Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The DIII Snub On WPTZ

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
    Hey come on folks ... give Channel 5 some slack ...

I agree Channel 3 does a great job ... Mike, Seth and Tony are all excellent reporters and they work their butts off ... (so do Kristian and Whitney at Fox44).

But before you trash WPTZ's sports department take the time to check how much time they have to work with compared with Channel 3 ... it isn't even close.

Sports on WCAX is an important part of the broadcast ... at WPTZ it is an after thought. But that isn't the sports department's fault. That rests completely with their bosses ...

As for not liking hockey ... give me a break.
    Ken Drake is Ducky's son!
    Didn't knock the people, just the lack of coverage If DEV didn't cover the upcoming NU hockey, I'd slam Ken, not you.
    Last edited by peddler; 03-17-2010, 10:41 PM.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

ya'll could wait 'til you play Oswego and watch Laker Lowdown on Youtube

Comment

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W45DRy7M1no&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W45DRy7M1no&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
        WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
        NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
        WIAC Championships: 10-11
        NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
        NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
          Hey come on folks ... give Channel 5 some slack ...

I agree Channel 3 does a great job ... Mike, Seth and Tony are all excellent reporters and they work their butts off ... (so do Kristian and Whitney at Fox44).

But before you trash WPTZ's sports department take the time to check how much time they have to work with compared with Channel 3 ... it isn't even close.

Sports on WCAX is an important part of the broadcast ... at WPTZ it is an after thought. But that isn't the sports department's fault. That rests completely with their bosses ...

As for not liking hockey ... give me a break.
          Ken Drake is Ducky's son!

They have plenty of time! Channel 5 local news runs from 5:00pm until 6:30pm and in that hour an a half they repeat some of the same stories 3 times! They forget where they started, in Plattsburgh as WIRI TV. It is just felt by more locals that more time should be given to Plattsburgh news and sports.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

This was brought up last season, and I don't think the situation has really changed much from then to now, so I'll just repost my thoughts:
            The whole WPTZ/WCAX thing is interesting because it's a case study in the actions of a conglomerate-owned station versus a locally owned one. When Hearst-Argyle bought out WPTZ, they saw a station that was still giving relatively equal time to the Plattsburgh side of its market despite the huge population and economic hit caused by the airbase closure, so they shifted news coverage waaaaaay over to the Burlington side of things.

Meanwhile WCAX, which is able to respond to changes in local favor more easily due to its independent ownership, has taken advantage of recent information like the early success of Plattsburgh's new airport, the saving of Rouses Point's pharmaceutical plant, and the upswing in PSU sports on a whole as an opportunity to accomodate Plattsburgh viewers disenfranchised by the cold shoulder dictated to WPTZ by Hearst. Which is fine by me, as I've preferred WCAX's general approach to sports coverage over WPTZ's ever since Blaine Applegate moved on.
            Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
            A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
            A Handful of ECAC West Championships
            A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
            Some National Championships:
            Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
            Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Working...
            X