* unanimous selection

Three Stars Award
    Bobby Butler, New Hampshire

Best Defensive Defensemen
    Justin Braun, Massachusetts

Inidividual Sportsmanship Award
    Ben Smith, Boston College

Scoring Champions
    B. Butler, UNH/G. Nyquist, Maine, 41 pts.

Best Goalie
    Carter Hutton, UMass-Lowell (2.35 GA, .920 save %)

Best Defensive Forward
    Ben Holmstrom, UMass-Lowell

Team Sportsmanship Award
    New Hampshire Wildcats

https://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...03/mar17ar.php
    BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

I like hockey.

Re: Hockey East Awards

That rookie team's a joke. First off, how does a team have 7 players? Second, I'd take any two of Chiasson, Mullane, Whitney, Vermeersch and Shemansky over Kreider and Stalberg. Kreider might be the most talented of that group, but he didn't have a good enough season to land on this team.

ETA: I agree with Rawlings, though, and I agree that those are the 3 best freshman defensemen. I just don't understand why all 3 made it. I'd take away Nicastro.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
    2009-10 All-Rookie Team
    Chris Rawlings (North Delta, B.C.) - Northeastern - Goaltender
    Brian Dumoulin (Biddeford, Maine) - Boston College - Defense
    Jake Newton (San Jacinto, Calif.) - Northeastern - Defense
    Max Nicastro (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) - Boston University - Defense
    Stephane Da Costa * (Paris, France) - Merrimack - Forward
    Chris Kreider (Boxford, Mass.) - Boston College - Forward
    Sebastian Stålberg (Gothenburg, Sweden) - Vermont - Forward
    * unanimous selection
    Weird to see two kids from Cali and one from France. Says a lot about hockey...
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    That rookie team's a joke. First off, how does a team have 7 players? Second, I'd take any two of Chiasson, Mullane, Whitney, Vermeersch and Shemansky over Kreider and Stalberg. Kreider might be the most talented of that group, but he didn't have a good enough season to land on this team.

ETA: I agree with Rawlings, though, and I agree that those are the 3 best freshman defensemen. I just don't understand why all 3 made it. I'd take away Nicastro.
    I thought it a bit absurd as well. Nicastro will probably be in the NHL someday and I thought played very solid at the end of the year but if he was on the Mack, NU, UMass, UML, PC, his name wouldn't be on this list.

Agreed with the forwards too. Until BC went on this February scoring binge, Kreider wasn't even on the radar. Heck, Brodhag had the same number of goals and more points and probably wasn't a consideration (I'm not saying he should have been, just pointing out the absurdity of the selection).

If they could add a D Man, they could easily add a forward spot or another goalie.

Also known as the Southern Dandaaay

Biggest joke on the list is Braun as DD over Dehner. Neither the stats nor play on the ice support that pick.

I like hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Patronick View Post
    Biggest joke on the list is Braun as DD over Dehner. Neither the stats nor play on the ice support that pick.
    Although I agree that Dehner is the best defensive d-man in the conference, I'm not gonna go as far as calling it a "joke." Braun is very, very good, and not just offensively.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Although I agree that Dehner is the best defensive d-man in the conference, I'm not gonna go as far as calling it a "joke." Braun is very, very good, and not just offensively.
    After seeing Braun against BC in the playoffs, it's anything but a joke. Kid is a special player.

I like hockey.

Brian Foster first-team goalie. Yeah okay.

Quote Originally Posted by UMLGoon View Post
    I should be surprised, but sadly...
    Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Also known as the Southern Dandaaay

We have a new champion in the "most absurd" category...

Foster over Hutton? Laughable.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by UMLGoon View Post
    It makes sense. I mean, Hutton was only the Goaltending Champion. It's not like he was the best goalie in the league.

Wait...
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

There was no joy in Orono.

Chris Kreider had 13 goals, which I believe was the most goals of any rookie except Da Costa. If you look at the selection of Butler as POY and Marcou being second team, as well as similar choices over the years, you'd see the voters always value goals over points.

Also, Foster led the league in minutes and wins. That means something. I predicted Hutton but I don't think its an awful choice.
    Last edited by BoSox3066; 03-18-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

reloading...

Dennehy having to share COTY with Umile is a joke!

Is it a requirement to have one of the "big 4" coaches win this award every year (except for Jerry York, of course)?
    Boston College Eagles
    NCAA Champions
    1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Bentley University Falcons

Quote Originally Posted by lah02476 View Post

Is it a requirement to have one of the "big 4" coaches win this award every year (except for Jerry York, of course)?
    Dennehy should have run away with this.
    Monty

My bad.

Was this thing picked before Umile choked last weekend? That is a freaking sham. That COTY award will go great next to his RS title trophy!!!!

What's up with putting 3 DMen on a bunch of these freakin teams? Jeez.
    Quote Originally Posted by reBlur View Post
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by lah02476 View Post

No, Cronin won last year. There are always arguments but definitely some puzzling decisions this year. Foster had a good year and looked pretty good the couple times I saw him but never seemed better than Hutton. Reminds me on the year Bob Welch won the Cy Young over Clemens with 27 wins but an ERA over three. Clem had something like 21 wins and an ERA under two. Just because you have most wins doesn't mean you're the better pitcher. Or goalie.

Regardless, congrats to all the kids who were honored!

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
    Was this thing picked before Umile choked last weekend? That is a freaking sham. That COTY award will go great next to his RS title trophy!!!!
    Yup. They're regular season awards. Which is a shame, because Dennehy probably would have been helped by his team losing at BU...

And the RS title is probably the reason UNH won. They lost a lot of talent from a team that finished tied for third last year, didn't add much in the way of Freshman talent, and finished first. That kind of thing might have swayed some voters.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

HAVE SOME CLASS

Quote Originally Posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
    Yup. They're regular season awards. Which is a shame, because Dennehy probably would have been helped by his team losing at BU...
    Merrimack took BU to the limit, definitely exceeded most expectations, so yes by comparison. I'd say to make Dennehy share it is pretty bad. What Umile did was pretty impressive, but it's not like they were terrible last year. Merrimack has been in the basement for a long time and hasn't been in the playoffs in quite a few years. I'm not sure what their highest finish ever was, but 6th was above everyone's expectations considerably.

My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
    Yup. They're regular season awards.
    Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Seriously, how could I write that?
    Quote Originally Posted by reBlur View Post
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Thread Information