Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Excellent Interview with Don Lucia

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
    More whining and excuses from Lucia. And most of the Minnesota fans STILL eat it up.

Waaah, the internetz are stupid!

the game is changing, it's not like back in my day!

I tell you, kids these days!

He sounds more like a bitter fan, than a head coach. The article, as a whole, sounded like two Gopher fans sitting at the bar, thanks to Wodon.

Everybody wants an easy answer. Maybe if every player(and coach) worked a little harder, the Gophers wouldn't be such suckwads. That might be the easy answer that you all are looking for.
    But no, its always somebody else's fault with the Gophers: The NHL, Garth Snow, fate, anti-Gopherism, prima donnas, Hill, the new CBA, the internet, etc.
    I weep for the state of education in this country. It's clear this person has no reading comprehension whatsoever.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Most "high end" players bound for the NHL who choose College hockey over Major Junior, usually take out an insurance policy through the NCAA. This protects them should they have a career-ending injury while playing in College.
      Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Most hockey players actually don't get the coverage, due to the cost of the premiums. Only a handful do, according to this article. You must be projected to be a top 3 round pick just to apply...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ood_hands.html

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          Denver goalie Wade Dubielewicz is another player who may have stayed in college too long. He turned down millions in NHL money to go pro after his all-American Junior season (.943 svs% 1.72 GAA), where he would have likely been high up in some offering NHL team's plan. His senior year at DU, he got hurt, and while he played ok (.912 svs, 2.43 GAA), he was not an all-American again, and he was only offered a lower level pro deal and has been a marginal pro ever since - AHL, NHL backup, KHL, etc.
          Dubie may have made more money - initially - by leaving a year earlier ... but I think the issue at hand here is whether his CAREER would've been different. I'd say no. He wouldn't have been a *better goalie* had he left school a year early ... and in the long run, he wouldn't have panned out either.

Initial signing money - vs. long-term career = two different things.

Comment

I don't see Lucia begrudging kids leaving early. ... I think the issue is whether doing so, helps their career long-term. Which would ultimately make them more money - again, in the long term. So, in other words, they are NOT leaving for better opportunities ... because it's hurting them. This is the case with 90% of the kids who leave early, in my opinion - especially those, like OB, who go to Major Junior because they aren't playing top line in college.

It's not whining to point out that things have changed. I think Donny got caught with his pants down about it, and is trying to recover. We'll see if it works.

Comment

More whining and excuses from Lucia. And most of the Minnesota fans STILL eat it up.

He sounds more like a bitter fan, than a head coach. The article, as a whole, sounded like two Gopher fans sitting at the bar, thanks to Wodon.

Everybody wants an easy answer. Maybe if every player(and coach) worked a little harder, the Gophers wouldn't be such suckwads. That might be the easy answer that you all are looking for.
              But no, its always somebody else's fault with the Gophers: The NHL, Garth Snow, fate, anti-Gopherism, prima donnas, Hill, the new CBA, the internet, etc.
              I guess it would be a whole lot better to have a coach who never wins a national championship, that way he would never have to be questioned about the down years. like und.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                As Bill Guerin so eloquently stated...." I have the rest of my life to earn a college degree but only a short time to play in the NHL"
                It's a fair point, but it's worth noting that the guy has been in the league since 91-92 and he's still playing.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Simpletons like your self seem to be produced in mass numbers in the Grand Forks area. Laugh it up dirty UND. What goes around comes around. Anyone who thinks their program is immune to the types of struggles the Gophers have experienced in recent years is out of touch with what is going on in college hockey.

While I am by no means a Gopher fan, I am a college hockey fan. A strong Gopher program is good for college hockey and the WCHA.
                  I am quickly loosing patience with the arrogance of many UND fans. News flash for you….you live in the ***** crack of America. Get over yourselves and try to act civilized when you follow your team.

I have met decent fans from UND. But I wish that was a more frequent experience.

Good Luck to the Gophers this year. I will be cheering for your team except for two games my team faces you. Hopefully the low expectations of you critics will allow your young players to play with an edge and rise above.

Comment

If I understood Lucia correctly, he wants a rule where if a guy wants to leave early, but doesn't make the NHL roster...they couldn't be sent to the AHL. That player would then be allowed to go back to college. Is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      If I understood Lucia correctly, he wants a rule where if a guy wants to leave early, but doesn't make the NHL roster...they couldn't be sent to the AHL. That player would then be allowed to go back to college. Is that right?
                      Sounded more to me like he wanted a rule that if a player signed early, the NHL club had to pay him his NHL salary even if he really wasn't good enough to play with the big club. Once a player signs, the NCAA will definitely not let him play in college again.

Neither of these interpretations would be at all in touch with reality, though, so I'm not sure what he was really getting at.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                        I am quickly loosing patience with the arrogance of many UND fans. News flash for you….you live in the ***** crack of America. Get over yourselves and try to act civilized when you follow your team.
                        Why should we get over ourselves when we're obviously so much better than plebs such as yourself?
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                          Simpletons like your self seem to be produced in mass numbers in the Grand Forks area. Laugh it up dirty UND. What goes around comes around. Anyone who thinks their program is immune to the types of struggles the Gophers have experienced in recent years is out of touch with what is going on in college hockey.

While I am by no means a Gopher fan, I am a college hockey fan. A strong Gopher program is good for college hockey and the WCHA.

I have met decent fans from UND. But I wish that was a more frequent experience.

Good Luck to the Gophers this year. I will be cheering for your team except for two games my team faces you. Hopefully the low expectations of you critics will allow your young players to play with an edge and rise above.
                          I like how you call most UND fans "Simpletons" and then proceed to make about 12 spelling/grammatical errors in your post.

In regards to the Lucia article, I think he makes a lot of valid points. He also clears up (or at least attempts to) some of the latest "situations" surrounding the Gopher program, which should lessen the calling for Lucia/Hill's head by some Gopher faithful.

Well, maybe not Hill.
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                            I like how you call most UND fans "Simpletons" and then proceed to make about 12 spelling/grammatical errors in your post.

In regards to the Lucia article, I think he makes a lot of valid points. He also clears up (or at least attempts to) some of the latest "situations" surrounding the Gopher program, which should lessen the calling for Lucia/Hill's head by some Gopher faithful.

Well, maybe not Hill.
                            Making a spelling error is one thing. Not being able to grasp the concept of a well written article is another.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              If he wants the same rule Major Junior has then you are correct. We all know that isn't possible for many reason's. I would assume he wants to force the NHL team to keep him on their roster all year if they sign a player. Of course if they do that and the player isn't ready then that player will just sit every game and how will that help them develop?

In my opinion Lucia hasn't done a good enough job handling players and now he is backtracking to make himself look better. The fact is other big name schools have players leave early and haven't slid back as far as his team has. Is it all his fault? Probably not, but it is his job to win games and when you are the coach of the Gophers you know what you are getting into. That article will not change how most Gopher fans feel about him. If he wants to keep his job he needs to stop making excuses and win.
                              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                                If he wants the same rule Major Junior has then you are correct. We all know that isn't possible for many reason's. I would assume he wants to force the NHL team to keep him on their roster all year if they sign a player. Of course if they do that and the player isn't ready then that player will just sit every game and how will that help them develop?

In my opinion Lucia hasn't done a good enough job handling players and now he is backtracking to make himself look better. The fact is other big name schools have players leave early and haven't slid back as far as his team has. Is it all his fault? Probably not, but it is his job to win games and when you are the coach of the Gophers you know what you are getting into. That article will not change how most Gopher fans feel about him. If he wants to keep his job he needs to stop making excuses and win.
                                What Tommyboy said, and he doesn't care about the gophers.
                                Bob is making me concerned
                                I am the voice of reason

Comment

Working...
                                X