Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hockey major?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Posters post about college hockey 99% of the time? What website are you reading?
    What I actually wrote was that posters discuss hockey 99% of the time. This is quite different than the incorrect quote you attribute to me. You got it wrong. Check and see. Perhaps you confused this with another website.

For one thing, a significant part of this 99% devoted to discussing hockey is devoted to discussing the relationship between college hockey and professional hockey. The other 1% is devoted to nicknames, mascots, buildings, and various quibbles but NOT to how college hockey programs help or hinder the mission of colleges: education. Do you suppose hockey programs should trump educational expectations in colleges, or should hockey programs exist to promote and facilitate college education? If the latter, then there's good reason to talk about it and celebrate individual successes. If the former, then it's easy to understand efforts to stifle discussion about the relationship between college hockey programs and academic achievement.

What in blazes is wrong with asking about the educational interests and goals of a group of students, or celebrating their ability to excell in both academics and athletics?

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      What I actually wrote was that posters discuss hockey 99% of the time. This is quite different than the incorrect quote you attribute to me. You got it wrong. Check and see. Perhaps you confused this with another website.

For one thing, a significant part of this 99% devoted to discussing hockey is devoted to discussing the relationship between college hockey and professional hockey. The other 1% is devoted to nicknames, mascots, buildings, and various quibbles but NOT to how college hockey programs help or hinder the mission of colleges: education. Do you suppose hockey programs should trump educational expectations in colleges, or should hockey programs exist to promote and facilitate college education? If the latter, then there's good reason to talk about it and celebrate individual successes. If the former, then it's easy to understand efforts to stifle discussion about the relationship between college hockey programs and academic achievement.

What in blazes is wrong with asking about the educational interests and goals of a group of students, or celebrating their ability to excell in both academics and athletics?
      Seriously, you are delusional if you think 99% of posts are about hockey.
      Its more like:
      40% hockey
      60% mascots, inside jokes, flame wars, lewd comments, thinking up new sexual positions, general non-hockey conversation, etc.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Seems like most UMD players are business majors.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Did I miss something here or is someone getting butt hurt over nothing?
          Originally posted by vizoroo
          Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
          Originally posted by duper
          I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
          Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
          Originally posted by dggoddard
          Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

For one thing, a significant part of this 99% devoted to discussing hockey is devoted to discussing the relationship between college hockey and professional hockey.
            Wrong - unless you are using this off season as your first foray into this thread. During the off-season, it is MUCH more common to discuss who moved on to pros and some discussion of what can be done to recruit the best hockey players to play college. During the season, more emphasis is placed on rankings, upcoming matchups, and playoff implications.

The other 1% is devoted to nicknames, mascots, buildings, and various quibbles but NOT to how college hockey programs help or hinder the mission of colleges: education.
            Have you considered that many of the posters here are students and/or alumni that really cannot do much if anything about this? I also don't know what that statement even means. Are you refering to the college experience? What hockey programs teach? I don't see how hockey could hinder the mission of the colleges themselves at all. The students get an opportunity to play hockey and go to school - what could be wrong about that unless the individual screws up.

Do you suppose hockey programs should trump educational expectations in colleges, or should hockey programs exist to promote and facilitate college education? If the latter, then there's good reason to talk about it and celebrate individual successes. If the former, then it's easy to understand efforts to stifle discussion about the relationship between college hockey programs and academic achievement.
            What exactly is the relationship? Many of us have already shown proof that in general, hockey players perform at or better than the general public. Yes, we don't discuss that much, because from a hockey perspective, that and $1 gets you something from the McDonalds Extra Value Menu. RIT had the player with the best GPA of any player at the Frozen Four. They got beat 8-1 by Wisconsin. What is more relevant on a hockey message board?

Nothing is wrong with that. But bringing up a problem that currently does not exist is wrong. You seem to have it in your head that most hockey players are there to go pro and cannot do the work simply because the NCAA standards (NOTE - note the individual university standards) are a sliding scale of GPA and SAT scores. When you take all the reports that are provided by the NCAA, you simply find that it is not the case.

The successes in the classroom don't always equate to success on the ice. I'm sure Michigan Tech has some fine students playing hockey. But their hockey team is one of the worst in their conference. You don't get a trophy for being good students. It's great that there are FAR more successes than failures.

The bottom line is that the majority of us really don't care how they perform academically until a player becomes ineligible. I don't go to a calculus class to root on my favorite engineers. I go to a hockey rink to watch my favorite team. However, I know that the higher ups at my alma mater consider academics when recruiting players, so there is little to worry about. I know of players who have been suspended academically in the past. I know that if there is a problem it will be taken care of the right way. I believe that is the case with nearly every, if not all, college hockey teams.

I conclude with this simple phrase:

Is it October yet?
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Kinesiology, economics, applied economics and communications seemed to account for over half of the majors of the hockey players when I was in Ithaca ('88-'92) and Ann Arbor ('95-'97). I was impressed to see some engineering and pre-med type degrees as well.

Not sure if the major concentrations are still the same. Glancing at Cornell's roster, they only disclose the college that the player is enrolled in, but I see a fair number of College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (Applied Economics/Business, Communications) and College of Arts and Sciences (could be many things, including Econ). Glancing at Michigan, there are a few Kinesiology, Psychology, History and General Studies majors.
              Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
              I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

UMass has a lot of players who major in business or psychology. A few years back it seemed like more than half of the team were sport management majors, but that number has gone down in recent years.
                Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  To break it down further, this thread is for MEN'S Division 1 Hockey.

According to Osorojo, we should discuss Men, College and Hockey equally...don't think that's going to happen
                  Well if Osorojo is correct, I'm heading over to the Women's college hockey forum. And pray that he doesn't follow over there discussing the majors for the women hockey players...
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    Well if Osorojo is correct, I'm heading over to the Women's college hockey forum. And pray that he doesn't follow over there discussing the majors for the women hockey players...
                    Don't go over there, for your own sanity.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      There are more straw men being created here than in every cornfield in Iowa.

Facts are stubborn things. They remain facts even if you don't care for them. It is a fact that a tiny percentage of college hockey players make a career out of hockey, but most choose a career related to their major course of study in college. It is a fact that, for better or worse, there is always an interaction between academic programs and athletic programs in colleges. [These facts apply to both women's and men's athletic programs.] It is a fact that for the vast majority of college hockey players their academic success will greatly outweigh the importance of their athletic success.

It seems that stating these facts and discussing them makes some putative college hockey fans uncomfortable. Too bad.

Comment

There are more straw men being created here than in every cornfield in Iowa.

Facts are stubborn things. They remain facts even if you don't care for them. It is a fact that a tiny percentage of college hockey players make a career out of hockey, but most choose a career related to their major course of study in college. It is a fact that, for better or worse, there is always an interaction between academic programs and athletic programs in colleges. [These facts apply to both women's and men's athletic programs.] It is a fact that for the vast majority of college hockey players their academic success will greatly outweigh the importance of their athletic success.

It seems that stating these facts and discussing them makes some putative college hockey fans uncomfortable. Too bad.
                        Your comment about their academic success is more important than their hockey success is I would venture to be very accurate. The problem is that you seem to be indicate that there is a problem someplace, and nobody else is seeing it. So What exactly IS your point? That we don't care about the academic success of the players?
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                          Your comment about their academic success is more important than their hockey success is I would venture to be very accurate. The problem is that you seem to be indicate that there is a problem someplace, and nobody else is seeing it. So What exactly IS your point? That we don't care about the academic success of the players?
                          His problem is that we are not using a college hockey forum to talk about a player's studies, but rather to talk about their playing of college hockey.

I give up. *presses the button* Deal.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            I started this thread with no "problem" in mind, but a curiosity about the academic careers of college hockey players at various institutions. At first several posters commented on the academic aspirations and achievements of their favorite teams and players. No problem here, quite the opposite. It's great to hear about hockey players who are successful in both athletics and academics, and great to hear about the hockey programs which attract and nurture student athletes.
                            It wasn't long before I was accused of starting this thread in order to attack college hockey because I "think" all the players are dummies. Look back and see. I did have a problem with this lousy job of mind reading and scurrilous attack on my motives. I predicted that the great majority of college hockey players will rely upon their mental (academic) skills than their athletic (hockey) skills in their careers, so more discussion of the contributions of hockey programs to academic achievement would be welcome. More mind-reading and straw-man whupping quickly followed. Look back and see, and decide who owns the problem.

Comment

Looking back - at least one other thread that you started had the same kind of motives. Give it up gramps
                              Originally posted by vizoroo
                              Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                              I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                              Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                              Originally posted by dggoddard
                              Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ja06DJrFe5E?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ja06DJrFe5E?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X