Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FFFF Semi (4/8): Wisconsin vs. RIT

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post
    RIT has deeper pockets than OSU whose athletic department topped 100 million dollars in revenue last year? If so then money shouldn't be an issue and you're safe.
    I didn't say "deeper", I said "deep enough". No doubt tOSU has a bigger athletic program budget (never tried to say otherwise). Revenue doesn't tell the whole story.

I'll keep out of the "best places to live" argument ... but I wouldn't trust any comparisons coming from a Syracuse native!

I agree ... back to hockey. Let's stay off this topic although I can say that tOSU couldn't throw enough money at me to make me go there. Although I'm sure I could think of a few places that might be able to.

As for hockey, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the RIT-Wisconsin match up. Should be another great game, but I'm not so sure about the atmosphere in Ford Field ... will anyone really be close to the ice?
    -M

Comment

The ESPNU ticker says the UW/RIT game is the 5pm semi, if I read it right...
      St. Norbert College Green Knights
      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      ---
      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
        The ESPNU ticker says the UW/RIT game is the 5pm semi, if I read it right...
        They showed the bracket during the BC/Yale game and it also said 5 eastern.
        Five Reasons to Love Wisconsin Hockey:
        1. "Varsity"
        2. "SIEVE!"
        3. "Five Goal Free for All"
        4. Phil and Mrs. Phil
        5. "'Midget' Hockey"

Comment

Originally posted by jwilli View Post
          When will it be announced if this game will be the 5:00 or 8:00 game? What criteria is used to determine the order of the semi's?

I'm going to be in Anchorage on business, and I'm hoping this is the late semi so that I'll be able to catch most of it on TV after the work day.
          I would agree with what's been posted above. If Miami wins tonight, then as the #1 seed, they would probably get the late game. Alternately, if Michigan wins tonight, then being at home would probably earn them the late game as well.
          So either way, I think it's the 4pm game.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
            I'd imagine seeding matters some. If Miami wins their regional, then they would be the top overall seed of the 4 remaining teams. If Michigan wins, then Wisconsin is the top remaining seed.
            You better go back and check the BC seed and score. They are thrashing Yale.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucky-Bucky Backer View Post
              I believe Wisconsin was the #3 overall, with BC being #4.

Comment

Anyone else have the impression that perhaps there are attendence/TV reasons to put Wisconsin/RIT on the early game, assuming Michigan pulls off the upset of Miami? And if Miami wins, then perhaps they'll get the late game due to seeding reasons?

Plus, the Mich/Miami vs BC game will have the whole Boston media market thing going for it (even if every Bostonian alive will be following the Red Sox that weekend anyway).

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                RIT is a lot more of a glamorous job than it appears. They have tremendous facilities (apparently with new ones coming), and an incredible fan base.
                I won't argue the fan base- I was very impressed with the RIT fans that I saw on TV this weekend.

But the facilities? Ritter might be great on AHA standards, and we all know that in college hockey its the fans that make the arena great. But even still, for the big boys Ritter looks no better than their practice rinks!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Ice_Arena.jpg
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Anyone else have the impression that perhaps there are attendence/TV reasons to put Wisconsin/RIT on the early game, assuming Michigan pulls off the upset of Miami? And if Miami wins, then perhaps they'll get the late game due to seeding reasons?

Plus, the Mich/Miami vs BC game will have the whole Boston media market thing going for it (even if every Bostonian alive will be following the Red Sox that weekend anyway).

I won't argue the fan base- I was very impressed with the RIT fans that I saw on TV this weekend.

But the facilities? Ritter might be great on AHA standards, and we all know that in college hockey its the fans that make the arena great. But even still, for the big boys Ritter looks no better than their practice rinks!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Ice_Arena.jpg
                  give us time.. I would think within 5-10 years, we will have facilities that rival some of the better ones.. granted the economy has slowed down progress towards funding for it but I am sure with the current success of our team, we can get the funding needed.. Just getting this far, RIT's athletic dept will get close to $500,000 just getting to the FF.. if we end up winning, I can see that number going up to around $1 million

Comment

The Ritter is very quickly getting outgrown. As an interim step before a new arena in a few years, new dressing rooms, offices, video, etc. are being added on the east side of the building with ground being broken shortly. That will bring the players' and coaches' accommodations up to a very high level.

But the atmosphere in the Ritter is fantastic and the facility's maintenance is first rate.

Comment

If I'm in RIT development, I'd be pounding the pavement a bit these next two weeks. It might suddenly be easier to find a well-off alumnus that would like to put her/his name on a new ice rink. It isn't a secret that RIT had plans drawn up for a new rink, but I heard the economy set that back a bit. But, I'd say there's suddenly more opportunity. And, RIT always plays a game or two downtown as a second home, and drew 7,400 this year on alumni weekend this year.

All of this leads to a primary point, that the RIT program is one that has plenty of room for future growth, and Wilson's tenure is significant. Of course, keeping two minds like Wilson and Hills together will be very difficult. But, if nothing else, the fact that their family's are as close as they are may help. That's not to say that the BG job isn't a threat (I think Wilson has a daughter that goes there).

And, on the Rochester talk, a stretch on E. Main (by the hotels/convention center) is beaten up due to a few planned projects that have caused disinvestment. But, there's pockets of progress, and the suburbs are strong (particularly the schools). Rochester isn't perfect, but there's more to it than what one who stays at the Hyatt/Radisson might think...

And, on topic, it should be an interesting game. Wisconsin will be an uphill battle for RIT, but I love the way RIT's defense has been playing. If they can keep it up, no one is going to be scoring a ton of goals on them. Will it be enough? Time will tell.
                      Last edited by bjdrit; 03-28-2010, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucky-Bucky Backer View Post
                        Huh? BC is the #4 overall seed, Wisconsin is the #3 overall seed.
                        "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by bjdrit View Post
                          And, on topic, it should be an interesting game. Wisconsin will be an uphill battle for RIT, but I love the way RIT's defense has been playing. If they can keep it up, no one is going to be scoring a ton of goals on them. Will it be enough? Time will tell.
                          RIT certainly has the ability. I would imagine that your win over DU will be more indicative of what to expect than your shellacking and utter dismantling of UNH. Both UW and DU provide a lot more depth at forward and breakout ability from the defensemen. Of course I'm biased, but I'd venture to say that UW will be an even tougher challenge than DU in that regard, because I think our 3rd and 4th lines and our bottom D pairings are a lot better than what you'll find anywhere else in the nation.

RIT's success will have everything to do with how well they can shut that down. After this weekend, I'm convinced that they can do it to UW's top line and top defenders... how well will RIT's depth players do?
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                            I'll keep out of the "best places to live" argument ... but I wouldn't trust any comparisons coming from a Syracuse native!
                            Hey hey, some of us RIT people are from Syracuse.

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post
                            We have a service technician that lives in the area that is originally from Syracuse and he hates it.
                            What is he smoking?! Rochester is so much better than Syracuse. The cities themselves are ok but the Rochester metro area is way nicer.

On another note I find it interesting when people refer to RIT as if they are some tiny unknown school. Sure their athletics program isn't well known but I don't think you can say the same about the school itself considering. We have about 15,000 students...it's no state school but it is probably more than about 2/3 (or at least 1/2) of DI hockey teams.

how well will RIT's depth players do?
                            I'm pretty confident about our depth, at least offensively. We don't really have any go-to guys, everyone seems to be contributing this year. In previous years I know we (the fans) would look for certain people in key situations but this year I feel good no matter who has the puck. I'm not sure how we will match up against Wisconsin but I know one thing we won't have to worry about is not having enough depth. Skill and experience wise I'm not sure how we will match up but after what I saw this past weekend I think we have a good shot.
                            Last edited by Mania; 03-28-2010, 11:36 PM.
                            RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                              I believe Wisconsin was the #3 overall, with BC being #4.
                              My bad, I transposed "top" and "remaining" to read it as the only top seed left.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                                I would agree with what's been posted above. If Miami wins tonight, then as the #1 seed, they would probably get the late game. Alternately, if Michigan wins tonight, then being at home would probably earn them the late game as well.
                                So either way, I think it's the 4pm game.
                                the seeding has nothing to do with the game times at the frozen four the ncaa simply does what it wants just like basketball when carolina or duke go to the final four they ALWAYS play the late game... that's not an accident, more people watch whether they love em or hate em.

.... its all about tv and attendance/home crowd... prolly a heavier emphasis on tv, however, in 2006 wisconsin played maine in the late game in milwaukee and bc-ndakota was the early game, which helped a lot for atmosphere...plus gave the whole sea of wisconsin red extra hours to "prepare" for the game in milwaukee's finest german taverns hahaha.

since 2000 the highest remaining seed at the frozen four has played the early game 4 times and the late game 7 times.... the only time i remember the ncaa sticking a close to home team with the early game was cornell in buffalo in 03, but with minnesota playing michigan in the other semi (and unh being cornell's opponent) it's not tough to see why.

and like bemidji st last year, u had to know that once RIT advanced, the only way they'd be playing the late game was if yale and miami both won today, but once bc won it didnt matter who won the miami-michigan game cuz it'd be the more marquee matchup so to speak.
                                NATIONAL CHAMPIONS- 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010
                                HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONSHIPS- 9
                                BEANPOT TITLES- We'll let BU fans keep track

Comment

Working...
                                X