look them up, scroll through many posts, read, and spend time and effort replying [all derogatory].
                      Would you be shocked when "your beloved teams" [presumably not Ivy League] take to the ice and someone labels your discussions about them as "drivel" and insults you for your interest? I'm betting you would be outraged - that you're one of those one-way **ers.

Comment

rather than troll around badmouthing threads about college hockey
                        When did this thread actually turn into a discussion about college hockey?

Kill yourself.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          Kill yourself.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            When did this thread actually turn into a discussion about college hockey?

Kill yourself.
                            Another dog in the manger. "I don't like what you're talking about so you should kill yourself." You're a bit of an egotist, eh?

"College hockey" is an amalgam of "college" (an academic institution) and "hockey" (a competition on ice). Dismissing the "college" (academic) component of college hockey is equivalent to dismissing the "hockey" (competition) component of college hockey. ["College" even gets top billing in "college hockey."]

So people talk about things you don't want to talk about and say things you don't want them to say, huh? Tough. Get over it. Chances are there will never be a college hockey dictator.

Comment

Another dog in the manger. "I don't like what you're talking about so you should kill yourself." You're a bit of an egotist, eh?

"College hockey" is an amalgam of "college" (an academic institution) and "hockey" (a competition on ice). Dismissing the "college" (academic) component of college hockey is equivalent to dismissing the "hockey" (competition) component of college hockey. ["College" even gets top billing in "college hockey."]

So people talk about things you don't want to talk about and say things you don't want them to say, huh? Tough. Get over it. Chances are there will never be a college hockey dictator.
                              Still trying to figure a way to split that into two nouns huh?

Comment

Chances are there will never be a college hockey dictator.
                                I wouldn't be so sure about that!
                                Originally posted by vizoroo
                                Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                                Originally posted by duper
                                I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                                Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                                Originally posted by dggoddard
                                Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X