No announcement yet.

Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

Agree wholeheartedly on the higher standards. And I read on one of the AP article comments that there was no fight. I am also the last person on earth who will defend a cop. So I also agree that the truth is likely in between. But at the end of the day, I want my team leaders to stay out of jail. Whatever that takes.

Speaking of that, my brother brought up a good point that a team has to dress a captain for each game, so my previous statement that no one would be wearing a letter for the first month or so (other than my sarcastic comment that the coaches should wear them) has to be amended.

So I was thinking, I've never read anything negative about Eric Ringel and since he got such a raw deal and probably can never play another game for ND without suffering even more health consequences, Coach Jackson should dress him, give him the letter, but obviously not let him skate. When there is an issue that needs clarification, he can jump onto the ice, talk to the refs and report back to the bench.

I can't believe how angry I am at this whole issue. I may not be on the team, but I have invested a ton of money, time and travel supporting this team for over 3 decades, and I believe I have the right to be angry at the selfishness of players who don't take other teammates (assuming there was at least one or two who didn't get arrested), their coaches and trainers or their fans into consideration when deciding how to conduct themselves.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

• Re: Notre Dame hockey off-season...beware the "I'ds" of March and other ponderings

The scuttlebutt coming from the football camp (and to a lesser extent Mike Brey's operation) will be that all discipline for the latest off campus mixer will be "internal."

It's easier to sit a 3rd stringer in a football game and not have it stand out, or a number of freshmen not expected to play initially (especially since football has no "exhibition games -- although some with tickets to WMU may feel otherwise), something you cannot do as covertly with a hockey team, and certainly not with a basketball team. If Tim Abromaitis sits a game, I think he'll be missed pretty readily. So does this mean we can expect none of the personnel from any of the programs involved to miss any actual games?

Now Jeff Jackson, Mike Brey, and Brian Kelly are all different guys and have different ideas about how to maintain discipline within their respective teams, so what happens with one team may not necessarily be what happens in another. Additionally, I'd prefer the discipline take some other form than sitting for any real games, especially for those whose only transgression was minor consumption/in possession. Why punish the teammates who aren't getting arrested every other week and have the sense to maintain some level of maturity, even if they do have a beer or two before their 21st birthday.

As a fan, I'm inclined to feel I have no real need to know in what form the slap on the wrists are delivered. I just want to know people are learning lessons about obligations, loyalty to ALL your teammates, and making sure no one on the team is operating with even a shred of an inflated sense of entitlement. And after last season I would think that last point is especially pertinent.

ETA the following

I'm not softening my disappointment in these players, by any stretch, by feeling that massive suspensions are an inappropriate response. Hardly. I'm massively disappointed, and contrary to the sense I'm getting that a lot of folks are feeling, I believe these athletes have brought some measure of shame and embarrassment to Notre Dame. Whatever is done I hope it comes with the caveat that ours is a society of second chances, but second chances only. Show us you can bring your priorities into focus. We can put it behind us. And like JJfP has mentioned more than once lately, we can get to some real hockey posting!
      Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I would think all ND coaches would want to work together with the ND school and athletic administration on these punishments, as so many athletes and different ND teams were involved.

You would not want to see the football players getting a slap on the wrist, while hockey players get big suspensions or vice versa, etc.

This is a good opportunity for ND overall to send a message about what kind of ship they run....

Comment

I suppose because it is news I'll post this. But check out this too. Some pretty nice comments about Sheahan. (scroll down a little way for the Sheahan stuff) Thank God he's been otherwise occupied. By all accounts, he seems to be progressing nicely. Both on the ice and between the ears.

As for the weekend shenanigans, I wish I could name names, but I won't, but suffice it to say this wasn't simply a party that got a little rowdy, no matter what else is flying all over the internet about "college kids just blowing off a little steam before the year gets underway." I'm not sure of all the individual acts, but there was more than enough happening to warrent the police being called to the location. Not to pile on or sound as if it is an overreaction, but situations like what happened have had the potential to turn a lot more serious than this one did, and have in the past. Now this isn't to say I agree with some of what happened to some of these students, but this WAS NOT simply a case of a lot of Notre Dame kids being picked on and having their civil rights violated by the "townie" police force. I'm not sure what some of the "sources" are for some of what is floating around out here, I only know what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
            ...But check out this too. Some pretty nice comments about Sheahan. (scroll down a little way for the Sheahan stuff) Thank God he's been otherwise occupied. By all accounts, he seems to be progressing nicely. Both on the ice and between the ears.
            I noticed in one account that the Wings (a team thankfully not known for poaching college kids) personnel commented that he ought to be ready for the AHL in about 3 years, that he might spend 2 years there and should be ready for the big time then.

Season ticket order forms should be coming in about 2-3 weeks.

Captain's practices should start about 4 weeks after that.

And 76 days til we see this team (or some semblance of it) on the ice in a game.

Holy crap. We just talked hockey.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
              "We think he's a very good player, and it's not like they're the best team in their league. They're not Boston University or anyone like that."
              —Dale Hunter (Head coach, London Knights)

London Free Press: Snaring Tinordi pits Hunters and old foe
              Right city, wrong school, Dale....

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                ...Season ticket order forms should be coming in about 2-3 weeks...
                Wow. That 2 weeks flew by.

Order forms arrived today.

Tidbits include: The DTP thing is immediately before the exhibition game, you can get a long sleeved t-shirt for each season ticket holder, ND hockey is on Facebook (something this Luddite isn't party to--however, I have seen the choices for seats for the new arena pictured there) and Kyle Palmieri is included in the returnees. In light of recent events, one has to amend outcries of his stupidity and realize he's apparently one of many...

The start of the last season in the JACC is looming large in the rear view mirror.
                Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 07-20-2010, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Oh, I fully expect that. I imagine that he will be wanting some liquid lunches after the headaches he must be getting from his players.

As for

If that isn't motivation enough for this team to turn last season into a distant memory and prove it was an anomaly, I can't imagine what would be. Coach Jackson needs to go to Kinko's, have that quote printed in large block letters on a neon posterboard, laminate it and hang it up in the locker room.
                  Well they are not.... BU has won the national championship 5 times, ND never has.

It's like telling a cow he is not a horse.

You should not have to post anothers comments to motivate players. It should be self motivation to win that does it. Hunter simply said the obvious.

And I am a big ND fan and long time admirer of Jackson, watched him lose to Maine in natl championship game. Do though feel that starting with Poulin and continuing through last year, ND has vastly underperformed with the recruiting classes they have brought in.
                  Last edited by Hokydad; 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    Well they are not.... BU has won the national championship 5 times, ND never has.
                    Oh, so that's the difference between these two teams.

You should not have to post anothers comments to motivate players. It should be self motivation to win that does it.
                    Have you ever been a teacher, parent or coach?

Originally posted by Hokydad
                    ND has vastly underperformed with the recruiting classes they have brought in.
                    Last year, yes.

Comment

Do though feel that starting with Poulin and continuing through last year, ND has vastly underperformed with the recruiting classes they have brought in.
                      So when Jackson won 32 games and CCHA regular season and playoff titles (the first two titles of any kind by a Notre Dame hockey team, by the way) 2 years after they won FIVE games he underperformed?

Or the following season when he kept his team together through a very tough second half when they found trouble scoring, lost their leading scorer in the first CCHA playoff game, and yet ended up playing for a National Championship they underperformed?

Or in 2009 when they spent most of the year at or near the top of the rankings and won another pair of CCHA titles they underperformed?

I asked all of this because it seems as if you feel they may have, even though it sounds like you simply posed a question, despite the fact there wasn't one of these little dealies -- ? after it.

I will grant that Poulin's teams underperformed somewhat based on the talent he recruited in a couple of his seasons. But guess what, he's been gone for years so who cares? And yeah, last year the team underperformed but again, so what? That has already been hashed and re-hashed by posters I actually respect.

Why do I need to add yet another name to my ''ignore" list? Oh yeah, you just showed me why... Silly me I thought I had already done that with you. Oh well, no time like the present.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                        So when Jackson won 32 games and CCHA regular season and playoff titles (the first two titles of any kind by a Notre Dame hockey team, by the way) 2 years after they won FIVE games he underperformed?

Or the following season when he kept his team together through a very tough second half when they found trouble scoring, lost their leading scorer in the first CCHA playoff game, and yet ended up playing for a National Championship they underperformed?

Or in 2009 when they spent most of the year at or near the top of the rankings and won another pair of CCHA titles they underperformed?

I asked all of this because it seems as if you feel they may have, even though it sounds like you simply posed a question, despite the fact there wasn't one of these little dealies -- ? after it.

I will grant that Poulin's teams underperformed somewhat based on the talent he recruited in a couple of his seasons. But guess what, he's been gone for years so who cares? And yeah, last year the team underperformed but again, so what? That has already been hashed and re-hashed by posters I actually respect.

Why do I need to add yet another name to my ''ignore" list? Oh yeah, you just showed me why... Silly me I thought I had already done that with you. Oh well, no time like the present.
                        I say that only because I felt that after the great year they had a few seasons ago, they would have turned the corner with the players they had. They did not and took a huge step backwards last year.
                        Ignore?? Wow, won't be able to sleep tonight. You should ignore, just stick your head in the sand and the team might turn around.

Comment

Oh, so that's the difference between these two teams. Actually yes it is. Championships is what defines a program, not winning X amount of games. Ask UNH about that theory

Have you ever been a teacher, parent or coach? Yes, and coached more than one kid on ND in the past.

Last year, yes.
                          They have to many natl program kids and regarded recruits to lay an egg like that

Comment

They have to many natl program kids and regarded recruits to lay an egg like that
                            It was leadership and team chemistry. Or rather, lack thereof. Read back through last season's thread and you'll see my many, many posts complaining about last season's captains. If your leaders aren't leading you down the right path, you won't be successful.

Comment

It was leadership and team chemistry. Or rather, lack thereof. Read back through last season's thread and you'll see my many, many posts complaining about last season's captains. If your leaders aren't leading you down the right path, you won't be successful.
                              maybe
                              i doubt that made their top players perform poorly on pp etc

capts killed BU as well last year

Comment

capts killed BU as well last year
                                "...and on the seventh day, Warsofsky rested". LOL, you are such a clown Candyvan..
                                Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X