St Cloud renews head coach's contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Cloud renews head coach's contract

They announced they re signed Geisen to a four year contract. Is anyone surprised at this move?

Re: St Cloud renews head coach's contract

Is there something surprising about it?

Comment

Well it's certainly a respite from the norm on here where it's typicaly news about coaches that are leaving, got wacked or are bailing.

Good Luck to coach Geisen....

Comment

He's above .500 over the past 3-4 years, so unless he does something really dumb, he should keep his job. Maybe a four year deal is excessive, I don't really know what the norm is for WCHA contract extensions, but seems fair. Another recruiting class to come in and keep winnning.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
          He's above .500 over the past 3-4 years, so unless he does something really dumb, he should keep his job. Maybe a four year deal is excessive, I don't really know what the norm is for WCHA contract extensions, but seems fair. Another recruiting class to come in and keep winnning.
          It is just SCSU's norm of extending contract for long periods of time. I believe Motzko, the Men's coach, is on a six year contract extension. Good Luck to the women's team next year. Let's crack the top 3!
          Originally posted by Skeeterman
          Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
          "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
            Let's crack the top 3!
            Being in the Top 3 doesn't mean squat if you can't get past the conference quarterfinals on your own ice, and the Huskies haven't been able to do that for two consecutive years. I don't know that all four years of that contract will be honored if it happens again...
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
              Being in the Top 3 doesn't mean squat if you can't get past the conference quarterfinals on your own ice, and the Huskies haven't been able to do that for two consecutive years. I don't know that all four years of that contract will be honored if it happens again...
              That is true. No argument here, but I will argue with you next time I am up in Minnesota at a SCSU women's game and you are there.
              "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

No argument here, but I will argue with you next time I am up in Minnesota at a SCSU women's game and you are there.
                Let us know that the next time you plan to attend an SCSU/UM game in either city, because there are a number of Gopher fans that enjoy meeting fans of other teams. If nothing else, have The Boomer introduce us, because it is my suspicion that he knows everyone.

A good long term goal for the Huskies would be to move into the top three and stay there. Looking at the rosters in the short term, a more reasonable goal may be to try to finish higher than OSU, BSU, and UND. That does not figure to be easy.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Let us know that the next time you plan to attend an SCSU/UM game in either city, because there are a number of Gopher fans that enjoy meeting fans of other teams. If nothing else, have The Boomer introduce us, because it is my suspicion that he knows everyone.

A good long term goal for the Huskies would be to move into the top three and stay there. Looking at the rosters in the short term, a more reasonable goal may be to try to finish higher than OSU, BSU, and UND. That does not figure to be easy.
                  I have probably met you then. When I went to the games at SCSU, I sat in front of the Sin Bin Crew, ie, The Boomer and Skeeterman. They would always give me grief because I showed up fashionably late to games.

I will be interesting to see how UND and BSU fair this season. UND has the twins and BSU has a goalie that can take 60+ shots from the Canadian Olympic team. I wish I could be there to see it.

Comment

I have probably met you then.
                    I don't think so. I don't know that The Boomer or Top Row have ever introduced me to anyone beyond their spouses, although I could probably pick Skeeterman out of a lineup. Mostly, we just talk hockey.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      I don't think so. I don't know that The Boomer or Top Row have ever introduced me to anyone beyond their spouses, although I could probably pick Skeeterman out of a lineup. Mostly, we just talk hockey.
                      Interesting! You and so many others have picked Skeeterman out of a lineup!

I hate to agree with Crazy Dave but finishing 3rd will need to be followed by getting to the next step in the playoffs. Last year's team was fun to watch--and the many seniors stepped up big time. This coming season will be one with little expectations from the "experts," I would guess. Hope springs eternal at St. Cloud that newcomers will sweep us all off our feet.

Or else Ashley Nixon will need to be very busy and VERY effective.

Comment

We'll I don't know how to say this but here I go. St Cloud will become the bottom feeders. Ohio,ND,Bemidji will all be in front of SCSU for years to come. Geisen has been playing with Lesterberg's recruits for his stint as head coach. There is only one of Lesterberg's recruits left and that is Ashley Nixon. The rest of the team are Geisen's recruits and I think they accounted for about 5 or 6 goals last year. Nixon needs to be on her game, if she lets on goal in they will loose every game. Good luck girls it's going to bee a very trying season. Good thing the brain trust at SCSU gave your coach a 4 year extension for winning with Lesterberg's recruits. Keep your spirits up and remember, the main reason you are there is for an education.

Comment

I count four players who were possibly Lesteburg's recruits. Roberts, Hogan, Pezon and Hirsch. Now those four players were huge producers for them and had outstanding careers at SCSU. The other 4 seniors (F.Nelson who transferred in after Lesteburg left) were not heavily recruited, if recruited at all.
                          Not securring a starting goalie to push Nixon was a mistake. Hopefully SCSU scores first in every game they play...
                          Last edited by 123kidd; 06-06-2010, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                            I count four players who were possibly Lesteburg's recruits. Roberts, Hogan, Pezon and Hirsch. Now those four players were huge producers for them and had outstanding careers at SCSU. The other 4 seniors (F.Nelson who transferred in after Lesteburg left) were not heavily recruited, if recruited at all.
                            Not securring a starting goalie to push Nixon was a mistake. Hopefully SCSU scores first in every game they play...
                            I might be missing something here. Nixon is their starting goalie, so why was it a mistake by not securing a starting goalie?

Comment

Originally posted by player x View Post
                              I might be missing something here. Nixon is their starting goalie, so why was it a mistake by not securing a starting goalie?
                              I believe it is being implied that they do not have a proven goalie to replace Nixon. When I watched St Cloud play the Olympic team earlier this year I noticed the stark differences in goaltending ability. Nixon, I believe, did not let in a goal. She was very good in the games I watched.

Comment

Working...
                              X