Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    To me it indicates they really aren't willing to put a bigger committment into the program. Time will tell I guess, good luck to the new head man.
    Agreed. If it takes 400-500k to land Gwoz or another top head coach from elsewhere, do it. You will reap the dividends. They will instead roll the dice with an assistant from somewhere for 1/3 the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      As far as loyalty goes, why is it that when a successful coach or player leaves one team for another, he is being disloyal. But when he is having a tough season, the fans call for his head on a platter? Doesn't loyalty run both ways? Nobody ever seems to cry, "Where's the loyalty..." when the coach who had a losing season reigns...
      Because we're all fans of particular teams and those teams are the navel of the universe and anything we want and need for that team is being 'loyal'. Anything we don't like, want or need is just flat out disloyalty and something to be squashed at the first opportunity! !

Comment

OSU can't go wrong with either of those canidates, but I would be catious as a fan of OSU with this being their choice. To me it indicates they really aren't willing to put a bigger committment into the program. Time will tell I guess, good luck to the new head man.
        I have to agree with you RHM. I, like others, am a little disappointed that the process doesn't appear to have a successful head coach coming in to move the program forward. From the outside looking in, this looks like they didn't want to pony up the cash for the big splash.

If they go with Casey Jones then I ask why that didn’t happen before he left when they first contemplated firing Markell in 2005 or 2006. I think any of the 3 mentioned are going to have to prove they can be "THE" head coach, where as the bigger name established coach would have added some instant credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister View Post
          Agreed. If it takes 400-500k to land Gwoz or another top head coach from elsewhere, do it. You will reap the dividends. They will instead roll the dice with an assistant from somewhere for 1/3 the cost.
          Boy, you're the guy I want in charge of my athletic department budget! Let's increase the head coach salary by $175-275,000. Now he'll want top notch assistants too, so let's add another $100,000 there. Now, how do we make up that $275-375,000 in our budget? And you can't take football or basketball money and slide it down the hall to the hockey office...
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

To me it indicates they really aren't willing to put a bigger committment into the program. Time will tell I guess...
            IIRC, Miami hired a kid just 5 years out of undergrad with no significant head coaching experience to build their hockey program and it seems to have worked out for them. There are many reasons an organization might emphasize younger talent in a situation such as this. I think it is pretty naiive to think it relates at all to penny pinching on salaries or lack of programmatic commitment. The program had stagnated and is in need of significant new perspective and energy. If I wanted to take a program with a reasonably strong infrastructure and the potential to improve significantly to a new level and sustain that new, higher level of performance over an extended period of time, I would look for young talent and build significant performance incentives into the relationship rather than going for a big-name quick fix. But I'm not Gene, so what do I know...
            Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Boy, you're the guy I want in charge of my athletic department budget! Let's increase the head coach salary by $175-275,000. Now he'll want top notch assistants too, so let's add another $100,000 there. Now, how do we make up that $275-375,000 in our budget? And you can't take football or basketball money and slide it down the hall to the hockey office...
              You just described the current coaching salary situation at OSU...

And as for the Casey Jones situation...Casey was smart to get out before the ship went down. He gave himself a chance to return with new credentials and a couple years of experience under a different system. This is what CJ needed to set himself up as a head coach candidate.

My preferences are:
              1. Gwoz (still think he is really applying and don't believe the article)
              2. Jones
              3. Put Oz and Cav in a hat and pull a name
              4. Another assistant from a top 10 program yet unnamed
              5. A head coach from a successful USHL franchise
              6. Markell
              7. Pooley
              Last edited by busboy; 04-22-2010, 08:58 AM.
              OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

OK, I'll take the job, OSU needs someone in charge who will promote hockey.
                List of things to do:
                1. Hire Gowz
                2. Bring back the OHC; year one well be outdoors in Ohio Stadium.
                3. Build a hockey only facility, what building do I knock down? Jack Nicklaus museum, replace with Jack Nicklaus Ice Center.
                4. "Carol Cartwright slap shot night" when Bowling Green comes to town.

Comment

Casey HAD to leave. Markell was a sinking ship, and if he stays here and rides out the end of Markell's tenure he never gets a chance at the HC job here. Be honest, if he had been here for these past three seasons nobody would want him to e essentially promoted tohead coach.

I loved Casey, although not sure if they should hire him. I think they need to go in a whole different direction. The only good thing is that none of hte players left here were players under him so they may not view it as the same 'regime.'

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    What happens if the Wisconsin job opens up in a year or two?
                    Gwoz would be my first choice.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by busboy View Post
                      1. Gwoz (still think he is really applying and don't believe the article)
                      Its articleS

If Gwoz was unhappy at Denver why did he spend all year trying to renegotiate a contract that doesn't expire until 2014?

Why would he leave best ever incoming recruiting class to go to Ohio State?

If he wants to leave Denver, why not wait until next year when the Michigan State, Michigan or Minnesota jobs might be available?

OBTW, if you want to hire a coach like Gwozdecky, you'll need to bring the whole "posse" along. He'll want his assistants, trainers, managers, charter flights, upgraded recruiting budget & Hockey Operations people. Figure about $1 million per year. Not saying that Ohio State can't afford it, but you'll need to start drawing more than 500 fans to a game.

At the end of the day, the Ohio State job is a young man's game. It will take someone with a tremendous amount of mojo to turn it around and bring in the fans.
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 04-22-2010, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Gwoz' only daughter is 16 which is not the age you'd want to move out of town, either.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                          Its articleS

OBTW, if you want to hire a coach like Gwozdecky, you'll need to bring the whole "posse" along. He'll want his assistants, trainers, managers, charter flights, upgraded recruiting budget & Hockey Operations people. Figure about $1 million per year. Not saying that Ohio State can't afford it, but you'll need to start drawing more than 500 fans to a game.

At the end of the day, the Ohio State job is a young man's game. It will take someone with a tremendous amount of mojo to turn it around and bring in the fans.
                          OSU primarily uses charter flights, and often they use the Columbus Blue Jackets' plane when that team is playing at home. They still average over 3K per game despite the last three years of the Markell regime.

The point here is that OSU has the financial ability to spend far more than Denver. You don't want to get into a money battle with this athletic department. The only question is "do they want to spend the money."

I don't think they will, but if they do the $$$ won't be the reason that your guys stays at home.

Gwoz' only daughter is 16 which is not the age you'd want to move out of town, either.
                          Much better reason he stays in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
                            I have to agree with you RHM. I, like others, am a little disappointed that the process doesn't appear to have a successful head coach coming in to move the program forward. From the outside looking in, this looks like they didn't want to pony up the cash for the big splash.

If they go with Casey Jones then I ask why that didn’t happen before he left when they first contemplated firing Markell in 2005 or 2006. I think any of the 3 mentioned are going to have to prove they can be "THE" head coach, where as the bigger name established coach would have added some instant credibility.
                            I agree with HckyDoc...an assistant or young guy isn't the answer...look how well Scotty Paluch did at BG.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckeyeHockey View Post
                              Casey HAD to leave. Markell was a sinking ship, and if he stays here and rides out the end of Markell's tenure he never gets a chance at the HC job here. Be honest, if he had been here for these past three seasons nobody would want him to essentially promoted to head coach.
                              Be honest, the reason Casey left is really unknown. The Sinking Ship is a conspiracy theory pushed by the anti-Markell group. One theory was that the Cornell head job was about to open. Last, he may have just wanted to return home. The real reason will most likely be never known.
                              All I know is that the year Casey left, OSU made the NCAA's, ship was still afloat.
                              Lammers left because he got a better deal elsewhere. OSU won't give assistants multi year contracts, except in football and basketball. I'd feel better if OSU would have Given Lammers a two year deal. He still would be here and that would mean a hockey person would be looking over the program right now. Is anyone making sure players are hitting the weight room? Short sightedness by the AD.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckDoctor View Post
                                I agree with HckyDoc...an assistant or young guy isn't the answer...look how well Scotty Paluch did at BG.
                                Even worse, Delcastillo at Alaska, one disastrous year and done. If not Gwoz, bring in Smith and let Jones go to a starter school like Canisius.

Comment

Working...
                                X