Tournament Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tournament Expansion

Alright, everyone in the pool. It's going to get really crowded.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
      There is no hard-and-fast guideline, just a "recommendation" and general "preference."

That said, it makes no sense to expand the tournament for a sport that has dropped some seven programs over the last 10 years. If anything, you will see the tournament contract to 12 teams before you ever see it expand.

And if Division I ever has the guts to revoke the play-up, there will be no more Division I ice hockey.
      What's "the play-up"?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Alright, everyone in the pool. It's going to get really crowded.
        ******* width="512" height="296">****** name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/XJf67AHDj2qwzZvrcdos_w">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/XJf67AHDj2qwzZvrcdos_w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296">
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I was hoping someone would post that video.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
            What's "the play-up"?
            The NCAA currently allows (though it may or may not currently be under a moratorium; certainly the NCAA would review on a case by case basis if the application was compelling enough) Division II and Division III schools to play one men's and one women's team in Division I in certain sports (notably not football or basketball, the two "money" sports). Ice hockey is one of those (as is lacrosse, though there are fewer playups since there is a viable Division II).

The NCAA can, however, change these rules so that you may only play Division I competition in any sport if you are a full member of Division I. So this means the following teams would either need to upgrade their programs to Division I, or play Division II or III hockey: St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji, Colorado College, Alaska-Anchorage, Michigan Tech, Minnesota-Duluth, Alaska, Nebraska-Omaha, Northern Michigan, Lake Superior, Ferris State, Merrimack, Mass-Lowell, Clarkson, Union, RPI, St. Lawrence, Mercyhurst, AIC, Bentley, RIT and Alabama-Huntsville.

In other words, if such legislation were passed tomorrow, more than 1/3 of the current D-I membership would be gone. The WCHA would be down to 4 teams, and probably have to merge with the 7 team CCHA just to stay viable. The Eastern leagues would be OK.

D-II would be a mess; although there's enough teams for a good sized Western conference, there'd be no anchors like Michigan or Minnesota to gravitate around, and then there's the problem of the Alaskas. Mercyhurst would probably get stuck with the Western group, as the Northeast Ten would probably close ranks around its full membership. And it's still practically unviable by the numbers. There's only like 22 teams that would be there.

In D-III, the ECAC West would at least get its autobid back. But Colorado College would be more of an island than it already is (where it at least currently has 2 friends out west, and UNO is a long but doable bus ride). They'd be my #1 choice to apply for a full upgrade.

So, yeah, a cluster-*******.
            Last edited by kingdobbs; 03-30-2010, 09:44 AM.
            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
              The NCAA can, however, change these rules so that you may only play Division I competition in any sport if you are a full member of Division I.
              Exactly. And NCAA Bylaw 18.2.3 states that a minimum of 40 sponsoring institutions are required for a divisional championship. There are currently 36 full Division I members playing men's ice hockey.

Though, in practice, the Division I championship would likely dissolve and become the "National Collegiate Championship," with all Division I and Division II members being eligible. I think the big difference would be that the Division II members would have to follow Division II rules regarding schedule and financial aid limitations.*

* I am not a compliance director.
              UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
              2006 Time Person of the Year
              Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
              It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                ...The NCAA can, however, change these rules so that you may only play Division I competition in any sport if you are a full member of Division I. So this means the following teams would either need to upgrade their programs to Division I, or play Division II or III hockey: St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji, Colorado College, Alaska-Anchorage, Michigan Tech, Minnesota-Duluth, Alaska, Nebraska-Omaha, Northern Michigan, Lake Superior, Ferris State, Merrimack, Mass-Lowell, Clarkson, Union, RPI, St. Lawrence, Mercyhurst, AIC, Bentley, RIT and Alabama-Huntsville.

In other words, if such legislation were passed tomorrow, more than 1/3 of the current D-I membership would be gone. The WCHA would be down to 4 teams, and probably have to merge with the 7 team CCHA just to stay viable. The Eastern leagues would be OK.

D-II would be a mess; although there's enough teams for a good sized Western conference, there'd be no anchors like Michigan or Minnesota to gravitate around, and then there's the problem of the Alaskas. Mercyhurst would probably get stuck with the Western group, as the Northeast Ten would probably close ranks around its full membership. And it's still practically unviable by the numbers. There's only like 22 teams that would be there.

In D-III, the ECAC West would at least get its autobid back. But Colorado College would be more of an island than it already is (where it at least currently has 2 friends out west, and UNO is a long but doable bus ride). They'd be my #1 choice to apply for a full upgrade.

So, yeah, a cluster-*******.
                With D-I hockey effectively closed to new members as all conferences are at (or close to) the max of 12 teams, something has to give if we want to expand the number of colleges playing NCAA ice hockey. There are only 2 solutions, form another conference or get rid of some of your current members in favor of higher profile (more $$) members.

D-II needs 50 sponsoring schools to hold a national championship. If D-I kicks the D-II's out, there is still not enough to form a strictly D-II NCAA championship, so I don't know what happens save having all the D-III's play up @ D-II (can they do that??).

D-III, on the other hand, would be in fine shape. However, the ECAC-West would NOT get the autobid as we have the Liberty League already in place:
                Clarkson
                St. Lawrence
                RPI
                Union
                Skidmore
                Hobart
                RIT (coming soon)

That's 7 teams from an existing conference and an instant (after the cleansing period for the play-ups is over) AQ!
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  With D-I hockey effectively closed to new members as all conferences are at (or close to) the max of 12 teams, something has to give if we want to expand the number of colleges playing NCAA ice hockey. There are only 2 solutions, form another conference or get rid of some of your current members in favor of higher profile (more $$) members.
                  Well, bear in mind that this would be a decision made by the NCAA and imposed upon ice hockey (who would be, with only a few exceptions, the most adversely affected; PR wise it'd be a disaster for the NCAA), not something the hockey schools would do to themselves. Splitting the divisions would benefit no one, and it would make it not a whit easier to address the issue of sponsorship numbers.

D-II needs 50 sponsoring schools to hold a national championship. If D-I kicks the D-II's out, there is still not enough to form a strictly D-II NCAA championship, so I don't know what happens save having all the D-III's play up @ D-II (can they do that??).
                  Mike posted the likely scenario. The three divisions agree to conduct two championships, one as the "National Collegiate Championship" (which would include the 53 current D-I and D-II playups, and the six D-II playdowns, and would make CC, CCT, SLU, RPI and Union play in D-III), and then a separate Division III (nothing says, according to my reading of the appropriate by-laws, that D-III has to agree to join the NCC for it to start, just that it has to be involved in the decision). Women's hockey already uses this structure, although they obviously do not force playdowns yet (the hypothetical change in legislation would do that for them, though).

D-III, on the other hand, would be in fine shape. However, the ECAC-West would NOT get the autobid as we have the Liberty League already in place:
                  Clarkson
                  St. Lawrence
                  RPI
                  Union
                  Skidmore
                  Hobart
                  RIT (coming soon)

That's 7 teams from an existing conference and an instant (after the cleansing period for the play-ups is over) AQ!
                  You're right, I forgot about the LL as a possibility, but I question whether it'd be more beneficial to the members as assembled. A 10 team ECAC West including the old playups would be pretty powerful on its own.
                  Last edited by kingdobbs; 03-30-2010, 12:05 PM.
                  UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

All CC would have to do is move up to D2 and join the RMAC for their other D2 sports. They dropped football a while back because they were blowing a lot of cash shipping them to Texas and back to play some D3's there. In the greater Colorado area, there's the D2 RMAC League, of which, Colorado College was an orginal member of that league, back before the NCAA really had given much thought to the whole idea of divisions. If Push ever really came to Shove, CC would be totally stupid to keep its one big money maker from being able to play with Denver.

I would also think that the New York area D3's that play up would likely give D2 a long hard look as well to keep their Hockey programs skating with the big boys as well.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

16 team field.
                      58 eligible D1 schools.
                      5044 average attend. at this year's regional championship games.
                      14,526 average capacity for the four regional venues.
                      1,346,806 threads suggesting expansion of tournament field.

Priceless!
                      Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        All CC would have to do is move up to D2 and join the RMAC for their other D2 sports. They dropped football a while back because they were blowing a lot of cash shipping them to Texas and back to play some D3's there. In the greater Colorado area, there's the D2 RMAC League, of which, Colorado College was an orginal member of that league, back before the NCAA really had given much thought to the whole idea of divisions. If Push ever really came to Shove, CC would be totally stupid to keep its one big money maker from being able to play with Denver.
                        That's why I say they're the likeliest candidate.

I would also think that the New York area D3's that play up would likely give D2 a long hard look as well to keep their Hockey programs skating with the big boys as well.
                        D-I might actually be the better option, though, assuming they get a chance to make the move. D-2 has something of a gap in coverage in upstate New York, and no real viable options for conference membership short of convincing the two upstate members (St. Rose and LeMoyne, in Albany and Syracuse respectively), and maybe St. Michael's in Vermont, to hop from the NE-10 (which is actually a nicely compact "Adirondack square" conference, plus RIT). They'll have to force most of their Olympic sports to travel to schools in the PSAC, Northeast-Ten or East Coast Conference (which is very NYC-centric); not a huge stretch for RPI or Union, but definitely will put the hurt on Clarkson and SLU.

For the upstate schools, D-I has slightly better non-conference options (and slightly richer, as well, because they can score money games with Big East opponents), assuming they can get a chance to make that move; just off the top of my head, there's Colgate, Cornell, Syracuse, Siena, Buffalo, Binghamton, UAlbany, Canisius, Niagara, UVM, UMass, and St. Bonaventure within a day's bus trip for the North Country guys. It'd still suck mightily for SLU football, though. And conference membership would be, of course, very thorny. There might be room for all the teams, but not together.
                        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          No tournament expansion (or reduction) until there are more teams playing D-1 hockey.

College hockey growth is moving along at a good pace. The main event is a sell out no matter who's playing (and if Detroit does well - it'll also be no matter where its held). Give the 4 regionals some time and the attendence will follow. In particular they need to work out where those are held (Ft. Wayne?). However, things are looking good with one exception. With little or no openings in existing conferences, I do wonder how easy it'll be for a new program to get up and running.

Really, really against cutting the tournament back. Every year some team is going to make it that maybe shouldn't have, but that's not a major problem. I like the no first round byes so every team has to win 4 games for the title. Also with a 12 team tournament if there's a couple of upsets in conference championships (think ECAC and Atlantic Hockey) a really good team on the cusp of the top 10 gets royally screwed. I don't think the sport benefits from that happening.
                          Whats wrong with Ft. Wayne? Having Miami and Michigan there was perfectly fine, both schools within 2 hr driving distances so that location was perfect and it really is a nice venue to watch a game, I thought. The attendance there for the regional final would of doubled had the game time not been at 8 PM on a sunday night....
                          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Working...
                          X