• Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2010 Offseason

"Just for thought...QURugBandit44 = Jordan Zitoun? Just sayin."

Fair question. :Awaits response:

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
      Just for thought...QURugBandit44 = Jordan Zitoun? Just sayin.
      ahahahahaha... that was a thought of mine, but rug bandit sounds like he was apart of the program for more than just one year.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
        Don't give me the RIT response because that was an anomaly.
        I may be becoming a RIT homer, but I just don't know if you can call their success as a D1 program an anomaly. They've had GREAT success nearly their entire time in D1. If anything, RIT should be looked at as a model program in how it has been built and how it is coached... not a knock against Rand, but that was a team with a helluva lot of hustle and heart. Just imagine what QU could do with that level of hustle and heart with their superior talent.

Comment

I kinda like the lively off-season discussion even if it is getting heated.

Comment

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
            ahahahahaha... that was a thought of mine, but rug bandit sounds like he was apart of the program for more than just one year.
            I was thinking about Zitoun, too. Wasn't he the one with the crazy dad who got his story in the Register?

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
              I was thinking about Zitoun, too. Wasn't he the one with the crazy dad who got his story in the Register?
              Yes.

Comment

I may be becoming a RIT homer, but I just don't know if you can call their success as a D1 program an anomaly.
                I'd say the anomaly was their run in the tourney. They certainly earned everything they did in the NCAA's by outplaying their opponents so I'm not saying they weren't deserving. I agree that overall they've done a fabulous job as a program at the D1 level to get where they are.

Just imagine what QU could do with that level of hustle and heart with their superior talent.
                Watching RIT in the tourney was my first exposure to them so I'm not sure I can comment properly about them. As for the Bobcats, I saw this years team display some incredible heart and hustle, especially early on. They peaked a little too early in my opinion but with 13 freshmen seeing significant ice time that wasn't entirely suprising.

Wonger's content to give the team another 2 years before thinking about wholesale changes. Myself, I think it's 3... give this years freshmen a full 4 seasons to make some noise. If not, then maybe it's time to look at other options.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                Northeast Regional:
                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post

Wonger's content to give the team another 2 years before thinking about wholesale changes. Myself, I think it's 3... give this years freshmen a full 4 seasons to make some noise. If not, then maybe it's time to look at other options.
                  What are your thoughts if QU were to make a step backward next year? Say fall out of the top 8 and into the bottom third of the league? While I'm not ready to count out Rand yet, if QU were to be unable to secure at least a home playoff series, my support would definitely begin to falter.

Comment

What are your thoughts if QU were to make a step backward next year? Say fall out of the top 8 and into the bottom third of the league? While I'm not ready to count out Rand yet, if QU were to be unable to secure at least a home playoff series, my support would definitely begin to falter.
                    We were dangerously close to that this year!

I guess it would depend on the circumstances. What if we get riddled with injuries? That's not something directly in the coaches control. On the other hand, if we flat out stink up the joint then I might be inclined to start worrying.

Again, my opinion of what a head coach at the D1 level is supposed to do is probably different than yours and others. To me, it's much more than the on-ice product. Sure, I want a league title and a trip to the FF as much as the next guy, but it's really not all about winning, is it?

I'll say this (and I believe I've said it before): my support for Rand and his staff is based on his past record; what he's done to get the team to this point. It's going to take more than one bad year to sway me. While we may not have made it to the promised land yet, we've been a very competetive team right from our first ECAC game, and we still are. Sure, we've lost some ugly games, but we've won a bunch that nobody thought we would (or should) as well.

Also, keep in mind that I'm still a hockey novice. I'll be the first to admit I don't fully understand the game. Maybe that causes me to see things in a different light than those of you who've been around it longer and maybe even played some.
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                    Northeast Regional:

Comment

Remember how strange last year was for us, too. The team did never give up on Rand -- they played hard almost every night. The puck just didn't find a way into the net. It's not like this was a bad team this year. They just got beat a lot. But it really wasn't their own doing. It's not like they were the Rangers in the NHL. They just got some awful luck, lost their confidence, and faltered.

But yes, if they fall under 8th, I'd start to get a little concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                        It's not like this was a bad team this year. They just got beat a lot. But it really wasn't their own doing.
                        They had two "bad" games this season. First was the loss at Brown the night after the Yale loss. They were terrible that night (I was there and so was Minni who will probably agree). The other game where they stunk up the place was the tie at Holy Cross. Possibly the worst performance I ever witnessed from a Bobcat team. Wonger and I actually left there slightly embarrassed that night.

Other than that, I felt they were in almost every other game they played. Bad luck and a few key mistakes were the difference in most of them. I honestly don't remember thinking we were going to get beat going into any game.

Then again, I'm the eternal optimist when comes to Bobcat hockey!
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          They had two "bad" games this season. First was the loss at Brown the night after the Yale loss. They were terrible that night (I was there and so was Minni who will probably agree). The other game where they stunk up the place was the tie at Holy Cross. Possibly the worst performance I ever witnessed from a Bobcat team. Wonger and I actually left there slightly embarrassed that night.

Other than that, I felt they were in almost every other game they played. Bad luck and a few key mistakes were the difference in most of them. I honestly don't remember thinking we were going to get beat going into any game.

Then again, I'm the eternal optimist when comes to Bobcat hockey!
                          That's my point -- we could have very easily been a 25-win team, Top 20, top 4 in the league. All it took was a bounce or two in 4-5 games. This wasn't a bad hockey team. They weren't great, but they weren't bad.

Comment

"...but it's really not all about winning, is it?"

Yes it is.

/discussion.

The Rangers huh? They're quite the beacon of tireless effort...

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn57 View Post
                              "...but it's really not all about winning, is it?"

Yes it is.

/discussion.

The Rangers huh? They're quite the beacon of tireless effort...
                              That's my point!! I said they're NOT like the Rangers, who decided not to show up for half the season.

The Bobcats showed up almost every night but got tough breaks all year. That's just bad luck that will hopefully turn around next year.

Comment

I have done my best in communicating why Rand Pecknold’s contract should not be renewed when it expires in 2012. Some of you are too stubborn to change your minds, some of you obviously have emotional ties to Rand, and some of you are just unwilling to hear the truth. I know what I am talking abut in this situation. On the bright side, some of you are seeing the light and realize that Rand Pecknold is not a good enough coach for where we all want the program to go. In time you will see I was right...someday QU will hire a coach that prepares his players for the next level, while repairing the damage that has been done the the programs reputation over the years (due to Rand). Until that time, myself and many other alums will continue to deflect all talented prospects I come in contact with away from the program. I hope I have opened some eyes as to what has really been going on behind the scenes.

-QURugbandit44

P.S. This is not Zitoun. Without revealing too much I played professionally for several years after QU. East Coast League and American League.

Comment

Working...
                                X