• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA News explores 2010 Frozen Four setting

Interesting viewpoint from NCAA News:

http://www.ncaabiz.biz/wps/portal/nc...unch+-+2-28-00

Re: NCAA News explores 2010 Frozen Four setting

Can you try fixing the link? I'm getting an error...
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Comment

Sorry -- Try this:

http://www.ncaabiz.biz/wps/portal/nc...3_10_ncaa_news

Comment

the article states that they usually get 25,000 requests through the lottery.
        wonder how many they got for Ford Field--Many thousand fewer
        I thought the article was going to be an apology to priority seat holders for their allocation of seats

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
          I thought the article was going to be an apology to priority seat holders for their allocation of seats
          Me too. In fact, the article seems to espouse a pro-future-dome viewpoint....

Comment

I cringe at the thought of this going 8 pages with people listing their priority, etc like at least 3 other threads did. In the end I think the NCAA is handling it correctly. I am guessing we will be in NHL buildings for many years and only going back to a dome in the demand as well as nearly perfect planning is taken care of.
            MICHIGAN STATE
            1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
              Me too. In fact, the article seems to espouse a pro-future-dome viewpoint....
              It's the NCAA News - the NCAA's own PR newsletter. Were you really expecting them to badmouth their own event?

Comment

The continued popularity of college hockey would suggest a growing fan base. The 2009-10 regular season saw two outdoor college games, with more than 38,000 fans on hand at Fenway Park to see Boston College play Boston University and more than 55,000 fans attending the Wisconsin win over Michigan at the Camp Randall Hockey Classic. Next year, Michigan State will play the Wolverines in Michigan Stadium, with more than 80,000 tickets already sold.
                I wish this was true. I believe the "increase" in college hockey fans is due to people loving the idea of outdoor hockey.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  It's the NCAA News - the NCAA's own PR newsletter. Were you really expecting them to badmouth their own event?
                  Or even stretch the truth somewhat...
                  "The event has been selling out regularly since 1993..."
                  Oh really?
                  1996 and 1999 were not even close to sellouts.
                  It has regularly been selling out since 2000. And even given that, in 1995, 2000, and 2001 it was in AHL rinks in Providence and Albany (~13,000 or less). Although I'm sure Providence would sell out an NHL-sized arena easliy if they had one. Albany probably would have as well, simply because of their proximity to New England.
                  The idea of an automatic sellout in an NHL-sized arena, regardless of the market location (i.e. Milwaukee 1997, Boston 1998, and St. Paul 2002 were automatic sellouts being the traditional FF venues that they are). began early in the 2000's and was confirmed beginning in 2003 in Buffalo, followed by Columbus, St. Louis, Denver, and Washington. Now the venue doesn't matter, as it's an automatic sellout. The "experiment" in Tampa in 2012 will be hailed as a huge success because all 19,000 (I'm guessing at the arena's capacity down there) will be sold a year ahead of time. But there will be absolutely no secondary market for tickets there (unless UAH makes it to the FF - hey you never know) with no local interest whatsoever and the odds of anyone driving down for scalper tickets when they find out their team has made it is slim or none.

And of course, Jerry York thinks the atmosphere was great. His team won the NC there. I'd be thrilled with the atmosphere in Death Valley or the South Pole if my team won a championship there by routing two of the best teams in the nation. Big deal. The coaches didn't have to sit in the stands and watch a hockey game from what seemed like a different zip code (that is unless you had the great high priority seats - ugh).
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                    I cringe at the thought of this going 8 pages with people listing their priority, etc like at least 3 other threads did. In the end I think the NCAA is handling it correctly. I am guessing we will be in NHL buildings for many years and only going back to a dome in the demand as well as nearly perfect planning is taken care of.
                    What you need is a football stadium build like University of Phoenix in Arizona where the field can be taken out and have the floor under the floor specifically designed to sink further down to allow great site lines for a hockey rink

Maybe they should do this for the new Vikings stadium! If we're going to pay for a new one, might as well go all out...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                    X