Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix the **** nets

Fix the **** nets

This isn't necessarily the NCAA's fault here, but enough is enough.

First Vermont went to the Frozen Four on an overtime goal that went through a net last season. Then tonight UNH ties Cornell 1-1 with another one that went through the net. Thankfully the referees made the proper calls on both occasions, but one of these nights someone's going to get screwed on something like this, and they're going to have a legitimate beef. God forbid if it happens in the National Title game.

A puck should not go completely through the net and come out the other side. The makeup of the nets need to be changed. This is completely unavoidable and should be fixed.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Re: Fix the **** nets

agree. strongly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Wait until one of the big boys (Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, BC, BU, etc.) gets screwed. We'll have a riot on our hands around here, and rightfully so.

God, that was fun...

If you want it to be accurate you can always have an electronic trigger in the pucks. If anyone remebers FOX's NHL coverage in the 90s they use to have a little blue circle around the pucks for normal passing and trick shots and it would turn red for slap shots and what not. Maybe implement something similar. All you would need is some sort of sensor in the puck and the net that would only activate on a goal. It would not be that costly to implement and could be outfitted rather quickly.

I'd rather shrink the holes in the net instead of going back to the Glow Puck. If it goes in the net, it should stay in the net.

God, that was fun...

I agree.

Fix the nets.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    If it goes in the net, it should stay in the net.
    What happens in the net, stays in the net.

Heavyweight Champion of My House MikeAnderson's Avatar

I'd rather shrink the holes in the net instead of going back to the Glow Puck. If it goes in the net, it should stay in the net.
    No need for the glow puck, but an electronic sensor could replace the role of the goal judge.

Then again, electronics can fail just as humans can.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

The NHL already *ed the Red Wings once this season partly because the goal judges got moved. Let's not outsmart ourselves here or overthink this. Shrink the holes in the nets, please.

Brad May video upcoming here.

******** width="640" height="385">******* name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/_v0HSV6yIYQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&">******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true">******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">******* src="https://www.youtube.com/v/_v0HSV6yIYQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">
    Last edited by Hammer; 03-26-2010 at 08:02 PM.

God, that was fun...

Cleanup on Aisle 12, please

[QUOTE=Hammer;4723072]The NHL already *ed the Red Wings once this season partly because the goal judges got moved.

Brad May video upcoming here.

I LOVE CONSPIRACY THEORIES!!!

(Or I'm just a Blackhawks fan... and upon further review, you all got hosed.)
    Last edited by FueledByRamen; 03-26-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

It's not a conspiracy at all. It's incompetence. The NHL moved the goal judges so they could sell another ~10 high-end tickets per game, and the referees botched the replay 7 way until Sunday, even after they got a call from Toronto.

God, that was fun...

Attention Paid Me

Quote Originally Posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    If you want it to be accurate you can always have an electronic trigger in the pucks. If anyone remebers FOX's NHL coverage in the 90s they use to have a little blue circle around the pucks for normal passing and trick shots and it would turn red for slap shots and what not. Maybe implement something similar. All you would need is some sort of sensor in the puck and the net that would only activate on a goal. It would not be that costly to implement and could be outfitted rather quickly.
    They got rid of that because the players said it altered the pucks and made it harder to handle/shoot. I have no reason to believe it would be any different now.

blow up the scottrade center

if you make the nets have smaller holes it will be tougher for the refs to see the puck cross the line or not. I've seen about 3 instances of this happening and every time video replay has led to the correct call being made

Think of the movie Beetle Juice
    People always say "is that close to Detroit?"

This is completely unavoidable and should be fixed.
    Um ... we knew what you meant!

Wait until one of the big boys (Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, BC, BU, etc.) gets screwed. We'll have a riot on our hands around here, and rightfully so.
    Umm, early round NCAA playoff between UMN and NMU (?) it happened to the Gophs then. Shot one through the net and the refs and goal judge were the only ones in the building who didn't see it.

Frankenstein's Monster

Quote Originally Posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    Same tech is used today to put the down lines across the field for Football. Still, something better should be done for the nets, either slightly beefier netting, higher tensile strength material. Or a few more set fixed cameras so that they can get the replay right.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

First Vermont went to the Frozen Four on an overtime goal that went through a net last season. Then tonight UNH ties Cornell 1-1 with another one that went through the net. Thankfully the referees made the proper calls on both occasions, but one of these nights someone's going to get screwed on something like this, and they're going to have a legitimate beef. God forbid if it happens in the National Title game.

A puck should not go completely through the net and come out the other side. The makeup of the nets need to be changed. This is completely unavoidable and should be fixed.
    Last week at the same venue Saint Lawrence had a shot that the majority of people (including the on ice officials and both teams) thought hit the post and came right back out. A TV replay (which I didn't see as I was at the game) apparently showed the puck moving the net and coming right back out. I was told they showed the replay just before a commercial and when they came back no one commented or replayed it again.
    It's clear that some how goal calls are being missed and some without even the benefit of going to a replay or review. At least in tonights game they went to a replay. Last week the game continued and even after a TV timeout it was never even reviewed or questioned.

I don't have the answer but it sure does seem there should be some sort of technology that could/should do a better job than what is happening on the ice with the officials only.
    SLU

Has missed way too much hockey

Heck, and if Sislo's 2nd goal was on an angle...you know, the one where he avoid two checks and then scored? That one could have blown through the net and perhaps through the boards. Butler's goal? Too good for the net to hold.
    AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Don't forget the olympics all that was left was the burn mark of the puck going through.
    dash 8
    what does North Dakota's gov't have that Minnesota won't have? A budget Surplus

tamed by age and ?maturity?

Quote Originally Posted by dolan View Post
    They got rid of that because the players said it altered the pucks and made it harder to handle/shoot. I have no reason to believe it would be any different now.
    If they can put a sensor in a tennis ball without affect, I think they can certainly make it work in a puck..
    Anthem singers should not be American idol wannabes. - Dubbie31

Thread Information