Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Excellent Interview with Don Lucia

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
    Im gonna have to read the article again . It must be really obvious and Im not seeing it
    No, you're reading it right. He wants Lucia to be a whiner so bad that's all he can see.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
      I havent understood alot of the posts that say Don was whining and making excuses I thought he was pretty matter of fact thruout the whole deal. But a large chunk of the UND SCSU people posting here are responding like he was on soap box whining and Wodon was just handing him softballs. Most of these coaches are pretty rational guys
      If by large chunk you mean cg_siouxfan then yes I agree with the large chunk of UND fans, tDon has forgotten more hockey than cg_siouxfan will ever see.

The Wodon interview was well written and I don't think but maybe one question was served up for a homerun for tDon, the rest he answered IMO honestly and directly.
      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
      Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
      The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        Wodon is the best college hockey journalist in the country, IMHO. He writes fairly and is the best connected writer at a national level. That said, College hockey media simply can't behave like big media - like Tony Kornheiser or Mike Lupica and rip people left and right just to entertain. If Adam thinks someone is worth ripping, he will.

The college hockey world is small, and the pay and power of the media who cover it is low (or in some cases volunteer). They rarely bite the hand that feeds them, and for good reasons - 1) they need cooperation from the key people and 2) most of the people in college hockey are really good people and don't need to be bitten or ripped.
        Ahem, ahem..........a better sports reporter than Awahhhhnna Rizzo?
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
          If by large chunk you mean cg_siouxfan then yes I agree with the large chunk of UND fans, tDon has forgotten more hockey than cg_siouxfan will ever see.

The Wodon interview was well written and I don't think but maybe one question was served up for a homerun for tDon, the rest he answered IMO honestly and directly.
          I thought so too. I think most of these coaches are good guys and trying hard to do a tough job and all of us experts can speculate but we couldnt do the job any better

Comment

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
            And some DU fans, and some BC fans, and some BU fans, and some NHL people...
            Haven't seen a single BC/BU fan on here say anything close to what you're talking about.

If you read this thread there are a lot of people that disagree with Wodon's conclusions. Gopher fans are the ones that can't discuss it rationally.
            And you call your posts rational?

Comment

It's interesting how these informative stories about the struggles of being an NCAA Division I men's hockey coach always come out after the Gophers lose a player. You didn't have a similar outcry from Dave Hakstol when David Toews left the Sioux this summer. Is it because the Sioux coaching staff did a better job of managing their team, so it wasn't a devastating loss? BC and BU fans have made the same argument about their teams ability to have success.

It's really too bad most of you people can't accept that people have different opinions and there are two sides to every situation.

Comment

More whining and excuses from Lucia. And most of the Minnesota fans STILL eat it up.

Waaah, the internetz are stupid!

the game is changing, it's not like back in my day!

I tell you, kids these days!

He sounds more like a bitter fan, than a head coach. The article, as a whole, sounded like two Gopher fans sitting at the bar, thanks to Wodon.

Everybody wants an easy answer. Maybe if every player(and coach) worked a little harder, the Gophers wouldn't be such suckwads. That might be the easy answer that you all are looking for.
                But no, its always somebody else's fault with the Gophers: The NHL, Garth Snow, fate, anti-Gopherism, prima donnas, Hill, the new CBA, the internet, etc.
                Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                I think Adam Wodon has a crush on The Don.
                Go cry about it, you big puh-C. That's what your hero Don Lucia does when things aren't going his way.
                It's interesting how these informative stories about the struggles of being an NCAA Division I men's hockey coach always come out after the Gophers lose a player. You didn't have a similar outcry from Dave Hakstol when David Toews left the Sioux this summer. Is it because the Sioux coaching staff did a better job of managing their team, so it wasn't a devastating loss? BC and BU fans have made the same argument about their teams ability to have success.

It's really too bad most of you people can't accept that people have different opinions and there are two sides to every situation.
                Yep, lots of rational discussion here in these posts.

Comment

How do you know Wodon didn't contact Lucia looking for an interview? More props to Lucia for answering truthfully. And David Toews, a whopping four goals as a sophomore, doesn't exactly equate to a Kyle Okposo leaving DURING a season.

I will say that Lucia may have to change his recruiting philosophy to try and match what Jerry York has tried to do at BC, but that's up to him.

This coming from the one who rolled his eyes at Wodon's opinion.

Comment

Good lord you dont quit do you ? Yep the whole thing was about the Gophers losing players . How do you know that he didnt try and talk to other coaches first ? He was one of many coaches that have lost players in the last few years. Why dont you write USCHO and complain and then they can talk to Hakstol about any of the other stories concerning college hockey and then you will feel better

Comment

I think its fair to say that the culture of Minnesota hockey has changed a bit, somewhat.

Gopher Hockey once represented the pinnacle of desire for the high end Minnesota High School player, with maybe an Olympic team or a pro career as icing on the cake after a Gophers' career. Sure, some Gophers left early and some made the pros, but being a Gopher really represented the top of the Minnesota development system - grow up, play hockey in your town, be the high school star, then play for the Gophers and see what happens.

In recent years, The Gophers' success at producing NHL players has changed the goalposts. High end prospects growing up in Minnesota now view the the NHL as the end game much like a Canadian prospect does. The Gophers are now much more of stepping stone than an end in itself. Few Gopher players go from HS to the Gophers in wide-eyed admiration for the opportunity to play for their home state - they now play HS, then play junior somehere else, and they see hockey as a business and by the time they arrive on campus at the U, the agents and NHL are waiting for them. These guys are thinking about paychecks and payoffs and the Maroon and Gold are mostly a stepping stone for that.

I think the other WCHA programs don't have as strong of a home state pride factor vortex, and they have been viewed as pro stepping stones for a longer time, and were faster adjusting to this reality.

Comment

My posts are rational, aren't they? Why else would Wodon get his knickers in such a twist over people's criticism of The Don? It has to be a crush. Adam is simply infatuated with Lucia like a 12 year old schoolgirl with Twilight. There really is no other explanation.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I think its fair to say that the culture of Minnesota hockey has changed a bit, somewhat.

Gopher Hockey once represented the pinnacle of desire for the high end Minnesota High School player, with maybe an Olympic team or a pro career as icing on the cake after a Gophers' career. Sure, some Gophers left early and some made the pros, but being a Gopher really represented the top of the Minnesota development system - grow up, play hockey in your town, be the high school star, then play for the Gophers and see what happens.

In recent years, The Gophers' success at producing NHL players has changed the goalposts. High end prospects growing up in Minnesota now view the the NHL as the end game much like a Canadian prospect does. The Gophers are now much more of stepping stone than an end in itself. Few Gopher players go from HS to the Gophers in wide-eyed admiration for the opportunity to play for their home state - they now play HS, then play junior somehere else, and they see hockey as a business and by the time they arrive on campus at the U, the agents and NHL are waiting for them. These guys are thinking about paychecks and payoffs and the Maroon and Gold are mostly a stepping stone for that.

I think the other WCHA programs don't have as strong of a home state pride factor vortex, and they have been viewed as pro stepping stones for a longer time, and were faster adjusting to this reality.
                          Nice post Swami I agree

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            It's clear this person has no reading comprehension whatsoever.
                            Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                            Simpletons like your self seem to be produced in mass numbers in the Grand Forks area. Laugh it up dirty UND.

I am quickly loosing patience with the arrogance of many UND fans. News flash for you….you live in the ***** crack of America. Get over yourselves and try to act civilized when you follow your team.
                            Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            No, we don't play teams with racist mascots.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            While other coaches are complete class acts and only give the finger to the game officials.

You make siouxinminny look smart.
                            Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                            The internet has truly been a blessing to people like cg_siouxfan & Goon. Now they can achieve social interaction from the comfort of their mother’s basement.
                            Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            you simply can't take Minnesota getting any attention at all .
                            Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                            None of it does and you are correct he can't handle any kind of Gopher press and he probably had to go curl up in the corner with his thumb in his mouth after reading it.
                            Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                            His thumb was in his mouth and his head was undoubtedly up his ***.
                            Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            Most other posters have been able to discuss the issues raised rationally.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            He wants Lucia to be a whiner so bad that's all he can see.

Hey I can quote people out of context too! Yippee

Comment

Wodon is the best college hockey journalist in the country, IMHO. He writes fairly and is the best connected writer at a national level. That said, College hockey media simply can't behave like big media - like Tony Kornheiser or Mike Lupica and rip people left and right just to entertain. If Adam thinks someone is worth ripping, he will.

The college hockey world is small, and the pay and power of the media who cover it is low (or in some cases volunteer). They rarely bite the hand that feeds them, and for good reasons - 1) they need cooperation from the key people and 2) most of the people in college hockey are really good people and don't need to be bitten or ripped.
                              he loves our sport and knows that we love it just as much as he does. when he was writing here he made mistakes on two articles/columns. i emailed him and he replied back "stupid mistake" and edited the pieces.

he is not above his audience. doesn't blame 'editors'. steps up.

and honestly i welcome any person who can come in and give me information or a view on this sport that i wouldn't get otherwise. heck, i even enjoy hokydad!
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Hey I can quote people out of context too! Yippee
                                Something about a blind squirrel and a nut comes to mind...

Comment

Working...
                                X