hockey major?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hockey major?

At some schools such as Clarkson, RIT, and RPI, the course of study chosen by hockey players seems clear, but other schools are tougher to figure. What is the most common major chosen by hockey players at the school you root for, or is there no clear preference?

Re: hockey major?

I'm sure that all depends on what the school has to offer. Here at Bemidji State there is a pretty popular nursing school, so some of the past players have actually studied nursing while playing college hockey. I'd say the most popular major among college players is Business or Accounting.
    Great moments...are born from great opportunity.
    THIS IS BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      At some schools such as Clarkson, RIT, and RPI, the course of study chosen by hockey players seems clear, but other schools are tougher to figure. What is the most common major chosen by hockey players at the school you root for, or is there no clear preference?
      How to spend your NHL signing bonus on fast women & fast cars in the fastest way possible.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Sociology is the common choice for many hockey players and is probably the most popular major among all varsity athletes at Princeton. However, I have known hockey players to major in almost anything including Mechanical Engineering. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to play hockey... but you can be if you want to!
        MAKE HOBEY PROUD!

"If there really is a hoop heaven, the house band would be Princeton's, troubadours in straw hats who played the theme from "Underdog" late in the Tigers' victory."
        - Sports Illustrated 3/25/96
        "We have 7 national championships. Who's ever heard of you guys?"
        -Drunk NoDak Fan at 2008 Midwest Regional

Comment

Among Notre Dame's last 2 graduating classes and this year's current one, there were/are at least 10 different majors, with the most common being psychology and finance. Freshmen enroll under the First Year of Studies, and many of the sophomores don't declare a final course of study but are in the Mendoza College of Business where they may end up majoring in Marketing, Finance, Accountancy, or Management.

Many in the two most recent classes pursued double-majors, and among my favorites were Erik Condra, with degrees in Psychology and Pre-Med and Jordan Pearce, with degrees in Anthropology and Pre-med.

Comment

I know at Michigan, a lot of the players major in business, kinesiology, psych, and poli sci. We have had a few pre meds and laws go through too.

Comment

About 85 or 90% of The University Denver's players choose to major in DU's Daniels College of Business, with concentrations usually ranging from finance, to marketing, to real estate/construction management. About 60% of all of DU undergrad students are in the business school - it's not easy, but it's not onerous, either. There are always a few liberal arts majors among hockey players, and a communications major here and there.

Comment

Most RPI hockey players major in Management, and it has been that way at least since I was at RPI (64-74). Suprisingly, the number of players majoring in some sort of Engineering seems to be increasing.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

When I was a student, most of the hockey players at UAH (most of the student-athletes, period) majored in various business programs. We had a couple of nursing majors, a couple of hard science majors, and a couple of engineering majors.
                  UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                  2006 Time Person of the Year
                  Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                  It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

I would say Business and Social science majors are probably the most common. Sport Management majors are popular among many hockey players and athletes at schools that offer those majors.

Comment

Originally posted by PUBand09 View Post
                      However, I have known hockey players to major in almost anything including Mechanical Engineering.
                      I know a couple of Lowell's frenchmen (early 2000s) were engineering majors. Lowell had one of their recent goaltenders start in engineering, but I don't think it worked out.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                        At some schools such as Clarkson, RIT, and RPI, the course of study chosen by hockey players seems clear
                        I'm not sure what you mean. What is more clear about their courses of study at these schools than at other schools?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                          I'm not sure what you mean. What is more clear about their courses of study at these schools than at other schools?

Powers &8^]
                          They're all engineering schools?

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
                            The gross generalization is that we have nothing but management majors. As RB pointed out, we have engineering majors (mostly civil, but a couple of others thrown in there), and our captain two years back was a pre-med.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              The gross generalization is that we have nothing but management majors. As RB pointed out, we have engineering majors (mostly civil, but a couple of others thrown in there), and our captain two years back was a pre-med.
                              Its hard to pin down what is most popular with students but its safe to say that a lot of students make sure they take courses that allow them the flexibility to remain mentally prepared for the rigours of the hockey program they are in.

Comment

Working...
                              X