Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Live In-Progress Scores

  1. #1
    Registered User moose97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Hoagland, IN
    Posts
    4,570

    Live In-Progress Scores

    I know that I've read that one of Paul Kelly's goals is a website with "live in progress scores." Now, I understand that the Hockey East website has had these available for a while (and available on a mobile version of their site too), and just today, the WCHA redesigned their website and added "live in progress statistics" available in a mobile version too. The CCHA site has a spot for "live scoring" - anyone know how well that works? I can't see any live scoring available at the AHA or ECACHL sites.

    At this point, I would imagine that it would be fairly easy (and really not that expensive) for each league to require the basic software and internet connection in the press box to create an ESPN Game-tracker type feature to be available here at USCHO, or elsewhere. Heck, I'm sure those game-tracker sites just take raw data from the game and it's mostly up to ESPN, or CBS or whoever you like to use to create the game-tracker site - am I right?

    This is, after all 2010! We shouldn't have to call WMPL on Sunday mornings to see who won games on the weekend, right?!?! I don't think I'm asking for ESPN to cary a weekly GOTW or EA to produce a video game...

  2. #2
    Go Whalers
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,492

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
    I know that I've read that one of Paul Kelly's goals is a website with "live in progress scores." Now, I understand that the Hockey East website has had these available for a while (and available on a mobile version of their site too), and just today, the WCHA redesigned their website and added "live in progress statistics" available in a mobile version too. The CCHA site has a spot for "live scoring" - anyone know how well that works? I can't see any live scoring available at the AHA or ECACHL sites.

    At this point, I would imagine that it would be fairly easy (and really not that expensive) for each league to require the basic software and internet connection in the press box to create an ESPN Game-tracker type feature to be available here at USCHO, or elsewhere. Heck, I'm sure those game-tracker sites just take raw data from the game and it's mostly up to ESPN, or CBS or whoever you like to use to create the game-tracker site - am I right?

    This is, after all 2010! We shouldn't have to call WMPL on Sunday mornings to see who won games on the weekend, right?!?! I don't think I'm asking for ESPN to cary a weekly GOTW or EA to produce a video game...
    hockey east's is sometimes a little behind. I know INCH has a mobile site with scores, but they're usually way behind.
    time to write new history

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,333

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    I thought the old WCHA site did a decent job at live scores, was always a few minutes behind but never something you had to wait until the next day for.

  4. #4
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    121,799

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Well, I call it "USCHO Score Updates" area.

    While I don't have a smartphone, many of my friends do, and utilize that feature. Otherwise, if we're hanging out at Chez Rube (or wherever) that area is up to the minute on scores/details of the game/etc.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  5. #5
    Frankenstein's Monster
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    20,065

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Well, I call it "USCHO Score Updates" area.

    While I don't have a smartphone, many of my friends do, and utilize that feature. Otherwise, if we're hanging out at Chez Rube (or wherever) that area is up to the minute on scores/details of the game/etc.
    Yeah, but not everybody is always going to be near a regular computer, and well, lets face it, using the USCHO Message Board on a smart phone or an iPod sucks. That feature could be vastly improved, as I've seen other MB's out there that have the same softwear package as what USCHO use's and have their MB be almost identical as to what you would have on a regular computer on an Ipod Touch.

    Of course, that might have something to do with the lesser amount of traffic that that site gets compaired to USCHO, the Admins here might fear that the Server here might not be able to handle the excess traffic from mobile users.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

    It just happens.


    nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

    leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

    Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Monks, Iowa
    Posts
    6,958

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Yeah, but not everybody is always going to be near a regular computer, and well, lets face it, using the USCHO Message Board on a smart phone or an iPod sucks.
    Not to mention, even on a regular computer, if your team's on the NCAA at-large bid bubble, you've gotta keep up with almost every game going.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

    Best USCHO quotes to date:

    "UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

    "It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

    "I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

  7. #7
    "Happy Talk" Ends Here...
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    4,023

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
    I can't see any live scoring available at the AHA or ECACHL sites.
    The AHA has updates at its website: https://atlantichockeyonline.com/scoreboard/index

    The clock never works right but appears they always have the game in the correct period and to date I have not known any errors. Sometimes there are a game or two not updating for whatever reason but they usally are from rinks that have teams that are not really relavent to the big show...

    It could be better, but its something and it loads easy on mobile devices...
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

    Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03


    "Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

    "If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

  8. #8
    Registered User moose97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Hoagland, IN
    Posts
    4,570

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Naeger View Post
    The AHA has updates at its website: https://atlantichockeyonline.com/scoreboard/index
    So, every league besides the ECACHL has "live" scores on their websites? Who here knows enough about web design to know how hard it would be to create a score tracker page just using the existing data? I know Collegehockeynews has tried in the past (and it doesn't work very well, BTW)...

    It just doesn't make sense to me that the data is available (whether on a schools live stats page or on a conference site), that someone couldn't put this together. Then again, I know I couldn't

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Collegehockeynews.com runs a pretty good game in process tracker.

    It would typically have updates for 90% of the games, and would be a couple minutes behind the live broadcast in terms of scoring/time updates.

  10. #10
    Registered User moose97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Hoagland, IN
    Posts
    4,570

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by alnike View Post
    Collegehockeynews.com runs a pretty good game in process tracker.

    It would typically have updates for 90% of the games, and would be a couple minutes behind the live broadcast in terms of scoring/time updates.
    Um, no. Listen, I've known Adam Wodon for several years, but even he would tell you that it leaves a lot to be desired. 90% is a very generous figure, and many times the games are a whole period (or more) behind (I can't tell you how many times I've looked for a score on that thing and it was 10 p.m. and the game said it was 0-0 at the 1st intermission). Then, once the game is over it seems like the final score rarely gets posted.

    I also want to point out that the reason I care so much about this is that I travel quite extensively in the winter (I broadcast high school sports on the radio), and don't actually get to many games (boy do I watch a lot on TV though!). Therefore, I keep up with scores on my phone when I don't have wi-fi at the gym/rink, and checking the score update forum is a pain on a smart phone as has been noted. There just has to be something better than Adam's site created...

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    208

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
    We shouldn't have to call WMPL on Sunday mornings to see who won games on the weekend.
    Great times

  12. #12
    from Russia with love
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The lab
    Posts
    124

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
    So, every league besides the ECACHL has "live" scores on their websites? Who here knows enough about web design to know how hard it would be to create a score tracker page just using the existing data? I know Collegehockeynews has tried in the past (and it doesn't work very well, BTW)...

    It just doesn't make sense to me that the data is available (whether on a schools live stats page or on a conference site), that someone couldn't put this together. Then again, I know I couldn't
    ECACHL website has live scores. Some of them freeze sometimes, but I've had pretty good luck with them last year.
    Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
    University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

    "When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    299

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Hey Guys,

    As for the CCHA:

    When you go to www.CCHA.com, in the middle right hand side of the page is the Live Scoring. Those are normally pretty accurate, maybe five minutes behind. However, when you click the time (Example: 3:32 3rd) it brings up a box score page. That is normally a minute behind at most and VERY accurate. I use it live in game while broadcasting the Ferris State Hockey games.

    So the CCHA really did an awesome job with that.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    299

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by boot_walt_kyle View Post
    They used to have that score tracker?

    What happened to that?

    Why did they take it away?

    What's the dealio?

    Can we get somethingt like that back again?

    ******** width="1" height="1">******* name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/***********&autoplay=1">******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true">******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">******* src="https://www.youtube.com/v/***********&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1" height="1">
    Who is the real identity of Bigfoot?

    I would love a score trafcker?

    If you are talking about GameTracker, I heard that the company did not want to deal with Division II teams anymore. So only the ALL Division I sport schools get to use it still. Which means, that cancels a lot of the college hockey schools.

  15. #15
    Behind the bench redhawkman10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,224

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    You can still get game tracker if you subscribe to CBS College sports for your school. It is limited to the number of games the track, probably to what dominic mentioned below, but its better than nothing.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

  16. #16
    GO BOBCATS!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hamden, CT
    Posts
    3,017

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    ECAC does have live scores. They have a scoreboard at the top of the page that displays scores pretty quickly.

  17. #17
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,911

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    using the USCHO Message Board on a smart phone or an iPod sucks..
    ah, no it doesn't, it is the exact same as using it on the computer, just have to use a smaller keyboard.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  18. #18
    Registered User moose97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Hoagland, IN
    Posts
    4,570

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    ah, no it doesn't, it is the exact same as using it on the computer, just have to use a smaller keyboard.
    I think the point is that you have to keep going back and forth between threads, or have a bunch of tabs open just to keep up on every game and keep refreshing them.

    Here's an example of what I was talking about - as far as an "ESPN.com - style" Score Tracker page:


    ----------------------
    North Dakota 0 20:00
    Bemidji State 0 1st
    ----------------------
    Live Stats (click here)
    Home Radio (click here)
    Road Radio (click here)


    ----------------------
    St. Cloud State 0 20:00
    Minnesota 0 1st
    ----------------------
    Live Stats (click here)
    Home Radio (click here)
    Road Radio (click here)


    etc.

    With the scores updating in real time (or on a 30 sec, or 90 sec, etc. refresh). That way, you could go to one page, get all the scores and also listen to any game you wanted with one click. CHN is the closest to this right now, but it has the potential to be so much better...

  19. #19
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,911

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    Quote Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
    I think the point is that you have to keep going back and forth between threads, or have a bunch of tabs open just to keep up on every game and keep refreshing them.

    Here's an example of what I was talking about - as far as an "ESPN.com - style" Score Tracker page:


    ----------------------
    North Dakota 0 20:00
    Bemidji State 0 1st
    ----------------------
    Live Stats (click here)
    Home Radio (click here)
    Road Radio (click here)


    ----------------------
    St. Cloud State 0 20:00
    Minnesota 0 1st
    ----------------------
    Live Stats (click here)
    Home Radio (click here)
    Road Radio (click here)


    etc.

    With the scores updating in real time (or on a 30 sec, or 90 sec, etc. refresh). That way, you could go to one page, get all the scores and also listen to any game you wanted with one click. CHN is the closest to this right now, but it has the potential to be so much better...
    I agree completely with that, but it is a problem with using the message board for score updates, not with using a smartphone. I am always annoyed with having to flip through threads to get scores, and then not getting reliable info in the thread on who the goal scorers are or who got the assists.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  20. #20
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    121,799

    Re: Live In-Progress Scores

    bbdl: that's what friends are for. Usually, I don't really care, but on big weekends, a bunch of us make sure we know who wants updates, etc, and yay texting, especially since some people are actually at the games.

    I have a 400-text/month plan, simply for hockey season. Avg offseason month, I run about 20-30 texts or so at best. During the season, I max out, if not go over.

    It narrows down how many threads you have to keep track of, and unless you want goal scorers/assists, it's much easier and usually more accurate/less time-consuming.

    Given the popularity of college hockey, it'd be tough to allocate the resources to get a true live-scoring site a la Yahoo/ESPN/etc, as they do in football/baseball/basketball (pro or otherwise).

    To be honest, there are times when we all text the up-to-the-minute PWR rankings during conf tourneys and such.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •