Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help rename the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help rename the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

How about "Fighting Irish" or "Seminoles"?
    If anyone complains in the NCAA, make them look at Notre Dame and Florida State. If they can have mascot names based on race, why not UND?
    Oh yeah, MONEY!

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    Komodo Dragons, Dinosaurs, Happy Cows, Plowers (have a giant plow as a mascot), or the flooders.

If those don't work, Tundra, Eggplants, or Prairie Dogs.
    I beat you to it on this one.

Originally posted by Pucky-Bucky Backer View Post
    That's just wrong.
    Ralph should send an invoice to the state for the cost of the arena.
    Time to stick it to the politicians and the courts and change the name to the "ground squirrels" or "prairie dogs".
    How about the "Surrendering French"?

Don't get mad, get even!

Comment

North Dakota Fighting Cavalry, to honor the people who slaughtered the Native Americans. Would that be considered hostile and abusive?
      If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
        North Dakota Fighting Cavalry, to honor the people who slaughtered the Native Americans. Would that be considered hostile and abusive?
        REA could be redecorated with pictures of Custer and his men standing victorious at Little Bighorn. Even more hostile and abusive, and historically inaccurate - what could be better?
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

The North Dakota Snarling Ferretts

Okay really . . .

The North Dakota Thrashers. I can't think of another team that has that name in the NCAA's.

Could be worse; University of California, Santa Cruz: Banana Slugs. Really.
          I haven't been on here in a year...
          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

North Dakota Fighting 7th has always been my preference...Custer's calvary unit.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/union-g...res/custer.jpg
            THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
            1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
            1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
            University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
            University of Oregon Ducks Football
            San Francisco Giants
            Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Can't take credit for this one, saw it on the live blog during the Wisconsin game...

University of North Dakota Southern Canadians.
              Wisconsin Hockey is life... Everything else is just filler.

Comment

A couple of quick photochops i did for a coworker that went to UND...

*****http://lh4.ggpht.com/_b9yjvH3jMU8/S78WxSpPVbI/AAAAAAAABds/XZYQaad1Ql4/s400/flickertails.jpg******

*****http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b9yjvH3jMU8/S78W6a6p4wI/AAAAAAAABeM/S-2oSZ9YU5Q/s400/engines2.jpg******

*****http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b9yjvH3jMU8/S78Wr_qkZGI/AAAAAAAABdo/MV_VElsRUYU/s400/wild%20prairie%20roses.jpg******
                Landcows Fan

Minnesota State University Class of 2004

Edgar

Comment

As an aerospace engineer, I have to almost, sort-of, well, at least not DIS-respect UND's aviation programs () so how about the Jets?

The uni's are already green anyway...

Edit: not to mention the long-time association of the name "Jets" with CANADIAN hockey players...
                  Last edited by LynahFan; 04-09-2010, 07:55 AM.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Insensitive, yes. Hostile and Abusive? Not according to the writ of social change the NCAA put upon us to change our nickname.

As long as we don't have any semblence of NA imagery or symbology present in anything UND, there's nothing that can be done.

However....

I'm still a fan of Fighting Cavalry, but the ire behind it for me is gone.

I've seen enough evidence to suggest that it isn't the NA tribes that wanted this gone (just the minority of the minority). It was mainly the PC agendas and a State Board that wanted to get their own part of the ND history books by making a landmark decision. It also helps distract people away from the NDSU debacle.

I think the State Board felt comfortable doing this because they knew that the public couldn't vote them out of office. They hold little recourse other than to write letters to the Governor. The Governor isn't going to remove a SB member over a nickname so... the power is there for the taking and they took it.

It's a crying shame.

Oh well. Let's move on.
                    Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

As a 40 year Gopher fan I hate UND but I respect them . What the NCAA as pushed for here is so wrong . It should be all or none you cant let Florida State be the Seminoles but not let UND be the Sioux. There is no other University that has been as respectfull or helped educate people on Indians and thier culture. They will always be the Sioux to me ...And they still have the best jersey in sports

Comment

University of North Dakota Go **** Yourselves
                        University of North Dakota Dirty's
                        Last edited by Dirty; 04-09-2010, 07:59 AM.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          University of North Dakota Go **** Yourselves
                          The logo can be a fat cat in an ND SBoHE Tshirt taking a dump on a picture of the REA.
                          Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

the WCHA doesn't have a Wildcats! ... yet
                            Boston University '08 Syracuse University '11
                            when you say Jack Parker... you've said it all

1994 1996 1998 1999 2000 2003 2009 2009
                            "so here's to the outhouse on the hill, 'cause BOSTON COLLEGE SUCKS, and they always will!"

Comment

The Non Violent Native Americans NVNA ? Or how about the Ralphies ?

Comment

University of North Dakota Lemmiwinks
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X